Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .40 semi-auto pistols (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/40-semi-auto-pistols-45336/)

gwidion 07-17-2011 05:07 AM

.40 semi-auto pistols

I want to buy my first handgun and I'm looking at .40 for home defense. I've narrowed it down to a few I like and that are in my price range:

M&P 40
Glock 22
FNP 40
Springfield XD

Right now I seem to be leaning towards the Glock but I haven't made up my mind yet. Any help would be welcome.

Jpyle 07-17-2011 05:18 AM

I have the XD .40 with a 5" barrel. Very nice gun, well balanced and not a lot of muzzle flip for a .40. Of the guns you listed that would still be my choice.

Never owned a Glock, the grip angle just doesn't feel right to me but that's a matter of personal preference. I would suggest going to a range that rents and shooting each of the models you are deciding on. The one that feels right to you is the best one for you. Aside from advice on reliability and durability, nothing that anyone can suggest to you can change how you feel about the gun after shooting it.

If I might ask, why a .40 S&W?

Werminator 07-17-2011 05:43 AM

I personally didn't think I would like a Glock due to its grip angle, but I shoot very well with my buddy's G23 gen 4. I like the .40 caliber chamdering, but I own a 9mm for a variety of reasons.

sweeper22 07-17-2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwidion (Post 543545)
I want to buy my first handgun and I'm looking at .40 for home defense. I've narrowed it down to a few I like and that are in my price range:

M&P 40
Glock 22
FNP 40
Springfield XD

There isn't much help that can be offered here. The 4 guns you list are good guns. In fact, they're of nearly parallel quality. And accordingly their cost is also nearly identical.

Handle them, figure out which fit and features you prefer. That's your answer. Beyond that these are pretty much rock solid, cookie-cutter variety poly 40's. Would you like vanilla, french vanilla, or vanilla bean?

M14sRock 07-17-2011 06:14 AM

You have narrowed it down to 4 excellent guns. Get the one you like best.

I'm a Glock fan, but would get a Gen4 if you want a .40SW.

AznZOhAn 07-17-2011 07:02 AM

I've got 2 Glocks 22 and 23. I carry the 22 at work and the 23 is my personal choice for off duty. I've got 20,000 rounds through it, I introduced it to salt water many times in Corpus Christi, kayaking, camping, I stored it in a freezer over night, through in gravel, sand, mudpuddles, and rocks, and I still shoot it flawless. Check out the Glocks, they're fair priced, reliable, easy to operate, great for beginners and novices, and easy carry concealed. Ask most police agencies and the military, the beretta cracked under pressure so they sent Glock 22s to Iraq and Afghanistan to replace them. Glock has earned a name for themselves.

cswann1 07-17-2011 08:27 AM

I'm always a fan of buying American. Although these days, it's sometimes hard to know if your money is actually staying home:rolleyes:

I was in a similar position 2 years ago. I looked at, handled, read about and asked about a lot of guns. Price was a factor, but I gave myself a budget of up to $800. I ended up choosing the M&P in a 9mm. I haven't yet had reason to regret the purchase.

gwidion 07-17-2011 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

jjfuller1 07-17-2011 01:51 PM

personally i like the xd. i have one and its very fun to shoot. recoil isnt to bad. its accurate as i am. the take down for cleaning is so simple i could do it with my eyes closed.

ScottA 07-17-2011 02:06 PM

I have an XDm 40 5". It is the best shooting handgun in my collection. It makes me look like a far better shooter than I am. ;)

I'm not a fan of Glocks, not because I think there is anything wrong with them. I have just never picked up a Glock that feels good in my hand. They feel like bricks to me.

Any of the other guns you mentioned would work just as well. Go with what feels right in your hands.