Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   The .380 hype: Get off the bandwagon! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/380-hype-get-off-bandwagon-51269/)

USMC_Richey 11-06-2011 06:25 PM

The .380 hype: Get off the bandwagon!

Ever since .380 has made this big comeback, people have been making up all kinds of reasons why they should own a gun that shoots it. They want to put it in their pocket or in their wife's purse or they want something they can hide in their ass before they go into prison. They make it seem so convenient to own one. All the .380 is, is a .22 that has been to the gym more. It's nonsense.

I'm having a real hard time seeing the point of the round in general when it's hard to shoot, inaccurate, way too small, expensive, and not even kind of powerful. I shot a squirrel with a .380 once, he flipped me off and kept running.. Why would you want to own a gun that is called a "mouse" gun? Wow, that's super intimidating guys. If someone was robbing my house and I pointed one of those at him, he'd probably laugh and say something like, "nice airsoft gun bro."

Maybe I'm a little too harsh and biased on the matter... Am I the only one that feels this way?

griffin81 11-06-2011 06:36 PM

Ok well I kind of get your point. but let me shoot u in the upper leg with my .380 and then u can tell us all how week and toy like the .380 is ok.
The 380 serves well for a pocket gun or for a wife, it's better than pointing your finger and saying bang.
I mean, If I'm in a position I can't retreat from a bad guy I'd take my .22 or .380 over my pocket knife any day.

play the victim, be the victim

USMC_Richey 11-06-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin81
Ok well I kind of get your point. but let me shoot u in the upper leg with my .380 and then u can tell us all how week and toy like the .380 is ok.
The 380 serves well for a pocket gun or for a wife, it's better than pointing your finger and saying bang.
I mean, If I'm in a position I can't retreat from a bad guy I'd take my .22 or .380 over my pocket knife any day.

I'm not saying it's better than nothing, I just don't think this is the first round people should go for, or make their primary round.

How about I stab you in the leg with my knife and you can tell me if that hurts? Pointing your finger.. Really? Come on...

PanBaccha 11-06-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin81 (Post 620838)

Good retort Griffin. That first post seems loud enough
to have come from a saloon right 'bout closing time
! :cool:

griffin81 11-06-2011 06:50 PM

You compared the .380 to a air soft gun I mean really it's not a toy. And by the way I've had a pocket knife through the arm and yeah it smarts a little. I damn sure don't want one stuck anywhere else. But come on I just thought your rant was a little much really.

USMC_Richey 11-06-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin81
You compared the .380 to a air soft gun I mean really it's not a toy. And by the way I've had a pocket knife through the arm and yeah it smarts a little. I damn sure don't want one stuck anywhere else. But come on I just thought your rant was a little much really.

I know it's not a toy, and I damn well know any round hurts. Shoot, a pellet stings like hell for days. I just personally think it's a pointless round.

gutz47 11-06-2011 07:10 PM

I'm not the biggest guy so I was considering a 380 for concealed carry. They seemed to be some of the smaller pocket guns. But after seeing a couple of 9mm that were just as easily concealed I wrote that idea off. If I can hide a 9mm as easy as a 380 I'm going 9mm. Why wouldn't you?

griffin81 11-06-2011 07:17 PM

Ok understood, but I think it has a good purpose small compact and with the right round it will disable an attacker. I don't think a small gun is the best gun to learn to shoot but If it's what feels comfortable to the shooter then great. My wife carries a sig .380 because its small and accurate up to 15 yards for a good center mass shot. I'd love for her to carry a 45 daily but it doesn't work well for her. I happen to carry a 357 and it work for me but I would have no problem carrying her 380 and feeling comfortable with it in a self defense situation. As long as it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is hitting where I want it to then im happy to have it. An I'm gonna bet all the other people on here that own a 380 feel the same way. It's not a gun is carry into a war zone but it has a great place in personal defense.

JonM 11-06-2011 07:40 PM

i disagree with ya. what counts is holes center mass. i like bigger holes but i dont mind carrying my bersas. i find them accurate easy to shoot and damn reliable.

bersa thunder plus 15+1 rounds in the target center mass at 7 yards pretty much as fast as i can pull the trigger is a game changer.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/263/img0441u.jpg

as for accuracy my bersa thunder 380 7+1 gets it done at 10 yards pretty much way past any real self defense range.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6403/img0537.jpg

most 380 loads will go 12" in gel which is the standard for a decent sd round. if i need a gun to put in the pocket 380 is a good choice. everything else 45acp. there is place for 380 and it isnt a useless or worthless round. there are a lot of good reliable firearms that are chambered for it. the rounds arent that pricey bout the same as 9mm or 38spl.

BillM 11-06-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC_Richey (Post 620850)
I know it's not a toy, and I damn well know any round hurts. Shoot, a pellet stings like hell for days. I just personally think it's a pointless round.

If you personally think it's a pointless round, then don't buy one. Simple.

Personally, I carry one (Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace laser) every
day. It's in my right front pocket right now.

380 is about the largest caliber available in an affordable true
pocket pistol. Yes---weather/clothing permitting, I do carry
a "Real" gun, usually some version of a 1911 or a Glock 40.

But the little 380 is there all the time. Jeans, shorts, winter, summer,
---I never leave home without it. I hope it never does happen,
but if things get truly sideways, that 380 in my pocket is going to be a
lot more useful than the 45 I left at home because it was too heavy/bulky
whatever.