.40 S&W vs. 9mm: Best options? Good deal? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .40 S&W vs. 9mm: Best options? Good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
If the law in your state requires you to be 21 then you have no options. It is illegal for you to own a hand gun. Time moves fast so wait to when you can legally own a pistol and don't bet busted with an illegal firarm because it would be the last one you own.
WDB is right you realy need to wait until you are 21 so you can legaly own a CCW. You don't need a illegal firearm charge aganst you right now because you wouldn't be able to own a gun again, EVER.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereisnogod View Post
Q1:
So I'm looking for a self-defense/range gun in a medium caliber. This gun would mostly be for range shooting, but would be for self-defense as well. Using this criteria, would you steer me towards a 9mm or a .40 S&W (or maybe something else)?

Q2:
Since I am under 21, I will have to purchase this firearm via private sale. Therefore; I have two options.
-I know a guy who is selling a barely used Glock 23 with 2 mags, and all the original do-dads, for $650ish.
-There is a gun show in my town (Milwaukee) in 3 weeks.

What is the better option? Getting the Glock, or waiting for a 9mm/something else at the gun show? Where would I get the best price?

Your advice would be most appropriated, O knowledgeable pluribus.
You can get an XD 9 for less than that with more stuff, and it's a better firearm.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

If you can, rent a gun at a range until you can decide and are of age. I don't know your state, so I cannot really give much advice on age limits for handguns.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #14

Default Im in the same boat

Check it out man, im 20 years old and had to go through the same thing you do to own a handgun. I went through owning just about every caliber handgun out there, and the only thing i can tell you is get what fits your hand the best, and you shoot the best with. The caliber (most of the time) does not matter, what it boils down to is where can you hit and how many times can you do it. A 9mm is not a bad choice with the right self defense ammo (+p golden sabres, +PGold Dot Hp's). I am now on my 6th gun because nothing fit me right until i found my Sig p226 equinox in .40/.357SIG. I love the .357 SIG round for its penetration ability and transfer of bullet energy into the target. (Also a very accurate caliber!!!) Just find what you like and shoot the best and stick with it. A well placed shot toa vital area with a .22 is better then sucking with a .45 ACP!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The youth pastor at my church bought a Glock 23 at a gun show for $495, new. $650 sounds a little steep. + 1 on making sure it's legal for you to own first.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #16

well if it means anything at all. Atlanta PD just had a recall on 1700+ S&W M&P .40s. i would stick with a glock you can pick them up rather easy

Last edited by warrioroftheland; 06-10-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
You can get an XD 9 for less than that with more stuff, and it's a better firearm.
i have to disagree. The glock 23 is in 40 s&w BUT..... You can buy a 357 sig barrel and drop in it and still using the same 40 cal mags have a 357 OR you can but a 9mm barrel and slide and some 9mm mags and have a 9.... i dont think a xd can do that. 3 diffrent guys for an for alot less than what the price of three diffrent guns.... hmmmm i think the glock wins. dude i would say buy the 23 and have fun oh and btw they have a .22 kit for them too pick one up you'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroftheland View Post
well if it means anything at all. Atlanta PD just had a recall on 1700+ S&W M&P .40s. i would stick with a glock you can pick them up rather easy
I would like to see facts that back that up... what is the source of the info? I googled the Atlanta PD, M&P recall and every other imaginable combination and couldn't find a revelent piece of info.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 06-10-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #19

Default it IS legal.....

Ok you guys gotta read a little bit better. It IS legal for him to own a handgun not being 21, (like me in my state). You just cannot "conceal the weapon until you are 21 and have recieved your ccw. Also he must buy it in a private sale, not from a liscensed gun store. It is perfectly legal to carry openly under 21 and there are a few other good tips to doing so without bringing too much attention. A good idea is to carry your bill of sale with you in your wallet incase a LEO asks you about your handgun. Secondly, when carrying it in a car, you must have it out in plain sight and DO NOT KEEP THE MAGAZINE IN IT!!! I found this out the hard way but got let off with a warning.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I would like to see facts that back that up... what is the source of the info? I googled the Atlanta PD, M&P recall and every other imaginable combination and couldn't find a revelent piece of info.

myfoxatlanta.com | Atlanta Police Guns Recalled by Maker 060909

to my knowledge glocks dont have this problem

Last edited by warrioroftheland; 06-10-2009 at 10:33 PM.