357sig vs 40s&w
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 357sig vs 40s&w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 357sig vs 40s&w

I have an oppertunity to get a great buy on a sig p239 in either 357 sig or 40s&w. Is there a big difference in performance and recoil between 357sig and 40s&w? I have shot the 40s&w but not the 357sig. Other than the price difference between the two rounds can anybody help me decide which to go with. I realize the barrels can be swapped if I were to chose in the future but I guess I'm asking if the price difference for the 357 round is worth it. Also I have only been able to shoot the regular da/sa, any input on the DAK trigger? I liked the da/sa. This will eventually be a carry weapon primarily. Any help would be appreciated.

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

.357 SIG is awesome. I shoot the Glock 32 and love it. The biggest difference I know of is that .357 SIG will shoot much tighter. Groups will be very nice. I had once a G27 and it was a tough shoot. Though it was the compact model. IMO, the think the .357 is a much better shot.
The DAK trigger is awesome. I have shot it and really liked it. It's like not to hard or to easy to pull. Would love to have that Sig in that .357. Good luck

Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have both 357 sig and 40 S&W in 2 different sig 229s. Both are great, but the 357 will literally shoot circles around a 40. The 357 ballistics are awesome, and will hit distance(I've shot my Glock 32 out to 100 yards and put 10 out of 13 center mass). You can use the same mags for both rounds, you can do a barrel swap on the same slide and frame.

If you're only gonna do one, go 40 cause 357 sig is pricey, but if you got deep pockets go 357 hands down. Texas Rangers and DPS use it for a reason, it's good.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

On the DAK trigger, that is personal choice. It feels a lot like a DA revolver, it's so/so in my opinion. I had a para DA that I did not like. I like traditional DA/SA better, but that's my opinion. I've never shot a 239 but the my experience with Sigs has been good. I have a 229 duo tone in 357 sig, 229 elite in 40 S&W, and a 220 carry. Accurate and reliable all day. If you ask me, I'd say thumbs up.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Like AznZOhAn said you can buy it in 40 and buy a spare barrel in 357sig and you have both guns I did it with my 226 and love the versatility, although I mostly use the 357Sig for CCW.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. I think the best way to go might be 40s&w until I feel more comfortable with the gun itself then look into the barrel swap for the better ballistics of the 357. I'm still up in the air over the trigger choice... it seems some guys like the DAK and some don't really care for it. Might just go with what I know I already like in the sa/da. Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOSNEXT
Thanks for the input. I think the best way to go might be 40s&w until I feel more comfortable with the gun itself then look into the barrel swap for the better ballistics of the 357. I'm still up in the air over the trigger choice... it seems some guys like the DAK and some don't really care for it. Might just go with what I know I already like in the sa/da. Thanks again for the help.
One more word of advice, every 40 I've ever shot has alway shot low and left with the sight being centered from the factory, so it will adjusting. Every 357 sig I've shot was dead on from the factory with the sights centered. If it were me instead of just a barrel swap, I would get a separate slide assembly from Sig with the caliber exchange. That would save you head ache of having to readjust your sights. For a CCW I would go 40, and use the 357 sig for road trips. Texas highway patrol uses 357 sig because it has awesome ballistics against a car. It has the least windshield deflection, and penetrates the A frame on the car. The test was against other semi auto rounds.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

357sig is a ballistically outstanding round, but just really expensive to feed at the range. You'll be hard pressed to get it much cheaper than $20 per box (50). The best deals I've seen online are Georgia Arms $16/50 and American Eagle ($18/50), but both hit that $20 mark when you add shipping. Compare that to about $15/50 for 40sw at your local Walmart.

I like the P239 a lot and wouldn't mind adding one in 357/40. The version I would choose would definitely be the SAS edition with SRT (short reset trigger). I'd make for a nice carry gun.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks again for the well detailed advice. I like the sas edition as well. I can't wait to get my hands on this gun and send some rounds down range.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Secret service carries 357 for a reason. Flattest shot there is imo. 40 is slightly cheaper to shoot and the snap seems to be the same. I personally carry 40, but out of convenience factors...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...