.25 acp - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .25 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2832 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Assuming that you have a .25 that functions reliably, it's better than nothing. Punch enough holes, and even a dedicated bad guy may rethink his plan.
.380s are everywhere in different shapes & sizes, at all sorts of price points. Why bother with a .25?

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
.380s are everywhere in different shapes & sizes, at all sorts of price points. Why bother with a .25?
Because super-small .380s SUCK to shoot.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2832 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Because super-small .380s SUCK to shoot.
So do .357 snubbies with full tilt ammo. People buy and carry them too. Near as I can tell, this was never about range guns.
In a similar sized pistol, you might as well get to something adequate. Even if it's less than a joyous experience to shoot.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #15

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I'm going to take a couple major steps here.

First, you can't get a 9mm for whatever reason,

because you would have taken it over a .32 or

.380, if you could have.

Second, most .25s I've used are fairly crappy, and the ammo

is limited and expensive.

So, given the much better choices of quality .22LR pistols and

ammo, my attitude is if I'm going to go down to .25, I might as

well embrace the finer aspects of the .22LR caliber CC pistols.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #16

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

I believe the .25 ACP the .32 ACP and the .380 ACP were all brainchilds of John Moses Browning. JMB was the most prolific and successful firearm designer of our time with many of his designs still serving militaries, sportsmen, LEO's, and armed citizens around the globe...HOWEVER, no one is perfect and IMHO all 3 of these cartridges are unsuitable for personal defense, even in the BUG role.

Honestly, I think they were all developed around the turn of the last century as Browning was tinkering with blow back designs before he struck gold with his tilt barrel, locked breech 1911 which enabled the use of more powerful cartridges like the .45 ACP. Of course being in business to earn a living JMB still sold production rights to these cartridges along with some nifty pocket pistol designs to fire them and effective or not, they sold quite well.

Regardless, I still consider them to be "stepping stones" on the path of invention that led to the .45 ACP and the 1911 pistol. Interestingly however, while most "stepping stone" inventions are relegated to the trash heap, "think BETA before VHS or VHS before the Compact Disk", these noisy cricket calibers seem to endure?

I feel this endurance is due soley to the tiny Carry guns chambered for them and the tiny price point they are offered at.

I'll admit, I too fell victim to the mystique of the pocket pistol when NAA introduced thier Guardian in .32 ACP and even carried it for a short time.

I'm glad I've not yet needed my CCW and very grateful I did not need it when the only thing I had was a .32 stuck in the coin pocket of my Jeans.

The ballistic data I've seen shows little difference between the major calibers of 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP, .357 and .44 BUT they do show a considerable drop in performance for anything .380 or smaller.

Given the array of uber compact 9 mm's and even the new tiny XDS in .45 ACP, I see no reason to handicap yourself with a sub caliber sidearm. Especially when you'll spend the initial purchase savings on more expensive ammo over time anyway.

Just my .02 cents

Tack

Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #17

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
So do .357 snubbies with full tilt ammo. People buy and carry them too. Near as I can tell, this was never about range guns.
In a similar sized pistol, you might as well get to something adequate. Even if it's less than a joyous experience to shoot.
You know, I've not found this to be particularly true. I've had a 2" m19 and found it to be very pleasant to shoot. My 3" M60 wasn't bad unless you were shooting heavy 180 gr. hunting loads. Even my uncles scandium framed S&W isn't too bad for small amounts of shooting.

Micro .380s (like the S&W Sigma I had), on the other hand, are flat out tortuous to shoot. I couldn't even get through a single magazine without stopping to rest my hand and wrist.

I guess I'm just a wimp but, if I'm going to carry one of these little micro guns, the .380s are out. I'll take a .32 ACP in something like a Beretta Tomcat instead.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #18

Thanks soo much for the info guys! Btw I'm new to this

Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #19

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Rack the slide on any .25, or small caliber auto, and lock it

into the battery position. (back) Hold the gun, and see if the

crook of your hand rides into the bottom of the rear of the

slide.

An additional drawback to small autos is the beavertail

which protects your hand with larger autos is either

insignificant, or non-existent.

Which translates to the danger of being cut between the

thumb and forefinger, in the crook of your hand,

when you shoot. ln an emergency or trouble situation,

an injury like this could be very inconvenient...

Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
What do y'all think about this caliber?
Maybe I'm closed-minded, or even misinformed. But I honestly can't think of anything to like about a 25acp pistol.

I'd imagine somewhere there exists a few decent guns chambered in this caliber, maybe even "classics". But C3 pretty well covered it. This is a less than common (translation: often expensive/hard to find ammo) caliber, with truly anemic potency, that is delivered almost exclusively from piss-poor "Saturday Night Special" type platforms. That recipe is riddled with headaches.

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't prefer a micro 9mm, 38sp, 380acp, or even 327mag. There are some platforms that'll rattle your bones in these calibers, but there are also relatively soft-shooting alternatives for each as well.

If you're looking at 25acps simply because they're ultra affordable (like Raven Arms), STOP! Realistically, you're probably simply throwing money away...which sort of defies the whole budget concept. You'd be better off with an affordable 22lr or even a Hi-Point C9.