You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

The .380 hype: Get off the bandwagon!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3577 Times on 1972 Posts
Likes Given: 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The choice to carry a small handgun comes, many times, from someone not wanting to make the extra effort to carry a larger and more lethal weapon. It can literally be a pain in the butt to carry a full size handgun; I know, I do it daily.

If for whatever reason you decide you can't commit to carrying a full size firearm, the .380 beats nothing. If you don't think a small caliber handgun can be effective, research the death of Bobby Kennedy.

I would think for 99.9% of the defensive needs a normal person would face, a .380 with proper defensive loads and proper training could get the job done. The main threat I expect, and prepare for, is a desperate drug addict that needs to finance his next poision of choice. These folks look for unarmed victims and would probably not give you too much of a problem after a round or two of .380 in the torso. I would not want engage a serious threat with a small caliber, or try to hold off the Dirty Dozen, but that is a heck of a long shot. (pardon the pun)

Most of the police forces in Eastern Europe carried the 9 x 18, which for all practical purposes is the equal sister of the .380.

The smaller calibers are a hold-out from the early 1900s when a wound, of any size, could prove fatal from infection if not from blood loss or vital organ damage. If poking a .25 caliber hole in your gutt could lead to a nasty, prolonged and painful death, you would try to be nice enough to not have someone want to shoot you.
Western Europe used the 9mm Kurtz/380/9x17.
Eastern Europe/Soviet Block used the 9x18 Makarov.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #22

It's not the "first choice" as a defensive weapon, but when you have a wife that is afraid of your 1911, or your Bersa UC40, or your Sig 9mm 2022, but likes the look of the Sig P238, your get one with the hope that if anything should ever happen, after proper training, she'd pick it up to defend herself.

So in other words.....it's better then nothing.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7357 Times on 3925 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
Yeah I'm just starting to realize that. Whoowee! People have their hearts set on those little guys. Still not enough for me to go buy one.
in the winter here in wisconsin i cant easily stick even my new agent in a coat pocket and hope to draw it ithout major difficulty. my small bersa its not a problem. i can walk around with it in a pocket and if i feel the need just put a hand in the pocket. small pocket guns excel at that sort of thing.

just cuz you got a 380 doesnt mean you only have to carry one gun!!
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix

.....how about one of those little Kel-Tec 380's as your backup for your backup? They are small, they are light, and they probably will compliment your tactical folder? Maybe my suggestion is flaming the fire!!! Maybe I've said enough!!! ......and you know I'm just kidding....

If I'm forced to go to a sidearm, and both my sig and my m9 die, I don't think a mouse gun will help me with the situation I would be in. Now post enlist, I'm not sure I'll ever need it either. You can't carry at all in California, especially coming up in January. So bedside my sig or m9 will do just fine. Or my 92.. Or my smith... Lol

Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
If I'm forced to go to a sidearm, and both my sig and my m9 die, I don't think a mouse gun will help me with the situation I would be in. Now post enlist, I'm not sure I'll ever need it either. You can't carry at all in California, especially coming up in January. So bedside my sig or m9 will do just fine. Or my 92.. Or my smith... Lol
Why fool around with a pip squeak round like 45 ACP? Here is a 1911 in 50 caliber and is even approved for use in the Peoples Repulik of Kalifornia.

Guncrafter Industries : 50GI Model No.1

Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #26

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9026543

Why fool around with a pip squeak round like 45 ACP? Here is a 1911 in 50 caliber and is even approved for use in the Peoples Repulik of Kalifornia.

Guncrafter Industries : 50GI Model No.1
You're the first one that ive ever heard refer to the .45 acp as a pip sqeak round. Frankly its not that at all, its known in the firearms world for its incredible stopping power. Sure the .50 GI is bigger but not by much.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #27

Liked 3328 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 472

ANY gun beats depending on the mercy of an attacker.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default The .380 ACP was a John Browning Design

From .380 ACP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) pistol cartridge is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Browning. The cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case.[2] It was introduced in 1908 by Colt, and has been a popular self-defense cartridge ever since. Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9x17mm. It is not to be confused with .38 ACP or 9mm Luger.

.380 ACP
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.380 ACP

Yugoslavian "9 mm Kratak" (9 mm Short) cartridges, FMJ.
Type Pistol
Place of origin United States
Production history
Designer John Browning
Manufacturer Colt's Manufacturing Company
Produced 1908
Specifications
Case type Rimless, straight
Bullet diameter .355 in (9.0 mm)
Neck diameter .373 in (9.5 mm)
Base diameter .374 in (9.5 mm)
Rim diameter .374 in (9.5 mm)
Rim thickness .045 in (1.1 mm)
Case length .680 in (17.3 mm)
Overall length .984 in (25.0 mm)
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
90 gr (5.8 g) JHP 1,000 ft/s (300 m/s) 200 ft·lbf (270 J)
95 gr (6.2 g) FMJ 980 ft/s (300 m/s) 203 ft·lbf (275 J)
Test barrel length: 3.75
Source(s): Federal Cartridge [1]
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #29

Liked 5047 Times on 2513 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

I felt the same way about the .380, but I've been carrying wither my sig 9mm, or my xd-45 for the last 6 years. I shot my friends LCP at the gravel pit. I bought it off him because I liked it. What else is there to say?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #30

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

This is just my experiance and $.02 worth.
I have been carring a concealed handgun for the last 15-16 years. I have carried and been able to conceal large handguns such as a USP, G22, and a 1911. As time has gone by I have started going smaller and smaller. First I went to a G23, and now, for the last several months I have been carying a Sig P238.
My issue has not been the size of the firearm, but the weight. When I dress and leave the house for the day, I am usualy gone for about 12 hours. After several hours the larger handguns with the bigger mag. cappacities, seemed to become uncomfortable. I never leave the house unarmed(unless I plan on flying that day) so it started to be more of a comfort issue. Most of the people I have spoken with over the years, that carry daily, have told me the same thing. We carry guns every day for a threat that may never materialize. The excitement wears off.
The .380 ACP fits the bill for me. The Sig is small, light, and easy to carry all day. It is a pleasure to shoot, so practice is productive. Shot placement is key with this little round, but more important is having a handgun when you need it. Not leaving it at home because it is heavy and uncomfortable to waer all day.
Now with that said, I do keep a G22 at the ready in my vechicle, with a spare mag.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.