.40 cal rounds for home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .40 cal rounds for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default .40 cal rounds for home defense

I've heard, and read that hollow points are the best choice for home defense ammunition. I've also heard a lot of negative things about using hollows. Such as failing to penetrate through thick clothing. My Sr40 holds 15+1, and I figure at least a couple of them should get through lol. I'd like to know your guys' opinions on preffered home defense ammo. Particularly about what grain I should be using in my .40

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99zulu View Post
I've heard, and read that hollow points are the best choice for home defense ammunition. I've also heard a lot of negative things about using hollows. Such as failing to penetrate through thick clothing. My Sr40 holds 15+1, and I figure at least a couple of them should get through lol. I'd like to know your guys' opinions on preffered home defense ammo. Particularly about what grain I should be using in my .40
most major brands of JHP ammo is going to perform pretty much the same with a few exceptions. when dealing with ammo for personal protection such as CC, or SD/HD usage, my main criteria is that whatever ammo i choose to use performs reliabily in my firearm, whether it be a pistol or a shotgun.

if the ammo fails to feed properly or has any type of problems, it's pretty much irrelevent in how well it penetrates, it's expansion or how accurate that ammo is. my ammo going bang and coming out the barrel, everytime the trigger is pulled, is of much more importance than anything else.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I stagger hydra-shocks and flat tip fmj's for self defense. If for some reason the hollow doesn't penetrate the second shot will.
No ideal for in the home though.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have used Federal Hydra-Shoks for years as my self defense round. I know they have come out with newer, more flavor of the month ammo, but they've always worked well for me, and I've seen no reason to fix something that's not broken. And I can't imagine how thick ordinary clothing would be before they would fail to penetrate.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

IMHO .40 is perfectly good for home defense, to fight your way to a 12 ga.
Speer Gold Dot is reputed to be good ammo. The main thing is to have the ammo cycle the gun properly and hit the target. Don't panic and resort to the "spray-n-pray" method, take a half second longer and aim your shot(s). The old-time successful gunslingers, such as Hickock were not the fastest to draw and fire, but remained calm, took their time and aimed their shots while the BG's were firing shot after shot and missing.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3066 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

+1 on what Axxe55 just laid out.

Stick with major manufacturers' SD/HD JHP ammo. Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington & Speer are 5 names that you can trust.

This is an area where the newest, fanciest gizmo may not be your best choice.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I prefered the heavier grain hollowpoints just because of the better penetration over a lighter round.

Just shoot a couple of boxes of whatever you choose to make sure they feed with no issues. Now that I am up here, I use nothing but softpoints.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input

Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Don't panic and resort to the "spray-n-pray" method, take a half second longer and aim your shot(s). The old-time successful gunslingers, such as Hickock were not the fastest to draw and fire, but remained calm, took their time and aimed their shots while the BG's were firing shot after shot and missing.
I completely agree. I'm in the army national guard, and one time in the field we were expending unshot 5.56 ammo. We were shooting at posters of bin laden on three round burst from the standing postion at about 25 meters or so. One of the younger privates wasn't taking the time to aim every time he brought his weapon up, and out of 210 rounds he probably hit roughly 50.
I always tell my friends how important aiming is, and how un realistic tv shows are. The people on the walking dead are probably the best marksman in the world lol
Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I prefered the heavier grain hollowpoints just because of the better penetration over a lighter round.

Just shoot a couple of boxes of whatever you choose to make sure they feed with no issues. Now that I am up here, I use nothing but softpoints.

Ditto. Good advice Anna. I carry an HK USP .40 as a sidearm while hunting. I have taken down a 200 pound charging boar with a headshot using a .40 S&W magtech 180 grain hollow point round. I hit it with two rounds, but it dropped with the first shot. The round will take out both two and four legged pigs. As already said, run the chosen round through your mags to insure reliability.