.380 thoughts on the weapon - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .380 thoughts on the weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
I disagree. A t-shirt, shirt and a leather jacket absorbs a lot of energy. The velocity difference you mention could be the difference in a life threatening situation. But you are of course right about accuracy. It's far more important to make whatever bullets you have the misfortune of having to fire count.

Really? a projectile traveling at 700fps or 1300fps and the Tshirt, shirt, and the leather jacket will absorb a lot of energy? You make it sound like the person wearing them will not be harmed or worse. A 380 FMJ does very well traveling through 4 layers of denim and all of 19" of ballistics.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #12

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Really? a projectile traveling at 700fps or 1300fps and the Tshirt, shirt, and the leather jacket will absorb a lot of energy? You make it sound like the person wearing them will not be harmed or worse. A 380 FMJ does very well traveling through 4 layers of denim and all of 19" of ballistics.
Nawwww, a bullet made of kryptonite will go right thru a Tshirt

Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Not leather though.. Those things are bullet proof.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Introduced by the Belgium firm FN in 1912, the 9mm Browning short is one of several pistol cartridge designed by John Browning. In some European countries, this cartridge has also been designated as the 9mm Kurz and 9mm Corto, but in the United Sates it goes by the name of .380 Automatic or .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol)

Although the more powerful 9mm Parabellum has enjoyed greater popularity over the years, thousands upon thousands of autoloading pistols have been manufactured in .380 ACP. Many American and foreign arms makers have offered or continue to offer compact pistols in this caliber including Colt, Savage, Remington, Llama, Star, FIE, Browning, Walther, and Beretta. Various European police departments have adopted the .380 and it has even gained status as a military cartridge in countries such as Sweeden, Italy, and Czechoslovakia.

In the United States, the .380 ACP is classified as a cartridge best suited for self defense. This is as it should be simply because the pistols available in this caliber aren't designed for sporting use. The .380 cartridge is powerful enough for taking varmint sized game cleanly at close to medium ranges, but the relatively poor accuracy of most pistols in this caliber limits its effective range to about 15 short paces.
The above statements come from a site called the Reload Bench and probably answers the OP's questions the best!!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

Buy a 380 and go shoot some phonebooks buy a nine and go shoot some phonebooks, then buy a 40 and go shoot some phone books.
Or you to go to YouTube and look at some video of some practical applications of the different calibers and see if you want to carry a 9mm .380 or .40 or .45 for that matter. I don't think carrying a .22 caliber is it at all wise.
I do a lot of hunting with hollow-point .22 Long rifle rounds and the hunting I do is with jackrabbits (just for sport now not food) in my experience I've seen a lot of jackrabbits hit with direct hits in the thoracic cavity they still don't die. So yes I do believe that in a live situation with a .22 it's not powerful enough to get 100% kill ratio.
I also believe that not any round will get your 100% percent kill ratio.
I just believe that your ratio goes up with a faster and heavier bullet is just physics!!

Last edited by Yogi; 12-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Those tiny 380's are awesome to carry. I carry the Sig P238 and wouldn't want to go any larger or heavier. And it's actually fun to shoot. As for stopping power, check out the various videos. The FBI recommends 12" of gel penetration. This video goes thru a jacket, a shirt, a slab of meat and bone, and perhaps 6" into the gel. Not too shabby.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #17

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I don't own one, but I feel the advantage is in the design of the new

.380 CCW pistols, themselves. So light and small, easy to carry.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
The 380 will do the job if the bullet is placed right-
BTW- The make DOES make a difference- Its got to go bang & hit what you aim at
In the land where you have the privilege to own as many as you wish, its okay to bypass the .380 as a squirt gun. However, there are places where this is the gun of choice for civilians, therefore shooters are trained to make every shot count. I have been carrying a .380 caliber glock for almost ten years and have no issues with it. As was said, a well placed hit is a well placed hit, and I am sure I can get an alpha alpha from as far as 20 metres. I mean, when one has choices spanning the entire caliber world I can understand their preferences in higher calibers. As was said by Hossfly, you just need a gun that will go bang and hit what you aim at. For me, this is summed up with the Glock 25, which is a .380 caliber pistol. But then, its not for public use in the USA.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #19

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I currently have 40 handguns and I carry a S&W "Bodyguard 380" 7 days a week!

If I knew I was going into combat would I chose somethig different? Of course but on the rare occaiions when the sheriff calls me into limited duty ( I am now part time only ) and I put on my duty rig I carry a S&W 5609 but my Bodyguard 380 is still under my left arm pit.

I can bring it into play much faster if someone approaches a car I'm driving than to get my seatbelt off and get my 9 out of the holster.

I have not had to shoot any one since the summer of 1969 and hope that continues till my grave but I feel for my uses the size and weight of a 380 is the best I have found to date.

But untill I got the 380 I carried a S&W model 60 38 SS 1 5/8" barrel ( from about 1975 till 2009 ) and it is still a great little gun.

If I find something I feel suits my needs better I would change again.

Bottom line there is no "good or bad" calibur or weapon - - - they are all good if they fulfill your needs and they are all bad if they don't. What are your needs?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #20

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hey smokemup, great video! Thanks for making it available. I carry .380 LCP in my pocket all the time no matter what I have on my side. And many times, I carry my Sig P238 on my side. I trust the caliber with my life and my loved ones lives, or I would not carry it as I do. Today's newer ammunition makes the .380 a very viable carry round. JMHO of course.