The .380 Craze - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The .380 Craze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Seriously, you may take a 6ft down step....
Hey, NOBODY's going to live forever.(best justification I ever

saw for being a "nobody")

22LRs do make a comical popping sound, don't they?

It's just that if you are already at 9mm, .380 is arguably the next step

(OK or half-step) down the ladder...

And to be fair,( as much as it would piss me off if I ever found out I got shot with one)

22s have killed more people than typhus. Unrespected calibers though they are...

Last edited by therewolf; 03-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #112

I'm alright with carrying my .380 Ruger LCP. It's so small that I forget it's in my pocket. I'd be alright with carrying a small .22 over nothin at all, but just don't see the need with the super small .380's on the market.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #113

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Modern 380 ammo is really good these day's...Russian ammo is by far,still the dirty'st stuff to shoot...My gun needs a real good cleaning after shooting any Russian ammo...

Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I can't speak for the LCP, because I don't own one.
I'm sure they're very fine guns.
I do own a Kahr P380 which is a lite weight small handgun.
I also own a S&W .38 special revolver model 36LS.
Although lighter guns will have more recoil, my P380's recoil
is much more controllable than my heavy steel frame, nickel finish,
.38 S&W Special +P.

I've squeezed off 150 rounds during a target practice session with no discomfort using my P380. I have currently ran 550 rounds through my P380.
IMO; a gun needs to feel/fit good in your hands and a firm grip.
I own a Bersa Thunder .380(LOVE IT)and a Charter Arms .38 Special.....My .380 is my cc gun,it's accurate and easy to conceal....My snubbie is my gun I load with 158 gr. HP's........

Old 05-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #115

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Good topic....I purchased a Bersa .380 CC for the wife. She had a Ruger Sp-101 that sat in the nightstand instead of her carrying it, it was too heavy for her and she was not comfortable with the recoil. She shoots my .40 Glock like a champ, but again too big to carry daily. She tried my M&P 9 C and liked it but not what she wanted to carry still.

I took her to my favorite store and Sid let her look for two hours and she picked out the LCP, the Bersa CC and LCR, so off to the range to try these out. The LCP was too snappy for her liking, the LCR was ok, the Bersa CC was the one she would not put down. She wanted me to buy the range gun LOL. So back to my favorite store and the Bersa came home with us.

It is a dream to shoot after you get used to the sights. So far she has not left the house without it ( the main goal ) and wants to go to the range every two weeks, she even cleans it regularly and inside of 30' she is pretty good in rapid fire 2 & 3 round groups. Inside of 15' she makes me proud and confident that this little 380 was the right choice.

I also put the LCP on layaway for me as a BUG or pocket gun to take on those days when you might think about not carrying at all.

I am not going to get into the big bore debates at all, as I will take shot placement over chunkin lead any day. If you can't hit it you can't kill it no matter the size of the projectile. Once you pull the trigger your responsible for that bullet until it stops...where ever it stops, just sayin.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #116

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

^ ^ ^ ^ Y E S ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^

"So far she has not left the house without it,"

THIS sounds like a good match. It also sounds like

you made a very sensible search, while keeping

your wife involved.

Best of luck, happy shooting. (Hopefully all at the range.)

Join the NRA.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #117

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Head-on view of my LCP w/10-rd. ProMag... 14 oz. loaded! (10+1)... My preferred overall carry package in the "Thin & Light With Adequate Firepower" category... Love it...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #118

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does that mag not snag up on your shirt or whatever?
Looks cool though, as it seems to advertise added threat to anyone on this end of it!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #119

Howdy all,
I figure i will post my reviews of a few 380's that i have shot / own.

I will mention the Ruger LCP / Taurus TCP / Sig Sauer 380

Ruger LCP:
This is my choice of 380 and what I own and carry. That being said let me say a bit about it and its features. The LCP is incredibly light and slimline. It is also very simple. I am not going to post specs on weights and dimensions, you can easily look up the Manufactures info on that. I like the fact that the slide does not lock back on the last round like most pistols. The average person is going to carry this firearm because of its weight, and concealability (i think i made that word up).. so how many people truly carry a spare mag with them for it? This is why it does not lock back, i would much rather the person not know I am empty, let alone if your empty then either the zombies have arrived or your a terrible shot and should not be shooting. It also is more aerodynamic to throw without the slide back for when you are empty . The LCP is moderately accurate with the right ammo in it. Like all 380's it takes about 100 rounds to break in, and can be picky on its ammo, especially HP. However I can put all my shots in a pie plate at 20 yards. At 10 yards I can consistently put them in about half a pie plate. And 5 yards and under it is dead on. The gun does have a little snap to it, but hey its the price you pay for such a small gun. Now the big thing I like about this gun compared to other 380's and .38's out there is how thin it is. I can carry it anywhere without being noticed. My test is also to be able to carry to a job interview / funeral. (Example because you wear fitted dress pants that are often pretty thin and print VERY easily). Yet this pistol inside a pocket holster will not look any different then a blackberry phone. I also have never had my LCP jam while firing, I have had it hang up on the lip when initially loading it though, but thats ok i carry one in the pipe at all times.

Taurus TCP - When kahr made the 380 that got the attention of people... ruger made it better and taurus copied the design but made it cheaper (as they tend to do with many of their models). This gun is about the same dimensions as the LCP but a little wider grip and boxier grip. The slide locks back on your last round, and the overall design of the gun is a little more flimsy. I also noticed when shooting this gun that it is much less accurate. Now to its defense, accuracy does not matter much at 5 yards or 10 which is the most you will engage with this gun, but i still want to know exactly where my round will impact.

Sig Sauer 380 - Great gun! Very nice looking, accurate, well made... However I do not like the fancy it has... it is to much for me. I do not like having a external hammer, or the safety. That is just me. I love the gun, it shoots great.. but its just to much for a small pocket gun as its made to be. And expensive.

And then there is the Hell Cat... forget who it is made by.. DONT BUY IT!!! If you like maracas then its kinda nice though... since they sound like them.... i feel like a walmart greeter could make a better gun then this... simply do not buy it...

Hope this all helps a little

Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 AM   #120

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does that mag not snag up on your shirt or whatever?
Looks cool though, as it seems to advertise added threat to anyone on this end of it!!!!
The whole gun is so small, that head-on pic is kinda misleading... Here's a side view... As you can see, the grip is just "normal" in length:

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL