Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To. 40 or to. 45... that is the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

When it comes to auto calibers I prefer 9mm, 45acp, 357sig, and then 40sw...in that order.

They're all good defense calibers. Each and every one. 40sw just seems a little snappier than necessary, although it does otherwise offer a happy medium of power, capacity, and affordable appetite. In my mind that counts for something, even if some will tell you how irrelevant the round is.

Buy whatever you like. Most competent shooters are capable of becoming skilled with any of these.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 1678

I've had a Taurus PT145 for over 5 years, and am well satisfied with it. It is perfectly adequate in terms of accuracy within 50', no ftf's, no jams, easy to control. Recoil is a non-issue. It is my main home defense pistol for when the house is dark and quiet. It is short enough to be difficult for a perp to grab and wrestle away, but has a 3.3" barrel. The matte grey stainless slide is pretty lo-viz in a dark room. And to quote the owner of Gary's Gun Room, "it makes nice, round holes"

Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #23

While they are both great caps to carry,I'm like my 40 . I seem to follow up my 2nd shot better

Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When you compare the price of .40S&W to .45ACP it makes sense to just start with the .45ACP, especially given the fact that the .45ACP is the better of the two calibers.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #25

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

if your truly interested in the 40 cal and looking for a lower priced but not lower quality firearm you could always take a look at the red headed step child . The S&W sigma .40 for around $300 new . I have had zero isues with mine and for about another $30 it can be upgraded to a Wolff recoil spring , guide rod and striker spring and now you really have something for alot less than many

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I like 40. Reason being is it shoots flatter than 45 with more grains than 9mm. Sure 9mm kicks less with your 115gr target ammo. But you dont carry target ammo, you carry +P 124/147gr, which means it kicks exactly the same as 40. In fact it's dumb to shoot an ammo you are not gonna carry. People who train with range ammo and shoot +P will be amazed how they can no longer punch 2" groups like they do at the range lol... So during summer I carry 165gr and winter 180gr for more cold weather clothing penetration. 45's have shown to bunch up with jackets and some LE I know prefer FMJ on their 45s because of it

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
I like 40. Reason being is it shoots flatter than 45 with more grains than 9mm. Sure 9mm kicks less with your 115gr target ammo. But you dont carry target ammo, you carry +P 124/147gr, which means it kicks exactly the same as 40. In fact it's dumb to shoot an ammo you are not gonna carry. People who train with range ammo and shoot +P will be amazed how they can no longer punch 2" groups like they do at the range lol... So during summer I carry 165gr and winter 180gr for more cold weather clothing penetration. 45's have shown to bunch up with jackets and some LE I know prefer FMJ on their 45s because of it
In the words of the Shihan..... THAT'S PREPOSTEROUS!

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you are taking the next step for more power, why not go to the .45? The only time I made a direct comparison with a .45 and .40 was when a friend and I were shooting at phone books about 2" thick from about 25 yards. I was shooting the standard 230-grain RN rounds from my .45 and they were doing a lot more damage to the phone books than what the other guy's .40 was. The difference was significant. I shot my friend's gun and I couldn't see much difference in recoil. I thought my 1911 was more controllable than his SW .40, but of course I have been shooting my gun for a long time.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #29

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Good points, Dizzll! And people always say how 9mm is less expensive to shoot but when you compare self defense loads, 40S&W often is the same price or lower due to the huge law enforcement market.

The 45ACP is a great SD round but nothing to apologize for using 40S&W, plus you have more magazine capacity.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good points, Dizzll! And people always say how 9mm is less expensive to shoot but when you compare self defense loads, 40S&W often is the same price or lower due to the huge law enforcement market.

The 45ACP is a great SD round but nothing to apologize for using 40S&W, plus you have more magazine capacity.
Defense ammo costs about the same, regardless of caliber. In my experience you can get excellent (Winchester Rangers, in my case) 9mm, 357sig, 40sw, 45acp, 38sp, and 357mag all for about the same price (Rangers= $25-30/50rds). The difference from one round to the next is truly negligible. I have all of them. The closest thing to a common defensive handgun caliber that I lack is a 380acp, 10mm, or 44mag.

But many of us run through range ammo by the thousands, so that's what ultimately counts with regard to our wallets. I keep about 100-300rds of JHPs stocked for each handgun caliber I shoot. I stock about 10X that in range ammo for each caliber...and it gets used and in turn replenished far more often than the defense ammo.

When it comes to 9mm vs 40sw, 357sig, 45acp, or even 10mm...I don't think there's a bad choice among them. It's all about what you shoot well and combining it with a platform that suits the shooter. They'll all do the job 99% of the time if you do. If a shooter is concerned with ammo cost, it seems all they need do is visit Walmart and perform a little math. FMJs are the only ammo cost worth considering in my mind.

40sw isn't my favorite caliber. In fact it's way down my list. I even prefer 357sig, which is probably a little nuts (financially, at least). But I can see why a lot people lean in that direction. Capacity + cost + power + commonality. Again, the happy medium. I'm not a Glock fan either. But a G23 ($500) with a 40-9 conversion barrel ($100) is about the most versatile setup a new shooter could hope for in a $600 platform.