22lr HP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 22lr HP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default 22lr HP

... Any point to it (other than hollow, for you smart asses)? It's such a small caliber that, if not placed properly, it does little damage, comparitively speaking of course.

Perhaps my assumption on hollow points is wrong, but my take, from the little I've learned, is that the purpose of a HP is to cause more damage than a standard FMJ.

So I wonder, would any of you trust a 22lr pistol, if loaded with hollow points, for home defense? I'm betting the answer is no. So why, then, even bother making them. Do they really do any more damage than a run of the mill 22lr?

Can any one give me a visual or any sort of tangible, layman, comparison to explain the results or balistics? How does it compare to say a 9mm FMJ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

There are countless reasons to make/own "X" caliber handguns that have nothing to do with home defense. Just because the .22lr is not the "best" caliber for home defense does not make it a useless caliber. Assuming handguns are strictly for defense is playing right into the hand of the anti gunners.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive often wondered the same thing too. Maybe ive been to ignorant to ever do any research on this question or maybe ive just thought it was silly. But the curiosity has always been there. The first time I seen the .22lr HP, I nearly crapped my pants in laughter. I bought the Remington "mega pack" to try something other than CCI, when I opened the box and seen HP's, I almost fell over in disbelief.

Id like to add to this as well, ive never used .22 magnum, what is the benefits/differences with this as well, compared to the normal .22lr?

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
There are countless reasons to make/own "X" caliber handguns that have nothing to do with home defense. Just because the .22lr is not the "best" caliber for home defense does not make it a useless caliber. Assuming handguns are strictly for defense is playing right into the hand of the anti gunners.
You completely misread this, or perhaps, rather, read into what you wished.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Supply and demand has a lot to do with what the manufacturers put out.

If someone determines an item will sell, then make it and sell it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
Ive often wondered the same thing too. Maybe ive been to ignorant to ever do any research on this question or maybe ive just thought it was silly. But the curiosity has always been there. The first time I seen the .22lr HP, I nearly crapped my pants in laughter. I bought the Remington "mega pack" to try something other than CCI, when I opened the box and seen HP's, I almost fell over in disbelief.

Id like to add to this as well, ive never used .22 magnum, what is the benefits/differences with this as well, compared to the normal .22lr?
My father is a huge fan of 22mag cartridge but has to explain to me why or how it packs any more punch, but I've come to the understandong that if you put the term mag behind any caliber it stands for bigger bang in some capacity. I've never actually compared the different rounds side by side, my guess is, however, that I'd see that the "mag" cartridge was larger in some way with more powder behind it, or aomething to the effect.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've never seen any research data on the effectiveness of a 22 HP bullet over a standard solid lead bullet. But I doubt their is any significant difference. But that's immaterial if their is a perception amongst the public that it does. If people go to buy ammo and seek out hollow points, with the belief that they are much better for a given purpose, then the manufacturers are going to fill that need.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1046 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 229

how about in the hands of an elderly person... better then nothing.

I know in my 9, JHP are more accurate than FMJ. I've never considered doing an accuracy test of .22LR HP v SP

I can see some advantage in some limited cases to carrying the little P22 over something bigger. In the case of that picky eater, it's only getting solid points... it doesn't like any form of HP!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My curiosity wants to know if the HP actually helps with expansion on a .22lr round? I mean, the orifice is smaller then the width of a sewing needle, can it really make that much difference?

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I also picked up a Remington bulk pack of HP, 525, 36 gr. and was surprised how well they fed in my 22 autos. Accuracy was on par w 40 gr. lead. Range was short though, 50 ft. for pistol and 25 yds for rifle.