To. 40 or to. 45... that is the question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > To. 40 or to. 45... that is the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default To. 40 or to. 45... that is the question.

So I've been doing a lot of exhausting reading on the subject of the 40 caliber, and am still left with the same question as when I started.

I am entertaining the thought of adding a higher cal pistol to my collection, but, being a small guy, I take more things into account than some more experienced and larger folk might. Things like size, weight, and recoil.

Any suggestions on which way I should go from those whom have experienced both in varying pieces?

Currently looking at the Taurus MilPro Duo. 40

Thanks all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I shoot 40, and if I had to do it again, I might go with 9mm. Just the cost of the ammo alone would be a big draw. The 40 is also a pretty snappy round, I shoot it out of a Beretta96A1, big gun. IMHO

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

I vote for the .45. I can find .45 ammo cheaper and more variety for it vs.

I had a .40, but traded it on a .45 to simplify ammo needs.

I also like the 9mm.

Now my pistol ammo is only .38/.357m, 9mm & .45, oh and .22lr.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I have more .45's in my inventory than .40's

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

.40 is the wanna-be solution to a problem that no longer exists... They made the 10mm (which is the only worthwhile auto caliber over 9mm, IMO) to overcome bullet deficiencies of the 80s, then weakened it down to the point that you get the same wounding as modern 9mm but with somewhat snappier recoil and reduced capacity.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 11-12-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

How 'bout getting both? Play with them for awhile to see what they're like. Then keep both of 'em. Each has its pro's and con's. The .40 spits out a medium weight (for defensive semiauto) bullet at a pretty high velocity, therefore a flatter trajectory for distance shots, hollow point expands well. The .45 fires a little heavier, wider bullet at a lower velocity (unless using a +P+ variety of ammo). The.40 penetrates well due to velocity, the .45 penetrates well due to momentum. One potential advantage the .45 has is added intimidation capability - the BG may think twice about continuing his attack if he's staring down a barrel with a hole big enough he could stick his little bitty head in it and still have enough room to wiggle his ears.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2820 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

In a small pistol, I find .40 noticeably more unpleasant than .45. It's still manageable though. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
In a small pistol, I find .40 noticeably more unpleasant than .45. It's still manageable though. YMMV.
Okay, but please do elucidate. How is the. 40 less pleasant?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My G22 "snaps". I actually prefer it though as I feel its a powerful indicator.

Something witty belongs here....

Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2820 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Okay, but please do elucidate. How is the. 40 less pleasant?
The .40 runs at much higher pressures than the .45 acp. I don't remember the specific numbers, but it is significant. Suffice it to say the .40 is a more "intense" cartridge, for lack of a better term. I'd be willing to bet that any number of members could explain it better than me. The recoil is best described as sharp and of course "snappy." To be honest I really thought it was much ado about nothing. Then I received a small alloy frame .45 and I was absolutely amazed at how much more pleasant to shoot than my .40, even with SD loads.
Practice with my XD40SC wasn't horrible, but not what I would call a joy either. The fact that I have a touch of arthritis in my wrists typically limited my practice to 50 or 60 rounds on a bad day. And to be fair, the XD40SC is a very good gun & I actually shoot it fairly well. But it it can become work rather than fun quickly.
On the other hand, my DW CCO is a bit sharper than a steel frame full sized .45, but still noticeably less harsh than the XD. I expected much worse in the recoil dept. I can easy put 100 rds through it in a range session and enjoy it.

I'm quite certain that I'm not the only one with a similar experience. I probably didn't explain my self very well. Truthfully, it's probably something you need to experience for yourself.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld