Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .25 acp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/25-acp-65833/)

cooldude 06-05-2012 09:04 AM

.25 acp

What do y'all think about this caliber?any Good for self defense at all?

rjd3282 06-05-2012 09:46 AM

You'd be better off with a sharp stick.

c3shooter 06-05-2012 09:56 AM

Purely personal opinions- marginally better than a 22 LR in a pistol, since the semi-rimmed case feeds better, and the centerfire cartridge is a tad more reliable. Other than that, it is too small and too light to have significant stopping power.

Even John Browning could have an off day, y'know.

One table of "one shot stops" shows the performance of the .25 in actual use to be about 27%. If 100 attackers were shot with a .25, 27 of them would be stopped with one hit. The .357 Magnum has a 96% rate.

It has low recoil, and is typically chambered in very small "vest pocket" guns. These can be difficult to shoot well since it is hard to get a grip on something that small- commonly, 2 fingers only will fit on the grip.

Problem is compounded by its use in pistols that are frequently of questionable quality and reliability. There is a lot of difference between a Baby Browning and a Jiminez or Raven.

It would not be my first choice. If it were my ONLY choice, would be aware that this may not stop the zombies, and have a plan B.

drc 06-05-2012 10:47 AM

It will do the job if you stick it in the perps ear & press the trigger repeatably---LOL

Ranger-6 06-05-2012 11:22 AM

The .25acp is an up-close gun. Stick it under the perp's chin and empty the clip. I carry the .22lr as an CCW and have not problem sticking it in the eye of a perp and unloading.

mountainman13 06-05-2012 12:06 PM

I carry a .25 as a secondary gun and as my main home defense gun. The .25 is very easy to conceal and you don't have to get into knife range if you have to use it. As far as using it for home defense that is because I live in an apartment and have already seen that a 9mm will penetrate a head,bed,floor and end up lodged in a wall in the next apartment down. I imagine a chest shot would pass through the next apartment and exit the building. Don't need that headache.

danf_fl 06-05-2012 01:41 PM

If you want a claiber that is good for self defense, ask yourself this:

If I were in a pen with a 150# wild pig, hell bent on doing me harm, what would give me the advantage?

If you would not use a .25 caliber is such a situation, then why depend on it against a 200# bad guy.

lucznik 06-05-2012 07:25 PM

If I were in a pen with a hog as described and could choose my weapon, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun. But, those are difficult to carry concealed so, I make compromises.

If a .25 is all you have, carry it. No one will want to be shot with it. If you have some choice in the matter, even the .22 LR has been shown to be a better "one shot fight stopper" and the ammo will be cheaper to boot.

If you want a true pocket gun, don't want a lot of recoil, and would like to stick to centerfire options, then a good .32 ACP might be a worthy option to consider.

jeepejeep 06-05-2012 07:36 PM

As the others said, it's a very, very close range round. That said, I have an old Raven pocket pistol that cost me around $70 brand new when I bought it and it's pretty fun to shoot and try to actually hit something with. My kids named it "The Noisy Cricket" after the gun in "Men in Black" but it has nowhere the punch of that thing!
It would be very low on my list of self defense rounds but better than nothing. At contact range or close to it, a few rounds in the face would deter a bad guy.

c3shooter 06-05-2012 07:41 PM

Used to be an old joke about some guns that are meant to be used in a two handed stance.

One hand holds the pistol. The other hand holds the shoulder of your opponent.

:eek: