Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .380 jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .380 jamming

dirty harrys "joke thread" popped up a real question with me. ive got a walther ppk/s that has been jamming on me recently. its seen about 2000 rounds through it. is it normal for .380s to jam frequently with use, or is there another possible cause for the jamming? i clean it every 200 rds, so i dont think it has to do with the gun being dirty. any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #2

Location: St.Peter Port.or St Malo France.or Portsmouth UK,Guernsey .. located in English Channel

Could be the magazine lips are damaged,try with another mag if available.or extractor spring is compressed & not allowing the extractor to move freely.or recoil spring has weakend,slowing down the slide return.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool. im going to the range tomorrow, so i'll try it with a new mag. thanks for the advice.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Take a real hard look at the feed ramp. You didn't really describe the nature of the misfeed, so I'm taking the next most obvious possibility. If there's any doubt about the smoothness, either polish it yourself or have a smitty do it.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the round gets out of the mag, but only about half into the barrel. ill take my camera with me tomorrow, and when it jams ill take a pic and try to post it later. if it is just the mag causing the problem though, ill be lucky it was an easy fix.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Are you using the same ammo as you did when it shot reliably? I have a PPK clone which shoots everything except Hornady XTP bullets. The reason seems to be the shape of the bullet. The Hornady XTP is a "truncated cone" design which tends to "hang up" when feeding. Speer Gold Dot hollow points and FMJ's NEVER jam...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i use remington ammo, and thats all ive ever put through it. ive got pics loaded up on my computer, but cant figure out how to post them on the site. for my age i suck with computer stuff.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #8

Default 380 diagnostics

For what its worth I have a friend who had a similar Walther problem. I suggested replacing the recoil spring with a Wolf replacement and that did the trick. His old spring would bind on compression just enough to slow the inertial forward slid movement and it would jam like you are describing.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #9

I assume you have the S&W version. Mine locked up after 50 rounds and it took me almost a month to get a human being on the phone to begin "customer service". Your basic problem is the same as mine -- you have a POS. DON'T trust it with your life. Buy a real gun -- I did.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbwbass View Post
For what its worth I have a friend who had a similar Walther problem. I suggested replacing the recoil spring with a Wolf replacement and that did the trick. His old spring would bind on compression just enough to slow the inertial forward slid movement and it would jam like you are describing.
Bingo! We have a winner. That's it.

Wolff Gunsprings