.40 cal myths? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

.40 cal myths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, hell, we haven't had one of these threads in awhile.

Look, the .40 S&W was a .45 cartridge that was "downsized" by request of the FBI to make a big man's pistol capable of being controlled by smallish hands of diminutive and female recruits.

I carried the .40 S&W for YEARS and I never felt "undergunned" with it, especially in that I could carry a double stack of it.

Having said that, it's not a .45

It's slower than the 9mm, but hits with more "impact" and hits with less "impact" than the .45, but it's faster.

In a 180 grain hollow point, I think it would be devastating to the human body in rapid succession. Devastating. And this round is capable of delivering that if you have smaller than average hand size.

But a lot of the "stopping power" myths have been written over time. They take into account police and FBI shootings that happened 5, 10 and even 20 years ago when ballistics were first being studied.

Now, you take the average size of a defensive player in the NFl in say, 1985 and take a look at that exact same position today, you will see that it's grown by leaps and bounds.

Faster.

Stronger.

Bigger.

Jumps higher.

The same is true with the human condition. We have evolved as a species into a larger, bigger, sometimes fatter, version of our parents. That extends to criminals too.

Look, my old man was 5'-11" on a good day, and weighed less than 2 bills, my mom was 5'-9". I'm 6'-2.5" and I weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 240 pounds after losing 25 plus pounds.

A round that would have put my old man in the dirt in 1970, is going to be LESS EFFECTIVE against a guy my size today.

The same is true for the human condition and the use of handgun/small arms rounds today.

Somali. 1993. Battle of Mogadishu.

USA ELITE forces came up against malnourished, underfed people who were high on KHAT and just plain didn't go down when hit with 5.56mm small arms fire.

Society has changed.

But there is nothing wrong with the .40SW IF you practice with it and get to a point where you can put multiple rounds on target in a quick fashion.

It's a great round, but it's no longer my primary round as I was enlightened by the 1911 platform and have seen what it can do to test media.

Good luck.

JD

Old 05-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
The .40S&W is an MDR or Magic Death Ray load. Everything a 9mm wants to be and much cooler than a .45.

LOL,seriously........I sent M14SRock a pm to reply with what he posted, his post is genius.
Oh, boy...I can't wait to see how you define "genius". No PM came through though, bro.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3469 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 1521

I have a .40 and a 10mm. My range guns are the .45's, 9mm, and 10mm. The .40 sits in the safe for the niece.
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the .40, just that it is not my caliber of choice.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The Sig pistol in .40 S&W was chosen as the sidearm for the U.S. Coast Guard and is working well.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #15

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

My son got a Jericho chambered in .40 S&W, and I got a XD40. I can say with all honesty that his Jericho will out shoot my XD any day of the week. But both .40's are accurate and trouble free.

Would I use it for self-defense? Dam straight I would

Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #16

Just about all of us have 9's, 40's, and 45's, and we have our pics out of the three along with what gun manufacturer. It boils down to what you can feel the most comfortable with while shooting. As your training and experience evolves so will the round and weapon you choose to practice with. I Love all three calibers most especially the .45. With that said I carry my good old G-22 every day. I do not feel under gunned in any way shape or form with the .40. My son is just now getting into shooting and prefers the way his 9mm feels over the .40 or .45. Personal preference. You want really know what best fits you until you rent or borrow each caliber and have a play date or two at the range. Happy shooting and be safe.
Scott

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #17

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_k View Post
So I am planning on purchasing a semi-auto handgun mostly for range shooting, but I would like to be an effective self defense weapon as well. I am trying to decide between 9mm, .40 SW, and .45 ACP. There are boat-loads of forums saying this round is better than that....etc. One thing I came across was a few people saying that .40 SW tends to be less accurate than 9mm/.45 (assuming they are being fired from similar firearms), and also that the recoil from a .40 caliber handgun has a particular 1 o'clock roll (as opposed to straight back). Are these just a couple peoples opinions, or has anyone else experienced these issues with .40 cal?
Ammo development (bullet construction) has come such a long way and since most premiere SD ammo is designed to meet FBI standards the terminal performance between a good 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp is so close as to making it a virtual non issue.

I carry handguns in all of the above based on different concealed carry situations and not feel undergunned with any. My selection on .40S&W is 155gr HP because the folks that I know that actually shoot BGs for a living swear by them. I know of one particular outfit that shoots them by the 10's of thousands out of HK USP Compacts with no issues.

Felt recoil is more a function of handgun design than ammo selection. Some guns with a higher bore axis will "flip" more than others. A lot of it has to do with the shooter controling recoil or recoil controling the shooter.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Matt, welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, please stop by Introductions and tell us a little bit about you.

All three ammo types you listed are viable defense rounds. For the range, the 9mm is the cheapest and easiest to shoot.

I have guns in all three calibers. I shoot best with my .45, but they all do turns as my carry gun du jour, depending on what best suits my dress conditions that day.

As I understand it, the unsupported case issue was almost exclusively with earlier model Glocks.

Guns chambered in .45 tend to have bigger grips than guns chambered in 9mm or .40.

Quote:
It's slower than the 9mm, but hits with more "impact" and hits with less "impact" than the .45, but it's faster.
^^^^^^ Very well put.

The .40 is often referred to as a compromise round between the .45 and the 9mm. It's heavier, but slower, than a 9mm and faster, but lighter, than a .45.

Happy shopping!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #19

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

No experience with the 40cal-
Owned & carried 9mm & 45 for many-many yrs-
9mm is much cheaper to shoot & WILL kill the adverage human being
I still have & carry both (one or the other) & never even thought about being under guned
Besides- The 9 & 45 are availible most anywhere ammo is sold- The 40 not so much (leastwise here in East Texas)---

Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
40 isnt as common as 45 or 9mm they tend to be pricier for off the shelf. (
The .40 S&W is the single most common LE round in the US, with 54% of police departments issuing this caliber. Ammo is abundant and reasonably priced - much less than .45 ($15 for 50 retail versus around $25/50) but more than the 9mm (as low as $10/50).