Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .40 cal rounds for home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/40-cal-rounds-home-defense-99458/)

99zulu 10-24-2013 04:12 PM

.40 cal rounds for home defense

I've heard, and read that hollow points are the best choice for home defense ammunition. I've also heard a lot of negative things about using hollows. Such as failing to penetrate through thick clothing. My Sr40 holds 15+1, and I figure at least a couple of them should get through lol. I'd like to know your guys' opinions on preffered home defense ammo. Particularly about what grain I should be using in my .40

Axxe55 10-24-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99zulu (Post 1411835)
I've heard, and read that hollow points are the best choice for home defense ammunition. I've also heard a lot of negative things about using hollows. Such as failing to penetrate through thick clothing. My Sr40 holds 15+1, and I figure at least a couple of them should get through lol. I'd like to know your guys' opinions on preffered home defense ammo. Particularly about what grain I should be using in my .40

most major brands of JHP ammo is going to perform pretty much the same with a few exceptions. when dealing with ammo for personal protection such as CC, or SD/HD usage, my main criteria is that whatever ammo i choose to use performs reliabily in my firearm, whether it be a pistol or a shotgun.

if the ammo fails to feed properly or has any type of problems, it's pretty much irrelevent in how well it penetrates, it's expansion or how accurate that ammo is. my ammo going bang and coming out the barrel, everytime the trigger is pulled, is of much more importance than anything else.

mountainman13 10-24-2013 04:30 PM

I stagger hydra-shocks and flat tip fmj's for self defense. If for some reason the hollow doesn't penetrate the second shot will.
No ideal for in the home though.

txpossum 10-24-2013 04:35 PM

I have used Federal Hydra-Shoks for years as my self defense round. I know they have come out with newer, more flavor of the month ammo, but they've always worked well for me, and I've seen no reason to fix something that's not broken. And I can't imagine how thick ordinary clothing would be before they would fail to penetrate.

AIKIJUTSU 10-24-2013 04:35 PM

IMHO .40 is perfectly good for home defense, to fight your way to a 12 ga.
Speer Gold Dot is reputed to be good ammo. The main thing is to have the ammo cycle the gun properly and hit the target. Don't panic and resort to the "spray-n-pray" method, take a half second longer and aim your shot(s). The old-time successful gunslingers, such as Hickock were not the fastest to draw and fire, but remained calm, took their time and aimed their shots while the BG's were firing shot after shot and missing.

eatmydust 10-24-2013 04:36 PM

+1 on what Axxe55 just laid out.

Stick with major manufacturers' SD/HD JHP ammo. Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington & Speer are 5 names that you can trust.

This is an area where the newest, fanciest gizmo may not be your best choice.

Anna_Purna 10-24-2013 04:52 PM

I prefered the heavier grain hollowpoints just because of the better penetration over a lighter round.

Just shoot a couple of boxes of whatever you choose to make sure they feed with no issues. Now that I am up here, I use nothing but softpoints.

99zulu 10-24-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input :)

99zulu 10-24-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU (Post 1411874)
Don't panic and resort to the "spray-n-pray" method, take a half second longer and aim your shot(s). The old-time successful gunslingers, such as Hickock were not the fastest to draw and fire, but remained calm, took their time and aimed their shots while the BG's were firing shot after shot and missing.

I completely agree. I'm in the army national guard, and one time in the field we were expending unshot 5.56 ammo. We were shooting at posters of bin laden on three round burst from the standing postion at about 25 meters or so. One of the younger privates wasn't taking the time to aim every time he brought his weapon up, and out of 210 rounds he probably hit roughly 50.
I always tell my friends how important aiming is, and how un realistic tv shows are. The people on the walking dead are probably the best marksman in the world lol

Jagermeister 10-24-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1411905)
I prefered the heavier grain hollowpoints just because of the better penetration over a lighter round.

Just shoot a couple of boxes of whatever you choose to make sure they feed with no issues. Now that I am up here, I use nothing but softpoints.

Ditto. Good advice Anna. I carry an HK USP .40 as a sidearm while hunting. I have taken down a 200 pound charging boar with a headshot using a .40 S&W magtech 180 grain hollow point round. I hit it with two rounds, but it dropped with the first shot. The round will take out both two and four legged pigs. As already said, run the chosen round through your mags to insure reliability.