Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .380 - 38?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .380 - 38?

Can someone tell me the difference between .38 ammunition and .380 ammunition? I keep telling my step-dad that it's the amount of gunpowder load that is in the shell but the bullet size is the same...

Am I wrong?? I really don't know but I just figured because of the resemblance in number.

The reason I'm asking though it because my mother is getting a ccw and I want her to get a round she can handle but one that has high velocity as well.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #2

powder loads vary so it's entirely possible to get them both with identical grain count. According to the tech data the .380 has a slight advantage on penetration but the experts say it has more to do with the guns available at various times. For a while there were no sub barrels for one giving velocity to the other and so on. They are close enough to be a wash, IMO. I'd make a decision based on ammo cost and the gun being used.

.380 is a short 9mm basically and was developed around 1900 or so for use in smaller handguns. I'm not up on 38 history other than memories of police expressing disdain for the round's stopping power and claims that they would often bounce off windshields.

The recent BK shooting in Florida saw a would be robber shoot a CCW holder 3 times with a .380. The CCW carried a 9mm and killed the robber. All the facts aren't in and we're told the press is inaccurate but setting aside shot placement and so on - the good guy only spent a few days in the hospital despite taking at least one round in the chest near his heart.

380 would be a very close up defense round, IMO with some leeway for special tactical loads, slugs, hollow points, etc. I would not want to use it in a gunfight against a larger round (assuming equal shooting skills) at a distance of more than 10 feet or so. I'd use it for target practice and perhaps a back up weapon with a 9 or 45 in the primary role.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

They are not the same, the .380 is a rimless cartridge for semiauto pistols, and the .38 Spl it's to be used in revolvers, so they are completely different... next is some info about both cartridges from the Municion.org website (is in spanish, so I translate it in to my bad english)
You can see in the graphics the diameter of the bullets are about 9mm... the 9mm/.38 has so many cartridges that you could spend hours reading about all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
Can someone tell me the difference between .38 ammunition and .380 ammunition? I keep telling my step-dad that it's the amount of gunpowder load that is in the shell but the bullet size is the same...
Am I wrong?? I really don't know but I just figured because of the resemblance in number.
The reason I'm asking though it because my mother is getting a ccw and I want her to get a round she can handle but one that has high velocity as well.
The 380 ... Name it as you want... 9 x 17 mm./ 9 Short / 9 Corto / 9 Kurtz / .380 ACP / 9mm Holland PS Nº 21 / 9mm Italiano Mod.1934 / 9mm Beretta 1934 / 9 mm Browning / 9mm SIG / 9 mm Super / .380 Auto Webley / .380 Colt Auto Hammerless / 8.8x17 Corto / GR 929 / DWM 540 / SAA 4865 / XCR 09 017 CGC 010
...Was invented in 1908 by John Browning for the 380 Hamerless Auto Pistol. Two years later, was adopted by the Belgian F.N. for the Mod. 1910.
Some people says that its power is the minimum recommended for personal defense. Its main advantage is that the low pressure that develops allows guns to be used in blowback pistols, simplifying its manufacturing.

The 38 ...Name it as you want .38 Special / .38 S&W Special / 9x29.5 R / .38 Colt Special /.38-44 / GR 682 / GR 933 /GR 974 / SAA 5295 / XCR 09 029 CBC 020
...The war in Philippines showed to the U.S. that the regulatory caliber, then the 38 Long Colt, did not have enough stoping power.
As a result, S&W developed this cartridge that entered the market in 1902. The U.S. Army finally adopted on 45 ACP instead of .38 Special, but it was a great success. Virtually all the guns of security forces were chambered for this cartridge.
It is one of the world's most popular calibers, and the most commonly used in revolvers. Therefore we can find a great variety of loads, bullet types and finishes. For those who want more power there's a more powered load. These are marked "+ P".
Subsequently, the .357 Magnum was developed for those who still wanted more power. Is a longer and with more powder 38 Spl. To avoid accidents, a .357 Magnum can shoot 38 spl ammo, but you can't shoot a .357 load in a 38 spl revolver. Many people have the 357 Magnum revolvers but shoot 38 spl to practice.

There's more cartriges in this family....

like the .357 Magnum

the 9 x 19 Parabellum or 9 mm Luger or 9 mm NATO or just 9 mm

But exist so many others....38 Super... .357 Sig ...but the 9mm it's a family itself... 9x18 (Makarov), 9x21, 9x23(largo) there's so many other cartridges
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks a lot infotech and asmel

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

What year did the 9mm come into action..

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

9mm luger,para, nato or 9x19 was introduced in 1902.
380 auto, 9mm kurtz or 9x17 in 1912
38 spl came in 1902 as well.

bullet diameters differ

9mm and 380 are .356
38 and 357 are .358

380 IS a viable option for carry, with ammunition like Buffalo Bores 100gr hardcast yielding 1160 FPS and 298 FT LBS of energy at the muzzle, froma Browning BDA 3.75" bbl.

Netting 1060 fps and 249 Ft lbs from a Keltec P3AT.

I have carried 380 many times, as an option to clothing necessitated by certain places or events.
But I rely on 9mm most every day.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-16-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

As you can see in my signature, I shoot both.

From a purely non-technical, non-jargon, point of view, the .38spl round looks like a serious round and the .380 round looks like a teeny little toy round. I wouldn't want to be hit by either. But if I had to choose, I'd rather be struck by a .380 round any day than a .38spl.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
What year did the 9mm come into action..
One year eight months.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8383 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is actually slightly older than the 9mm parabellum- it first came out in 1899, and the first one was a black powder load. Source- US cartridges and Their Handguns, Chas Suydam.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is actually slightly older than the 9mm parabellum- it first came out in 1899, and the first one was a black powder load. Source- US cartridges and Their Handguns, Chas Suydam.
Dammit C3, will you just stop posting real information and spread BS like the rest of us.

About 3 years ago, a fella I knew in Atlanta (gun noob), bought a Bersa .380 and the store sold him a box of .38 Special to go with it. He asked me one day why the ammo wouldn't fit and I asked him to bring the mag & ammo to work the next day. Yeah, I had a huge laugh and I traded him a box of .380 for the .38s...