40 or 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 40 or 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 40 or 45

For one I wanna know which is better for self defense and I want to target shoot so average or cheap ammo

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
hmh

Liked 141 Times on 97 Posts

.45 for defense is better. But the .40 is no slob many .40 you can do a barrel swap to a .357 sig that round is a zipper. 45 is better for self defense but is more expensive to shoot. You can reload and cast your own bullets for under $0.10 a round.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #3

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Both are about the same cost. The 45 tends to be a little easier to shoot for many,as in the snap of the pistol. If you can hit your target well and can place quick accurate double taps 9mm may do. None of the defence cartidges are guarantied to stop a person with one shot. Try to find the size of the pistol you think you want, some may not work for you as a carry gun but be a way better range/target pistol. For most of use a CC gun you can carry year round with out to many compromises would be a sub to compact size. A full size works better at the range and reguardless of what each of us carry you have to find that for your self. After you think you find a model and size you think you want go to a indoor ranges, They tend to have more than a few brands and sizes to rent. Think about these 3 pistols the glock the sw m&p and the springfiels xd come in 3 sizes. sub compact, compact and full size. glock ,kahr, 1911's all have atleast 2 different frame sizes some with 3. Just keep handeling them to find one that you like. then rent and shoot.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Either cartridge performs just fine. The .40 is going to be a little more versatile, because there are more available bullet weights for it, whereas the .45ACP has fewer weights available. As far as cost it can depend on where you live. Generally the .40 is a tad bit cheaper, but again that depends on the availability of the two cartridges and the prices where you live. It's mostly going to boil down to personal preference on which cartridge to go with.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
For one I wanna know which is better for self defense and I want to target shoot so average or cheap ammo
Glock 20 with a 10mm to .40 or .357 sig or 9x25 conversion drop in ... The 10mm is unparalleled in power for most autos and with all the drop-in conversions for range duty ,how can ya go wrong ?

Or if ya like wheelguns .357 mag can shoot both .357 mags and .38 spcl and .357 is no joke either

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
Either cartridge performs just fine. The .40 is going to be a little more versatile, because there are more available bullet weights for it, whereas the .45ACP has fewer weights available. As far as cost it can depend on where you live. Generally the .40 is a tad bit cheaper, but again that depends on the availability of the two cartridges and the prices where you live. It's mostly going to boil down to personal preference on which cartridge to go with.
I would have to disagree with your comment about versatility. Bullets for .45 are available from 155 grains to about 260 if you are a handloader, and even if you restrict it to commonly available factory ammo the range includes 165, 185, 200, 230 and probably one or two others. Granted, you can go down to about 135 with the .40, but I'm not sure you are gaining any real advantage in doing so. The heaviest commonly available bullet for the .40 that I have seen is 200 grains, but remaining case capacity starts getting pretty small at this point, thus the ability to propel it to useful velocities falls off quickly.

The .45 will drive a 180 to the same velocity that the .40 will, but with significantly less pressure. This equals less stress on the gun and longer case life for the reloader. Couple this with the diameter and weight increase over the .40, and it makes a pretty good argument for the versatility of the old .45. It will do any light work that the forty will do, but exceeds it on the heavy end by a significant enough margin that I would say it takes the day for versatility.

JW

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

I believe the 45 would be more versatile. It has a shorter average incapacitation time, so I guess you could conclude that statistically the 45 is better for defense. It is hard to find a 45 that conceals as well as the 40, but the task is not insurmountable. I like my 45's but the 40 is no slouch in the ballistic department.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

.40 is a very viable defensive cartridge. In my search for my next gun, it seems as though many companies offer models in .40 and .45 but the latter runs at a higher cost (such as the FNP-40 and FNP-45 and a few others.) I am not above running steel practice rounds through my SR9 so I buy super cheap ammo and in the 2 brands I shoot most often, there is a cost difference of several dollars a box between .40 and .45. The .45 has a larger diameter, but the higher velocity afforded by most .40 offerings creates a very sizeable "virtual wound cavity" or in other words the bullet may not be as large around but the felt effects on the areas surrounding the entry wound can be magnified by the .40's increased bullet speed. Look up virtual wound cavity on youtube, I think there are several videos where the concept is covered using ballistic gel to show you what I mean. I personally own a 9mm for self and home defense because ammo is cheap and a wide variety of it is very readily available nearly everywhere...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I was once told the difference between the .40 and .45 is neglegible. The .45 is slightly bigger but has slightly more powder, so i guess it kinda balances out.

Not sure if it 100% true though

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #10

I believe center mass hits are all that counts as long as you have a viable self defense caliber with premium ammunition loaded. I own most all popular calibers just in case the stores ever sell out of ammo but I actually prefer my 357 sig or my 10mm just in case.