Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .22 semi-auto pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default .22 semi-auto pistol

Im looking for an affordable .22 pistol to teach my wife correct grip and shooting technique. I dont want to spend alot on it, but i dont want it to blow up in her hands either. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2649 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

I am about to get flamed, but here goes.

Get to the nearest place that sells the American Heritage single action revolver in .22lr (and get the .22 mag cylinder).

The same basic hold used on a semi-auto can be applied to a revolver. The single action does not lend one to start the "spray and pray" in learning. Get the basics down. When she can shoot at 5" group with the single action at 15 yards, then you know you have taught her well.

Then graduate her to the semi auto and keep the .22 for plinking.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Garadex Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #3

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I am about to get flamed, but here goes.

Get to the nearest place that sells the American Heritage single action revolver in .22lr (and get the .22 mag cylinder).

The same basic hold used on a semi-auto can be applied to a revolver. The single action does not lend one to start the "spray and pray" in learning. Get the basics down. When she can shoot at 5" group with the single action at 15 yards, then you know you have taught her well.

Then graduate her to the semi auto and keep the .22 for plinking.
i have an interest in these american heritage 22 revolvers. do you have one? good experiences?

they just look pretty cool. cheap as dirt, too!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

i have a 22/45...can't complain. accurate, eats up most bulk ammo.

great gun...sub 300...bit of b***h to take down and clean at first...but it gets easy after awhile.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
i have a 22/45...can't complain. accurate, eats up most bulk ammo.

great gun...sub 300...bit of b***h to take down and clean at first...but it gets easy after awhile.
What he said. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I took nine to the range for the first time and was quite impressed with its accuracy and easy of shooting. Yes, it is a bear to take down, but I'm told it get used to it after a while. I've yet to see, since I haven't done it since I first did. I bought a 22/45 target, it has replaceable grip panels, a 5.5" bill barrel drilled and tapped and comes with the rail.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

the Ruger SR-22 would be another good choice.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

A Browning Buckmark.

But a 22 revolver is better

Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

+1 on the .22 revolver. For all the reasons stated.

I would add less expensive semi-auto .22s tend to be very finicky about ammo. Revolvers don't have that problem. Which equates to less stress for both of you, while at the range and away.

I own a Bersa Thunder .22. I can't recommend that gun, in good conscience, to anyone, despite its attractive price point. It doesn't point naturally, it is extremely ammo finicky (and we haven't figured out its preferred brand yet), and to top it all off, the extractor broke after maybe about 2000 rounds. It was covered under warranty, so its fixed now, but it still fails to extract prolly 30-50% of each magazine (its only a 10 round magazine so that math isn't hard to figure out). It is a finicky gun, and I can't recommend it. Neither of you will enjoy shooting as much as you should. Oh I almost forgot, I haven't been able to find a spare magazine anywhere for it, for less than $50. I'm not paying that much. I haven't looked very hard, but I have checked several different websites on at least four occasions. As well as two different gun shows.

Find a good priced revolver in .22 and don't look back.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-12-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #9

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncampbell
Im looking for an affordable .22 pistol to teach my wife correct grip and shooting technique. I dont want to spend alot on it, but i dont want it to blow up in her hands either. Any ideas?
I like the Smith 22A semi!! Around 300 new. But like most have said if your just wanted something for training and technique, I would go the nearest dealer and find a decent used revolver!! Most dealers don't sell junk these days, junk meaning unsafe!! Business is to competitive, they want your future business!!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2649 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

I do have a single action .22lr.

While the single action .22lr is not "cool", or the latest thing with rails, it does the job of teaching or re-enforcing the basics of handgun shooting.

At the range yesterday, I observed a husband trying to teach his wife how to shoot. It appeared that rather than stress the basics, he just gave her a .22 semi-auto and let her shoot. He did not work on the basics of hold, breath control, aim, etc.... One could see the frustration she was having of not hitting the paper. One thing against her was that she was using a hold that I can only call "reversed". Shooting as if her dominant side was the right, she had her left hand around the grip first and pulling the trigger with the right (which was wrapped over the left). He just let her continue without corrections. So she ended up not enjoying the experience.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)