22lr HP - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 22lr HP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
My curiosity wants to know if the HP actually helps with expansion on a .22lr round? I mean, the orifice is smaller then the width of a sewing needle, can it really make that much difference?
I would suspect that velocity has more to do with expansion than the size of the "orifice"...have you seen the size of the opening on a M118LR round? Pretty sure they expand without problems. As for the .22LR, I can't say that the velocity is or is not sufficient for bullet expansion.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 695

first, the HP vs the solid. when used properly can drastically change the effect on target. for instance, if i shoot a squirrel with a solid. it generally puts nice enter exit holes. with a .22 hp ive taken half the head apart. however. this is with small animals. on human sized targets i would say athe difference would be small.

now onto the . 22lr vs 22 mag.
the differences arent a lot however its enough that it can take small game at 100yrd or less with no problem. here is a photo of the difference in size. however i do not know the exact velocities, impact power numbers

22_long-_22_lr-_22_winchester_magnum.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
My curiosity wants to know if the HP actually helps with expansion on a .22lr round? I mean, the orifice is smaller then the width of a sewing needle, can it really make that much difference?
I don't happen to have any left since I just shot my last couple rounds yesterday, but I do know what you mean when it comes to the tiny "hollow" wich looks like somebody just barely stuck a pen into the mold. However some have a pretty extensive hollow to them. I was using Winchesters Hyper Velocity rounds and a friend had some Federals (not sure wich ones) and we had some small travel sized coffee jars (plastic) set up about 25 or so yards away and when he would hit the. It wouldn't seem to do all to much. But when the winchesters would hit them they made a pretty good show. Either the lip would fly clean up into the air or the round would expand so quickly in the water that the back of the jar would be blown clean off.

If I get the time and can find a small enough box of those Winchesters I'll make a video of both hitting those jars. Reason I want a smaller box is that since they where lead rounds id get some jams with them. But not enough to find them annoying.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #14

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Well regardless of why made, obviously supply/demand is an easy argument, though most likely invalid in this case, but why bought? If they weren't being bought they wouldn't continue to be made, the reverse side of S&D. Am I to believe that people pay the extra buck for a box of HP just because they're made or because they're that ignorant, ir us it because they really do make a difference? This is what I wonder.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

I don't happen to have any left since I just shot my last couple rounds yesterday, but I do know what you mean when it comes to the tiny "hollow" wich looks like somebody just barely stuck a pen into the mold. However some have a pretty extensive hollow to them. I was using Winchesters Hyper Velocity rounds and a friend had some Federals (not sure wich ones) and we had some small travel sized coffee jars (plastic) set up about 25 or so yards away and when he would hit the. It wouldn't seem to do all to much. But when the winchesters would hit them they made a pretty good show. Either the lip would fly clean up into the air or the round would expand so quickly in the water that the back of the jar would be blown clean off.

If I get the time and can find a small enough box of those Winchesters I'll make a video of both hitting those jars. Reason I want a smaller box is that since they where lead rounds id get some jams with them. But not enough to find them annoying.
That would be awesome man. I'm basically trying to convince myself to pick up a plinkin' gun, but I need more reason than just fun, there's got to be a practical application for me, such as possible personal or home defense back up. If there's a round that can be found to do enough damage I can justify the purchase. I know it's stupid, but it's how I work.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

That would be awesome man. I'm basically trying to convince myself to pick up a plinkin' gun, but I need more reason than just fun, there's got to be a practical application for me, such as possible personal or home defense back up. If there's a round that can be found to do enough damage I can justify the purchase. I know it's stupid, but it's how I work.
I wouldn't call it stupid at all. But only thing is I'd be firing it out of a rifle and not a hand gun at all since I don had the proper papers for one.

As for having a round for something other then just plunking, some people up here go out to farmers cow pastures and see if they can work out a deal for Xcents/gopher and other things like that. I've heard of farmers paying a dollar for gopher as well. But even if you don't get payed, can always take the kinds or your lady friend out do a fun time that isn't to expensive.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

The .22 LR develops it's max velocity (and energy) in about a 12 inch bbl. May I point out that they are used in both rifles AND in pistols?

I hunt with .22 rifles. The standard 40 gr solid produces about 104 ft lbs of energy. A hypervelocity hollow point produces about 191 ft lbs. I would not consider almost doubling energy to be inconsequential. From a rifle, yes, they DO expand.

The 22 Magnum is a larger diameter, jacketed bullet. Yes, it has a lot more energy. About 324 ft lbs.

Would I CHOOSE a .22 pistol as my self defense round? No. Is it a decent hunting round for small game? Yep.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #18

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I like to hunt squirrels with the Winchester 555 bulk packs from Walmart. Big hollow point, and deadly on bushy tails. Get a Marlin 60 or 795 and go to town. Cheap optics are fine for rimfires.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
The .22 LR develops it's max velocity (and energy) in about a 12 inch bbl. May I point out that they are used in both rifles AND in pistols?

I hunt with .22 rifles. The standard 40 gr solid produces about 104 ft lbs of energy. A hypervelocity hollow point produces about 191 ft lbs. I would not consider almost doubling energy to be inconsequential. From a rifle, yes, they DO expand.

The 22 Magnum is a larger diameter, jacketed bullet. Yes, it has a lot more energy. About 324 ft lbs.

Would I CHOOSE a .22 pistol as my self defense round? No. Is it a decent hunting round for small game? Yep.
This is what I was looking for. So the 22 caliber is deadly, when fired from a long barrel... A rifle. But out of a handgun... Not so much. That makes sense. Thanks for the info. This was all good to know.

Though it, unfortunately, leaves me without what I need to justify the purchase. I was looking at a 1911 platform piece chambered for. 22lr. But if it's only purpose is plinking it's just not enough. I've got plenty of plinkers.

So what exactly do you hunt with a. 22 cal rifle?

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

This is what I was looking for. So the 22 caliber is deadly, when fired from a long barrel... A rifle. But out of a handgun... Not so much. That makes sense. Thanks for the info. This was all good to know.

So what exactly do you hunt with a. 22 cal rifle?
Squirrels.