The .380 Craze - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The .380 Craze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor12 View Post
9mm ammo is cheaper and more available and 9mm pocket autos are plenty small and lightweight enough for pants pocket carry, so choosing the 380 for defense is a big mistake. look at corbon's 100 gr PowRBall 9mm ammo, in a 3" barrel, it still gets 1300 fps, which is 380 ft lbs, as vs the 170 or so ft lbs of the little 380's people favor. forget the factory claims for 380 ballistics. they are derived from 3.5" barreled Pp Walthers, and they are lied about, too. the 380 jhp's are not going fast enough to expand relilably in flesh. Animal tests prove this to be true. what they do in water, wooden boards, or jello is irrelevant.
I wouldn't say it's a "big mistake" carrying a 380; it's still better than not being armed at all. I carry my PF9 most of the time, and love it. Really small, thin, & lightweight, but there are times when I otherwise wouldn't carry. That's where my Ruger LCP fits in. I really love this super concealable little gun, and am fully aware of its weaker punch compared to my other calibers. But, my other calibers are usually at the house because of their larger, thicker, heavier size.

The 380 fits a very useful roll, and that is why it is becoming more popular. I believe more people are armed today compared to just a few years ago because of these new super small 380 offerings, and to most of us that's a good thing.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #122

Default Kahr P380

Hello everyone,

I purchased a Kahr P380 last week, and put the necessary 200 rounds throught it for break in. Following all the manufacturers lube recommendations, and using quality ammunition, I had mulitple fail to fires, and the gun would not feed hollow point ammo. Silver Tips, and Winchester X ammunition would not feed, unless it was the last two rounds in the clip. I would not carry this gun for self protection, and wish I could return the gun for a full refund.
Looking at several websites dedicated to the Kahr P380, this seems to be a typical problem for this gun, and many owners keep the gun in the box, rather than use it for protection. The service department seems to throw parts at the problem, rather than fix it, and they should be embarrased for making you pay to ship a defective gun to them for repair. When you pay 560.00 for a high quality .380, it should be of the highest quality, able to function without question out of the box.:

Old 05-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #123

tonopah that sounds really frustrating. Your dealer will not cover it under warrenty?

If you do end up getting rid of it... consider trading it in and getting a LCP. I think you will be very happy with the choice. It tends to be the most popular 380 of all and very reliable. I have sold hundreds of these pistols and the only complaint i have received about it is its not comfortable to shoot at the range.. and thats when i laugh and say of coarse its not, look how small it is. ha.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #124

Well I may take your advice, currently I am going to give Kahr a chance. The gun is nicely made, but I think the gun is made with to tight of specifications.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #125

I called Kahr today, and no the dealer will not cover the 70.00 to send them the gun.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #126

That is really stupid I would think the store would stand by their product a little more than that. That is why i will never buy a gun at a store that does not offer gunsmithing services. Because they can deal with it or make it right. You buy at walmart and your own your own.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #127

Default P380

I didnt buy the gun at Walmart, bought the gun at Sheels, 250 miles from my house. Kahr, only receives/ships with FEDX.....the nearest FEDX is 180 miles from my home. Kahr is sending me a new slide stop, because when you insert the clip, the bullets hit the slide stop, causing a jam; this is a typical problem for this gun. The technician said that if this dosent work, I am going to have to ship it FEDX or find a quialified gun smith to polish the stop, and other parts in the pistol. Kahr in my opinon sell POS's.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #128

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too purchased a Kahr 380 and for the same reasns. I can't believe how light it is in my pocket. I also have a Beretta Tomcat 32 that carries nice but is heaveier. The small pocket 9mm guns are nice but far more recoil in such a small package. The new S&W 380 is nice too and is a couple hundred cheeper. Good luck, Dogwalk.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #129

Default Slide Stop

Got my new slide stop from Kahr, same problem. I was told, if I cant take my gun to a FEDX store and send it to them, I will have to find a gun smith, and have the slide stop polished. Looks like Kahr knows that they have many problems with the P380; slide stop, mags, sights, firing pin, grips, extractor, and so on.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #130

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I think a lot of .380 buyer go for them because of the price point. A new toy in the $280.00 to $330.00 range is attainable for most. I would not trust this caliber but the upside to it's popularity is that 9mm prices for guns and ammo seem to be falling and the market is recognizing the demand for pocket size 9mm's.
When I bought my Kahr PM9 3 years ago "GREAT GUN", your choices for a reliable pocket 9 with a good trigger were the Kahr at $600 and the Rohbahr at $1000

We now see several companies coming out with smaller 9mm's to compete and will soon be able to choose from:
Kahr CM9
Ruger LC9
Kimber Solo
Sig P290
"sure i'm missing a few more"

These guns all have MSRP's between $360 and $700 which should put actual dealer prices between $300 and $570 or so...Fricken Awesome...

Tack

Newest Threads