Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The .380 Craze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

.380's are definitely everywhere now. I am in the process of looking for a concealable gun for my wife and she is drawn to the LCP but has not shot it. I understand the debate of caliber but what about recoil?

Anyone with a .380 (size of the PPK or even LCP) have any thoughts about the recoil? I am looking for something that she can actually shoot and I have heard that the LCP is not pleasant to shoot when putting 50-100 rounds through it at a time. I think she may be better off with a .38 special revolver.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pocket guns don't fit the hand, and they don't have much mass, so blisters and bruising do occur. For some reason the AMT wears out the lower inside pad of my trigger finger, evidently from the skin getting between the trigger guard and the trigger at firing. Some days it looks like I've just slaughtered a steer when I walk off the range.
Or not.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
.380's are definitely everywhere now. I am in the process of looking for a concealable gun for my wife and she is drawn to the LCP but has not shot it. I understand the debate of caliber but what about recoil?

Anyone with a .380 (size of the PPK or even LCP) have any thoughts about the recoil? I am looking for something that she can actually shoot and I have heard that the LCP is not pleasant to shoot when putting 50-100 rounds through it at a time. I think she may be better off with a .38 special revolver.
I can't speak for the LCP, because I don't own one.
I'm sure they're very fine guns.
I do own a Kahr P380 which is a lite weight small handgun.
I also own a S&W .38 special revolver model 36LS.
Although lighter guns will have more recoil, my P380's recoil
is much more controllable than my heavy steel frame, nickel finish,
.38 S&W Special +P.

I've squeezed off 150 rounds during a target practice session with no discomfort using my P380. I have currently ran 550 rounds through my P380.
IMO; a gun needs to feel/fit good in your hands and a firm grip.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #14

I have a bersa 380 duo. It is a very accurate weapon with no problems so far.
Check out the Bersa section to confirm.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I can't speak for the LCP, because I don't own one.
I'm sure they're very fine guns.
I do own a Kahr P380 which is a lite weight small handgun.
I also own a S&W .38 special revolver model 36LS.
Although lighter guns will have more recoil, my P380's recoil
is much more controllable than my heavy steel frame, nickel finish,
.38 S&W Special +P.

I've squeezed off 150 rounds during a target practice session with no discomfort using my P380. I have currently ran 550 rounds through my P380.
IMO; a gun needs to feel/fit good in your hands and a firm grip.

Thanks for the info. I will have to get her up to the range to rent a few to see what works. Problem with the Kahr guns (and some others) is that they can't be found anywhere right now. I want to look at the PM9 for myself but can't find one.

My wife is actually wanting a gun that recoils like my G19 with the .22 adapter on it :-)

Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #16

I jumped on the 380 bandwagon because sometimes my "subcompact" .40mm CZ 2075 just isn't comfortable in long, light carry. Plus in considering the 380 as a very close quarters defensive weapon, I understand that shot placement can play as great a role as caliber. And the Colt Mustang is such a pretty little pistol:

Chris

Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #17

ChrisDM, that's a sweeett l'il Colt.
Where did you find it at?
How do you like it?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #18

It seems that every time someone posts something about the .380 ACP it becomes an instant debate on its usefulness as a defensive round. I don't think that is what the user was looking for. I bought my Bersa Thunder .380 because I have always liked the "James Bond" look of many of the .380 autos. Although I have never owned a Walther .380, I did own an Astra Constable and a Beretta Model 70s. Both those guns were reliable and fun to shoot, although the Beretta tended to mangle your thumb if you weren't careful. I also bought the Bersa because at $259.00 it was a steal. The recoil on the Bersa tends to send the gun back into your palm and does not have much muzzle flip. This has caused the joint of my thumb to get sore after 100 rounds or so of firing the gun. No big problem though as you certainly wouldn't want to shoot much more than that at one session, particularly with the price of .380 ammo these days.

Last edited by chucksolo69; 06-02-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
= joke

I considered buying a 1908 Colt Hammerless, but the ammo was more than the '03, otherwise I would own a .380 ACP.

Some people believe that anything less than a .45 is worthless. Therefore, my comment. Considering the number of guns produced throughout history not in .45, I would guess that the .380 ACP is bullet enough to get the job done.
.32 ACP is very underrated for personal defense.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I carry ball ammo in my .380 because it gives the deepest penetration, and that's the name of the game when you're shooting for the medulla oblongata, which truly is the "Off" switch for the human body. Would I rather have a larger caliber handgun which I can conceal with my open palm? Sure, but they don't make a 5-shot .45 cal derringer.
I've shot some very tight patterns at 45' from a 2" barrel, but over about 30', the bullets will keyhole, which is why I say the .380 is a close-in weapon. It is a very viable self-defense weapon with characteristics and applications which other rounds do not share, particularly the concealability of many platforms.
If you need a small, deadly semi-auto with great accuracy, go with the .380. If you want to shoot targets, go with a 9mm, because .380 ammo is getting very expensive. Your choice depends on the intended use, so consider all aspects.
You've never seen a Para Warthog, have you?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.