Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To. 40 or to. 45... that is the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Truthfully, it's probably something you need to experience for yourself.
I know, but it doesn't hurt to have some user experience to expand my understanding of what I'm looking at and what to expect.

Knowledge, even when based on others' experiences, is still knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

I own both .40 and .45. I shoot the .45 more accurately. The .40 seems like an over powered 9mm.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #13

I think I'm going to go with a. 45. Still have much to think about in terms of more specifics, such as barrel length, overall weight, clip capacity, handle angle, and, of course (most importantly), cost. But, I'm definitely leaning toward the Taurus MilPro DUO. It's, unfortunately, a very short barrel, but few buy a 45 cal pistol with plans on distance shooting, or any handgun for that matter. I've handled it in stores and it feels good, even imagining the added weight of fully loaded clip. Plus, it's very aesthetically appealing! Hahahaha, I sound like a chick now.

My purpose for this question was to find a piece for home security. I have my 9mm for the car and plan on a LCP .380 for personal carry amd protection.

Thanks a ton for all the info and help fellas.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #14

Liked 729 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 698

I'm a fan of both the 45ACP and 40S&W (and the 9mm) and there are excellent pistol and ammo choices in all three calibers. I carried a Colt 45ACP as my sidearm for 35 years but have recently converted to a Glock 23 in 40S&W.

I'm average sized with average hands and am 63 years old but have no problem at all firing the 40SW. It is a little more "snappy" (for want of a better term) than the 45 but not a problem at all for anyone, say 5'9" and of average strength. Maybe it would be too much for someone smaller or with a physical issue. The recoil of the 45 is more of a shove instead of the small kick of the 40 but neither is really unpleasant. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to recoil but to me the report of most firearms is more of a factor than recoil, so use adequate hearing protection and of course eye protection and I doubt you'll care whether you're firing 40 or 45. (I do notice a hot .357 or .44 Magnum recoil, now that is snappy! But fun. For a while )

Of course a big factor is firepower and you get a lot more rounds into the 40's magazine which is the main reason I now carry the Glock 23. The same argument can be used for the 9mm but you definitely must use top quality JHPs for self defense to bring it up to the effectiveness of the 45ACP.

ETA:
I can't speak for Taurus in larger calibers but have had good luck with my Taurus MilPro PT111 DAO in 9mm. I do know many people haven't had good luck with Taurus.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #15

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I have seen this discussion play out numerous times with each caliber having its fans and its detractors, invariably the topic of "stopping power" will enter the conversation. Truth is all three rounds that you have mentioned are equally capable of putting down a bad guy, the important part being shot placement. Few people survive a well placed double-tap to the chest. This brings us to the concept of "well placed" center mass shots. Different calibers, barrel lengths, bullet weights and gun weights will produce different recoils, some can control the snappier recoils...some cannot. Point is the best caliber is a subjective decision that depends on what you are most comfortable and confident staking your life on. Best advice I can offer is to try them out. Try to shoot the different calibers in a similar gun and see which one you shoot best, 2nd and 3rd shots in quick succession as well. You may quickly find one round you prefer over the others.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Before you jump on the Taurus, look at the Glock G36 and the Springfield XD45 compact or XDm45 compact. The G36 is a single stack with a smaller grip than the other Glocks, carries 6+1 and weighs about 28 oz loaded. I would rather shoot it than a g23 in 40. The XD45 compact carries 10+1 and weighs about 35 oz loaded. A tiny bit bigger than the G36 but easier to control because of the extra weight and better ergonomics. The XDm is new and I have not seen one yet.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Tests I've seen show the wound channel for the .40 only sightly smaller than the .45 so I figure either is a good SD round. My first pistol was .40 S&W & I had no problem with the recoil, but when I bought my first .45, discovered that it was more enjoyable to shoot as it is not as 'snappy' as the .40.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #19

I feel the ONLY advantage the 40 has is capacity. Mine are far less pleasant to shoot than my 45s. In fact, I have gotten rid of all my 40s, except my 229. The 45 is just less work to shoot.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Before you jump on the Taurus, look at the Glock G36 and the Springfield XD45 compact or XDm45 compact. The G36 is a single stack with a smaller grip than the other Glocks, carries 6+1 and weighs about 28 oz loaded. I would rather shoot it than a g23 in 40. The XD45 compact carries 10+1 and weighs about 35 oz loaded. A tiny bit bigger than the G36 but easier to control because of the extra weight and better ergonomics. The XDm is new and I have not seen one yet.
The problem with is cost, that's why I'm going with Taurus. My cousin has one and we went out shooting it a few years back and it was awesome. Issue free, narry a missfire or jam. I think I'll give them a try and decide for myself.