357sig vs 40s&w - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 357sig vs 40s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Going from 40sw to 357sig would be "going down" in caliber...not the other way around. A 357sig is a 40sw case necked down to meet a 9mm bullet. If the 357 was larger, it (obviously) wouldn't have any need to be "necked down". That's why 357sig's standard weight is 125gr, while 40sw's is 180. A 357sig shoots a 9mm bullet, while a 40sw essentially shoots a 10mm.

Regardless, you can (in almost all cases) go either way on these calibers when it comes to conversion barrels and bi-caliber mags...because the butt end (70% or so) of the 40sw casing applies to both.

I don't mean to be rude at all, but... DodgerBlue, I'm going to excercise an opportunity to call you out a bit here- based on some of your previous posts claiming that Glocks are the be all/end all...and that archaic guns like the BHP can't hold a candle to them. Well, your limited experience is now officially confirmed. Glocks are very good and very reliable guns BTW, and I wish you nothing but the best in your experiences with them. But you have a great deal to learn. I should know, as I'm in that boat myself. But maybe keep a bit more of a humble, open-minded approach going forward.
Nobody likes a know it all.

"if you're going to barrel swap you can only go down in cal. it might take some research but I think you need the .357 and then pop in the .40. I don't know with the .40 will take a .357 barrel.

I simply pointed out what might need to be taken into consideration.
Hope this helps or if you already knew all this maybe it'll help someone eles

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 08-25-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 261 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm not going to trash this thread with the "cut and paste" job I could apply here.

You know exactly what I was referring to, so I'll leave it at that. And for the record, I'm a novice...I'll be one for some time I'd imagine.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Instead of enjoying shooting like we should, people from time to time wanna see who's better than who, or who's got the biggest or best what ever. A person asked a question and we shouldn't tell them what to do, we should advise them and let them make their own decision. Somethings are up for debate and we should do it without judging or bashing their ideas but prove yours is better. Either way we are here cause we enjoy shooting or guns.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

To do an accurate comparison you must take both calibers and see the ballistics on the same type of ammo. It's not a fair compare if you take a light 40 and heavy 357, or a +p 40 to non +p 357. If you do a fair compare the 357 should win every time. The advantage the 40 has is diameter and energy transfer to the victim because it's slower. Fast rounds have more energy, but it's not felt energy cause it goes threw the target. The 40 is better for home defense and personal defense against another person, but the 357 sig is better if you have shoot threw an object to hit your target like a car door or house door.

If you plan on hunting with one of two calibers I would go 357 sig, because it has less drop, more accuracy, more energy, and more distance.