Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .40 cal myths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes227 View Post
The .40 S&W is the single most common LE round in the US, with 54% of police departments issuing this caliber. Ammo is abundant and reasonably priced - much less than .45 ($15 for 50 retail versus around $25/50) but more than the 9mm (as low as $10/50).
I'm always surprised to see members report .40 ammo shortages as well. Seems plentiful everywhere I look.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I'm always surprised to see members report .40 ammo shortages as well. Seems plentiful everywhere I look.
It's the exact opposite in my neck of the woods, you can find .40 S&W everywhere you go but 9mm and .45 fly off the shelves as soon as they are re-stocked

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have all three calibers in various guns. i like them all and at the end of the day shot dead is dead.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #24

Likes Given: 13

wiki has a somewhat interesting article on the history of the 40 s&w and its origins
.40 S&W - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #25

So after putting a few hundred rounds through my stepdad's Beretta Cougar 8000 (.40 SW), I've decided that the recoil (to me anyway) is marginally more than a 9mm and easy for me to control. I'm planning on purchasing a IWI Jericho 941 in .40 cal. I am guessing the relatively high weight and longer barrel should help tame the recoil even more. Whatever the case, I am looking into the Double Tap 165gr 1200 fps for a self defense round. The energy transfer looks good at ~525 ft-lbs. But at that velocity, will it be more susceptible to case failures?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #26

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_k View Post
So after putting a few hundred rounds through my stepdad's Beretta Cougar 8000 (.40 SW), I've decided that the recoil (to me anyway) is marginally more than a 9mm and easy for me to control. I'm planning on purchasing a IWI Jericho 941 in .40 cal. I am guessing the relatively high weight and longer barrel should help tame the recoil even more. Whatever the case, I am looking into the Double Tap 165gr 1200 fps for a self defense round. The energy transfer looks good at ~525 ft-lbs. But at that velocity, will it be more susceptible to case failures?
No. I shoot premium 155gr. defensive loads (TAP and others) extensively and most of them are in that range of vel/ft-lbs and have NEVER had a case fail. I've had great results accuracy wise with Hornady TAP and it's a little less snappy than the Double Tap offering.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #27

most of the pd's use the 40 cal for its knock down power and reliablity ,it took over the 9mm market

Old 06-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've shot around 800 rounds of factory and hand loaded 155gn JHPs, Speer gold dots mainly as that's the round my department issued until last year. We went to the 165gn GDHP last year although i'm not sure why. We've had zero problems with the 155gn load. I only load JHPs with KNOWN once fired brass. If I don't know it's once fired it gets loaded with medium velocity FMJs.

I guess I'm lucky to be living in central Alabama, other than a few months after BHO was elected as president all major pistol calibers have been plentiful. As others have said, the majority of police agencies in the US use .40.

From what I've seen and read, I believe that some of the case separation issues were also the cause of the case mouth not being fully supported in some Glock pistols, but they quickly remedied that problem.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2592 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Glock corrected a problem? Glock cannot even acknowledege there was/is a problem. Glock has not changed anything in their barrels and have corrected the problem just like any other irresponsible corporation...blamed it on someone else, ie the ammo used.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Glock corrected a problem? Glock cannot even acknowledege there was/is a problem. Glock has not changed anything in their barrels and have corrected the problem just like any other irresponsible corporation...blamed it on someone else, ie the ammo used.
A few years ago I read multiple advertisements in every gun magazine there was from several firearms manufacturers warning their customers about the Russian Wolf brand of ammo. I've know several officers from other agencies and gun shop owners who had customers who've had case mouth separations a.k.a. "Ka-booms" with this ammo within a year before those warnings started coming out. These occurred with AR rifles and other self-loading pistols, not just Glock. I guess you're saying that all of the manufacturers just blamed Wolf ammo?

Glock has made some changes to their pistols, some cosmetic, others for improved function and last, for safety. I'd hardly say that they have refused to acknowledge there was a problem.