22lr questions walther and ruger
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

22lr questions walther and ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7282 Times on 3874 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Default 22lr questions walther and ruger

Discounting price which is a better gun and why. I'm looking at the walther p22 vs the ruger 22/45. My concerns are ammo sensitivity and the ability to defeat magazine safeties along with general reliability.

Haven't been able to find concrete opinions I trust
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Jon the Ruger is less touchy when it comes to ammo. My Walther P22 only like CCI mini mags. I feed it anything else and it pisses me off. I've fired the 22/45 and it ate everything the Walther wouldn't.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #3

I am partial to the rugers myself. The only downside is you have to know the secret handshake to disassemble and reassemble the damn things. Thank god for you tube. Its the only gun that I know of that you are required to buy a rubber mallet to take it apart.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

That is the upside of the Walther P22, easy to take down and clean.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

I own both,

In my opinion the Walther is just a 'Fun Gun' whereas the Ruger is both Fun and robust, The Walther probably won't last a lifetime, Whereas the Ruger is something your Grandkids would pass down to their kids.

The Ruger can accomplish some serious Target work, The Walther not so much, There are tons of configurations i.e. Bbl length, Finish, Grip angle etc..for the Ruger, The Walther not so much, You can change the grip feel on a Walther and get an extended barrel, But that's about it.

The Ruger is all Steel with the exception of the Newer 22/45's with Polymer (Plastic) Frames.

One of the biggest negatives against the Walther is the Slide is made from essentially pot metal, While mine has been 100% reliable no matter what I've put through it, Google P22 and you'll see people having tons of problems with them.

The Biggest Negative for the Ruger is the take down/disassembly procedure, But even that can be mastered, Shop around and You'll find Rugers cheaper in price than the P22 - But the sky's the limit on Rugers and you can easily exceed the cost P22.

As a plus the Ruger is American made as that matters to some. That's the basics in a nutshell, a Plus for the Walther though is the Uber Cool look, But the Ruger isn't bad looking either.

TJ

Old 04-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Liked 2349 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

I own a 22/45. Awesome gun. It shoots anything you find. Heck you can pick up other peoples leftovers off the groud from last week. It just alwasy goes bang.

It is also the only gun I own (and I have a bunch) that I have to get the manual out every time I clean it.

I have not shot the Walter. But one time we allowed .22 lr to be used in a pistol competition. We were trying to increase participation by the ladies. It worked. Three ladies that were together on a team all shot 22s. Two of them were Walthers. They had a bunch af misfires. Both of them. Not sure how well they maintained their guns though. Everyone shot about 150 rounds. I bet they each had 8-10 misfires.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I should have said I currently have a ruger mark2 target model but its very ammo sensitive. I'm prolly going to trade it in on a walther or 22/45. So I'm wondering how each performs. I like the feel of both so its really down to performance with a wide variety of 22lr.

I know the rugers are more accurate but its frustrating when a gun has to constantly be cleared of jams. My current mark 2 jams at least once per mag with just about every brand. So this has made me a little gunshy as they say in regards to the 22/45

I'm leaning towards the ruger but I don't really want to deal with yet another jamomatic. I'm going to rid myself of the mark2. I've got 6 mags for it and it doesn't matter which one it jams.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-30-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 2349 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

My 22/45 is ultra reliable. Probably more so than any other gun I have owned. If it ever just goes click, it is because it is a pain in the butt to clean so I only clean it every 1000 rounds or so.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #9

Jon,

Try looking into the Browning Buckmark -- The one I shot seemed to be on par with the Ruger. When it comes to .22 pistols, The sky's yhe limited, seems everybody makes something in .22lr. -- of course there's always the Ruger Single Six , Slow to load/unload, limited capacity ~ But it goes bang everytime and eats what you feed it.

TJ

Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
Jon,

Try looking into the Browning Buckmark -- The one I shot seemed to be on par with the Ruger. When it comes to .22 pistols, The sky's yhe limited, seems everybody makes something in .22lr. -- of course there's always the Ruger Single Six , Slow to load/unload, limited capacity ~ But it goes bang everytime and eats what you feed it.

TJ
used to have a ruger single six sold it. not really a revolver person

the reason im going tween the p22 and 22/45 is both have threaded barrels for suppressors.

i think im going to give ruger one more chance.

thanks for the input guys