Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .40 S&W vs. 9mm: Best options? Good deal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/40-s-w-vs-9mm-best-options-good-deal-14020/)

thereisnogod 05-21-2009 04:26 AM

.40 S&W vs. 9mm: Best options? Good deal?

Q1:
So I'm looking for a self-defense/range gun in a medium caliber. This gun would mostly be for range shooting, but would be for self-defense as well. Using this criteria, would you steer me towards a 9mm or a .40 S&W (or maybe something else)?

Q2:
Since I am under 21, I will have to purchase this firearm via private sale. Therefore; I have two options.
-I know a guy who is selling a barely used Glock 23 with 2 mags, and all the original do-dads, for $650ish.
-There is a gun show in my town (Milwaukee) in 3 weeks.

What is the better option? Getting the Glock, or waiting for a 9mm/something else at the gun show? Where would I get the best price?

Your advice would be most appropriated, O knowledgeable pluribus.

Megaton 05-21-2009 05:00 AM

Id say 650 is a little steep for that glock. You can find it brand new for less than that. I paid 500 for my glock 19 a year ago. They come with 2 mags.

9mm or .40s&w you should be a OK with either. I went with a 9mm because ammo is $5 or more cheaper per box of 50 so I can afford to shoot more. However in my area 40s&w is alot to get right now so that is something to consider. It may be different for you.

iloveguns 05-21-2009 03:01 PM

You can't go wrong with 9mm or .40's. Either one is a great bullet. I would say it just depends on if you can afford the 4 or 5bucks a box more for the .40's. I own both and would trust my life to both.

As for the Glock that is really high priced here in Idaho you can get a brand new one for around $500. I would do some more shopping around if it were me.

Good Luck:)

skullcrusher 05-21-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereisnogod (Post 107702)
Q1:
So I'm looking for a self-defense/range gun in a medium caliber. This gun would mostly be for range shooting, but would be for self-defense as well. Using this criteria, would you steer me towards a 9mm or a .40 S&W (or maybe something else)?

Q2:
Since I am under 21, I will have to purchase this firearm via private sale. Therefore; I have two options.
-I know a guy who is selling a barely used Glock 23 with 2 mags, and all the original do-dads, for $650ish.
-There is a gun show in my town (Milwaukee) in 3 weeks.

What is the better option? Getting the Glock, or waiting for a 9mm/something else at the gun show? Where would I get the best price?

Your advice would be most appropriated, O knowledgeable pluribus.

What are the laws in your state regarding possession of a handgun and under 21? It may be illegal for the guy you know to even sell it to you if he knows you are under 21. Plus, around here, a new Glock in .45 is just over $500, so that $650 is a rip off, imo.

WDB 05-23-2009 02:28 AM

If the law in your state requires you to be 21 then you have no options. It is illegal for you to own a hand gun. Time moves fast so wait to when you can legally own a pistol and don't bet busted with an illegal firarm because it would be the last one you own.

SGT-MILLER 05-23-2009 02:44 PM

For 650 dollars, you can purchase a Ruger P-95 in 9x19mm, and a Ruger P-944 in .40 S&W.

Why settle for one, when you can have both? :D

fragout 05-23-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 108296)
If the law in your state requires you to be 21 then you have no options. It is illegal for you to own a hand gun. Time moves fast so wait to when you can legally own a pistol and don't bet busted with an illegal firarm because it would be the last one you own.

I would listen to this advice if I were you. It aint worth the consequences you might find yourself in for the long run. This course of action could lead to never owning ANY kind of firearm legally for the rest of your days.
Best advice is to be patient, and in the meantime, research your state laws concerning ownership/possession of firearms. Before you know it, you will be old enough to buy me a beer at the local pub. I'm not picky when it comes to beer, and it will save you $650 bucks, minus cost of one beer. ;)

Megaton 05-23-2009 08:20 PM

It all depends on the state, in NV if you are over 18 you can legally purchase and own a handgun so long as it is purchased private party. You can't buy ammo for it though.

Rare Faction 05-23-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 107796)
What are the laws in your state regarding possession of a handgun and under 21? It may be illegal for the guy you know to even sell it to you if he knows you are under 21. Plus, around here, a new Glock in .45 is just over $500, so that $650 is a rip off, imo.

+1

In most states, it's illegal to sell handgun ammo to people under 21 as well, so you'd be paying a boatload for a cool looking paperweight

Pick up a nice rifle and have fun with that (assuming you're even over 18), and wait 'til you're 21 for the handgun

Darth AkSarBen 05-24-2009 03:03 PM

My mom bought the first handgun I shot when I was 18, living back in Nebraska. I reloaded for that Ruger Super Blakhawk .44 Magnum, and was good at shooting jack rabbits out at just a little over 100 yards with it. In NE I could posses a handgun, but not purchase one at 18. That was back in 1971. Each state is different and by Federal Law you cannot purchase a handgun until 21.

At the present way of things, that $650 is about normal. Our guns around here are ranging in the $550+ category and I saw a HK in 45 the other day for $999

Personally I own 2 Taurus pistols. A Millennium PRO .45 I got for around $399 new (with 2 magazine) and a 24/7 PRO .45 about 9 months ago for around $439 + tax.

I'd preferr the .40 S&W, aka 10mm short, as it is a bit larger than the 9mm. Ammo should be adequate for it, as it is adopted by many LEO departments, and I carried on in a Glock when I was a Deputy back in Nebraska. But, I'd really prefer the .45, which has been around a lot longer than the .40 S&W, and reloading is an alternative.