.40 cal myths?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .40 cal myths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .40 cal myths?

So I am planning on purchasing a semi-auto handgun mostly for range shooting, but I would like to be an effective self defense weapon as well. I am trying to decide between 9mm, .40 SW, and .45 ACP. There are boat-loads of forums saying this round is better than that....etc. One thing I came across was a few people saying that .40 SW tends to be less accurate than 9mm/.45 (assuming they are being fired from similar firearms), and also that the recoil from a .40 caliber handgun has a particular 1 o'clock roll (as opposed to straight back). Are these just a couple peoples opinions, or has anyone else experienced these issues with .40 cal?

Last edited by matt_k; 05-08-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 76

not only have i heard them, i can debunk them (with my opinion/observations)
40 cal, when it was first introduced had inconsistencies. that much is true. there were issues with accuracy as a result. those bugs have long since been worked out. as far as how and where it recoils. that's kind of like a driver blaming his car for not driving straight. it will recoil/flip wherever the shooter allows it to.

as far as which is a better round? let's be honest. pure conjecture for the most part. the best one is the one that works for you.

you can't get shot 112 times with a 9mm and walk away.

a 45 acp will not drop the empire state building.

you can hit the broad side of a barn with a 40 s&w without being inside of it.

just my opinion and observation over the years... let the games begin.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

.40s shoot great, accuracy wise.

The issues with the .40 are that the case head is not reinforced, causing a weakness that can lead to ruptured cases. That is most often encountered with the light, fast bullets. Stay with the 165gr to 180gr at standard velocities and you should be fine. The round was designed to work with a 180gr bullet at 950-980fps.

Do not be seduced by the light, fast bullets.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
.40s shoot great, accuracy wise.

Do not be seduced by the light, fast bullets.
and don't disillusioned by super heavy, slow bullets, either.

With the tech nowadays, most handguns will shoot better than most average shooters.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
and don't disillusioned by super heavy, slow bullets, either.

With the tech nowadays, most handguns will shoot better than most average shooters.
I'm fairly sure that my post says to stick with 165gr to 180gr at standard velocities.

The light, fast bullets have fine terminal performance, but the unsupported case head makes them unsafe.

And any handgun is a marginal bet, at best, for self defense.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If it's going to be a range gun and home defense 9mm makes a lot of sense. Ammo is better priced for shooting a lot at the range and there are plenty of defensive rounds that will do the job.

Based on personal experience I like the 9mm for capacity, I find the .40 to have more of a snap to it than either the 9mm or the .45, if I recall correctly the snap comes from the bullet having a flat nose instead of a round nose. This was done to slow the bullet down but adds to the recoil. I like the .45 because it's sub sonic (slower moving) and puts a good size hole in what it hits. Shoot them all and decide what fits you best for your intended use.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Complement intended. I have heard of people taking the heavier 10mm bullets (200gr and more) and trying to put them in the .40S&W.

Stay with the recommended by M14sRock.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Complement intended. I have heard of people taking the heavier 10mm bullets (200gr and more) and trying to put them in the .40S&W.

Stay with the recommended by M14sRock.
I loaded a bunch of the 200s many years ago, and you are right. Lots of fun to shoot, but they did not "feel" very lethal.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

40 isnt as common as 45 or 9mm they tend to be pricier for off the shelf. if you reload it really doesnt matter which round. 9mm is actually the round with the least ammount of inhrerent accuracy. the accuracy of the round and and gun across the board for all guns and loadings s seldom a factor for the average shooter.

self defense comes down to putting rounds center mass fast. 9mm is the easiest centerfire round to master followed by the 45 then 40. the 40 has a snappier recoil making it a little harder for a new shooter. 45 has more recoil period making it a little harder to master.

9mm is the cheapest range ammo as surplus is common and cheap for non-reloaders.

it just depends on your skill level personal preferences and which negatives your willing to train around. there is no perfect SD round other than 12ga 00 buckshot but we cant carry a shotgun around

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The .40S&W is an MDR or Magic Death Ray load. Everything a 9mm wants to be and much cooler than a .45.

LOL,seriously........I sent M14SRock a pm to reply with what he posted, his post is genius.