Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The .380 hype: Get off the bandwagon!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
Maybe I'm a little too harsh and biased on the matter... Am I the only one that feels this way?
You're probably a young feller in your 20's or 30's all full o' vim and vinegar...

Don't rule out the possibility that you'll be likin' your own little .380 when you're old and grey (like some of us) and tired of luggin' around your hi-cap 9, .40, .45 or whatever for decades without ever needing to fire it in SD like the vast majority of civilian CCer's...

.380 is better than it used to be.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20057 Times on 11408 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

i agree the 380 if loaded with the right ammo and accurate shot placement will get the job done. now i usually carry either a 40s-w or a 45acp but my wife carries a bersa 380 i bought for her. she practices with it at ranges of about 30' and less. she's getting better with it. no, if all i had was her bersa, i'm not intimidated by some BG. six shots center mass will take the starch out his drawers!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 948 Posts
Likes Given: 547

The .380 or 9mm Kurtz was carried for a long time by European military and police. Mostly with hard ball ammo. The Germans reset the mark with the 9mm Luger. The USA had the 1911 in 45 ACP but a lot of command officers were issued 380's. Until the later half of the 1900's the 32 was considered enough gun for self defense in the more civilized societies. The American West was an exception. The Olympic terrorists upped the ante and European police went to the 9mm Luger.
I carried a Beretta 70S in 380 long before the "mouse guns" became popular. It was relatively compact and light enough for everyday concealment. It also saved my life. The guy that tried to carjack me almost took one in the head. I am sure it would have stopped him if he had not decided to run. One of the current "mouse guns" would have done the job fine. A 380 in the hand is worth more than a whole safe full of larger guns at home.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #14

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I carry a bersa thunder .380 when my i cant easily conceal my 1911, mostly in the summer. Im about 6' tall and about 180 lbs so concealing a government model 1911 can get a little uncomfortable. Dont get me wrong i also prefer to punch big holes rather than small ones but it really isnt an issue if you shoot for the head or through the heart.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #15

Liked 1130 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 277

The choice to carry a small handgun comes, many times, from someone not wanting to make the extra effort to carry a larger and more lethal weapon. It can literally be a pain in the butt to carry a full size handgun; I know, I do it daily.

If for whatever reason you decide you can't commit to carrying a full size firearm, the .380 beats nothing. If you don't think a small caliber handgun can be effective, research the death of Bobby Kennedy.

I would think for 99.9% of the defensive needs a normal person would face, a .380 with proper defensive loads and proper training could get the job done. The main threat I expect, and prepare for, is a desperate drug addict that needs to finance his next poision of choice. These folks look for unarmed victims and would probably not give you too much of a problem after a round or two of .380 in the torso. I would not want engage a serious threat with a small caliber, or try to hold off the Dirty Dozen, but that is a heck of a long shot. (pardon the pun)

Most of the police forces in Eastern Europe carried the 9 x 18, which for all practical purposes is the equal sister of the .380.

The smaller calibers are a hold-out from the early 1900s when a wound, of any size, could prove fatal from infection if not from blood loss or vital organ damage. If poking a .25 caliber hole in your gutt could lead to a nasty, prolonged and painful death, you would try to be nice enough to not have someone want to shoot you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #16

I think the true pocket 380s are useful sd guns. I personally wont use one though cause my paws are just too big and cant shoot them very comfortable. So i choose to use a cw9 its just big enough that i can shoot it comfortably and hold nice tight groups. I personally dont really see much use for 380s for plinking though other than practing with your sd gun. For fun plinking i would rather shoot 9 quite a bit cheaper and more gun selection

Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
~snipe~I'm having a real hard time seeing the point of the round in general when it's hard to shoot, inaccurate ~snip~
...well, Richey, you DO know how to stir things up.....let me get in there with you for a while....

I've never been much of a small gun guy, although I have owned a few. I've always felt John did a good enough job with the 1911, we really didn't need anything else. A few years back a student comes to class and has a backup, the Kel-Tec 380. It was new at the time and I made some teasing remarks about a "mouse" or "orifice" gun. He had brought a bunch of different loads for it, and at break he went down range to test it out. It fed everything he had without a hiccup! He finally managed to get me to shoot a few. This thing has just about no sights! Damn if it wasn't extremely accurate. About the worse trigger I had pressed in a long time, but it went bag every time, and it hit everything I pointed at (with the molded in sights, I'm not sure it classified as sighted fire). Since then I have fired probably 10-12 of them, and they all functioned and were accurate.

I don't currently own a pocket pistol or revolver, in fact everything now days I carry is a 45 ACP. I still tease folks about their mouse and orifice guns. I understand your frustration to get this controversy started.....doesn't look like you are going to get too much support on this one.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah I'm just starting to realize that. Whoowee! People have their hearts set on those little guys. Still not enough for me to go buy one.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Yeah I'm just starting to realize that. Whoowee! People have their hearts set on those little guys. Still not enough for me to go buy one.
.....how about one of those little Kel-Tec 380's as your backup for your backup? They are small, they are light, and they probably will compliment your tactical folder? Maybe my suggestion is flaming the fire!!! Maybe I've said enough!!! ......and you know I'm just kidding....

Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I kind‘a understand the OP’s comments, the .380 as a first choice as a go to weapon. Disagree with the .380 being useless. If it’s good enough for James Bond well hell……….
just say'n

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649