Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .380 - 38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1163 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 72

For me, another reason for the 38 spl over the 380 is availability of range ammo and cost. Here in Florida you can get 38 special range, FMJ for about $16 a box of 50 at Wal Mart and it is reasonably plentiful. 380 runs $19 or so and is hard to find. Unless you want to buy in bulk over the internet or wait for the gun shows, a 38 is easier to practice with.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #12

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

One year eight months and 15 days to be exact!!!...

Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8408 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Quote:
Dammit C3, will you just stop posting real information and spread BS like the rest of us.
Whoops! Sorry, sir! Will try to do better!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
Can someone tell me the difference between .38 ammunition and .380 ammunition? I keep telling my step-dad that it's the amount of gunpowder load that is in the shell but the bullet size is the same...

Am I wrong?? I really don't know but I just figured because of the resemblance in number.

The reason I'm asking though it because my mother is getting a ccw and I want her to get a round she can handle but one that has high velocity as well.
Gun Tests magazine did an article on the .380 ACP round about a month ago. They also stated that that round should be the absolute minimum for self defense. It further stated that due to the round's low velocity (under 1000 fps), hollow point loads are not reliable, so one should opt for FMJ loads for better penetration. When I was a rookie cop many decades ago, I opted for a Walther PPK/S as my off duty weapon as I liked the DA feature and the gun's small size and 7+1 capacity. Since hollow points weren't all that common then (except for SuperVel loads), I charged both my PPK/S mags with Winchester FMJ's. They cycled reliably, and at combat shooting distances would give a reasonable accounting of itself. Well, one of my brother officers lobbied me for several months to sell him my PPK/S as he was going to be reassigned to Vice--so I gave in and sold it to him. He continued to carry it with FMJ loads. I then went to a square butt, blue steel S&W Mod 36 which I kept loaded with five 148grn target wadcutters. Carried it like that for many years before I modified it with a bobbed hammer, and cut away trigger guard (just enough opening to slide my trigger finger onto the trigger during the draw and presentation). I liked my snubby more than the PPK/S--and the little revolver went bang each time I pulled the trigger. I've long since parted with the Mod.36 but have gone to the S&W 442 which is rated for .38Spec +P. Other than my Glock 21, I prefer revolvers for self defense and have two 442's. (Darn I'm getting windy). My point is that try both the snubby .38Spec. revolver or a small .380. The .38Spec has many more ammo options, and my favorite load is Buffalo Bore's .38Spec +P, 158grn, "heavy" LSWCHP load at a chronographed average velocity of 1005 fps and 354 ft/lbs of energy from my 442's . Recoil is sharp, and at 15 yards tends to shoot about 3 inches higher than a standard 158grn +P. But at combat range that load will do the job--but so will wadcutters. Get a couple of Safariland speed loaders, and a good concealable holster (I prefer IWB's--strong side) and you or your mother won't be under gunned. BTW, Gun Tests also picked the S&W 442 as their revolver of the year for 2010.

MAD RIVER FRANK, NRA Patron Life; SASS Life; NAHC Life;

Last edited by MRFranks; 12-18-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: editing out problematic words/acronyms

Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #15

Default .380 or .38Spec

Here are my two 442's. Great guns--both of them, IMHO. Two speed loaders carry the "heavy" load I mentioned in the previous post, and the other two are CCI .38Spec+P 130grn loads {the nickled cased rounds} (optimized for 2 inch barrel revolvers--they're much more tame than the "heavy" loads).

copy-picture-007.2.jpg  

Last edited by MRFranks; 12-18-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: editing out acronyms

Old 12-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFranks View Post
Here are my two 442's. Great guns--both of them, IMHO. Two speed loaders carry the "FBI" load I mentioned in the previous post, and the other two are CCI .38Spec+P 130grn loads {the nickled cased rounds} (optimized for 2 inch barrel revolvers--they're much more tame than the "FBI" loads).
Hey don't use "FBI or FIB" in your post they scan for those terms

One year eight months and 15 days...add another day

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
About 3 years ago, a fella I knew in Atlanta (gun noob), bought a Bersa .380 and the store sold him a box of .38 Special to go with it. He asked me one day why the ammo wouldn't fit and I asked him to bring the mag & ammo to work the next day. Yeah, I had a huge laugh and I traded him a box of .380 for the .38s...
This ranks somewhere up there on the list of "Things that should not be told." j/k

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #18

Thanks for the tip, but I was only precising from the article in Gun Tests. Needless to say, the "heavy" 158grn .38Spec +P load I mentioned is indeed just that. What pleases me is that both the article's comment about the velocity and energy of "the load" is right on accurate with my chronographed results. The extreme spread between loads fired was no more than 12 fps. Either way you cut it, "the load" is where a good .38Spec +P should be. I suspect, "the load" is equivalent to the old .38-44 Outdoorsman load from back in the 1930's and 1940's--and that load wasn't rated as +P.
Thanks again for the tip, I'll edit the post if that's okay? BTW, my advice to "Angrypoonani" is whatever handgun he and his mother chooses, s/he will need to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. If they have the funds, maybe a trip to a combat pistol course for some very practical practice.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #19

Hi WDB,
You may want to edit out the offending "acronym" from your quote of my post. (Just thought I'd mention it.)

Newest Threads