22lr questions walther and ruger - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 22lr questions walther and ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
I am partial to the rugers myself. The only downside is you have to know the secret handshake to disassemble and reassemble the damn things. Thank god for you tube. Its the only gun that I know of that you are required to buy a rubber mallet to take it apart.
haha. I completely agree, and I've done the same darn thing. I didn't even know youtube would have such a thing. I just put something into google, and was relieved that I wasn't the only one completely stumped.

My blog - I sell nothing don't worry.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Jon,

We seem to be on the same page about a lot of firearms, so I'll just tell you how I came down on this. I just recently bought a Browning Buck Mark and love it!

The 22/45 is a platform I was interested in because of its similarity to the 1911 (grip angle, safety placement, etc.). The P22 is a totally different platform so I ended up discounting it for my needs. I wanted a gun that I could hunt with, if necessary, and have fun with at the range while keeping the platform fairly similar to my 1911s.

The Buck Mark has many of the same features of the 22/45, but just feels more high quality. Take-down is REALLY easy and just requires a couple of allen wrenches (I use driver bits).

I bought 6 different ammos to try and not finicky at all. I did, however, only use plated ammo (solid and HP). I don't want to got lead all up in there.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6464 Times on 3434 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Jon,

We seem to be on the same page about a lot of firearms, so I'll just tell you how I came down on this. I just recently bought a Browning Buck Mark and love it!

The 22/45 is a platform I was interested in because of its similarity to the 1911 (grip angle, safety placement, etc.). The P22 is a totally different platform so I ended up discounting it for my needs. I wanted a gun that I could hunt with, if necessary, and have fun with at the range while keeping the platform fairly similar to my 1911s.

The Buck Mark has many of the same features of the 22/45, but just feels more high quality. Take-down is REALLY easy and just requires a couple of allen wrenches (I use driver bits).

I bought 6 different ammos to try and not finicky at all. I did, however, only use plated ammo (solid and HP). I don't want to got lead all up in there.
i dont disagree, ive fired rental buckmarks and ive liked em quite a bit. the disqualifying factor in this purchase for the buckmark is lack of threaded barrel.

my gsg 1911-22 has a threaded barrel but its the only 22lr pistol i have with one and i want a second 22 pistol to go with it.

i ruled out the p22 today. tried one out and it was too much like the sig mosquito.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #14

The Buck Mark barrel comes off so easily I could imagine there being an aftermarket barrel for it that's threaded.

I'd love to get a GSG-1911...someday.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6464 Times on 3434 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The Buck Mark barrel comes off so easily I could imagine there being an aftermarket barrel for it that's threaded.

I'd love to get a GSG-1911...someday.
tactical solutions makes em but they are 100$ish. making that route kinda pricey. as i would have to get the buckmark then buy a barrel. if i already had one i would go that way. i already investigated that when i was narrowing down my choices. with the ruger i spend 15$ a pop on spare mags instead of a barrel.

i wouldnt mind having a buckmark with a short barrel. ive always liked the old colt woodsman and i own a high standard HD military which is what colt copied. ill drag out the hd and do a range report on someday. i dont shoot it much as the springs are very worn making it very ammo picky.

i ruled out any barrel that was 5.5 or greater as that is the cut off for keeping standard velocity 22lr subsonic. 5.5 and greater is enough length for the round to break the sound barrier. it left me with the ruger and walther as i already have a mosquito that i dont need bad karma from foisting it off on some poor sucker.

i couldnt find any other 22lr that fit that criteria.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #16

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts

I recently had my first experience with taking a MkII down and it wasn't fun, but I would still spend my hard earned money on the Ruger way before the Walther. The Walther is cool looking, but accuracy, reliability, and USA made are all in the favor if Ruger... They have been the most popularly bought pistol of this caliber for a reason! That said, I have an SR9 which also has the polymer frame and, although a steel or metal frame would have been my first choice, the frame seems to be pretty solid and well made. That being said of a pistol shooting 9mm, I can't imagine the much lighter recoiling .22 would do any harm to said frame. Anyone know where I could find a MKII 22/45?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #17

You can only buy Ruger 22/45 Mark II's used. If you find one, BUY it. The NIB 22/45's are all Mark III series.