Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The .22 is the new .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2203 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I don't get it. All of the negatives of carrying a 1911 without any of the benefits? Am I missing something? Who cares about cheap-to-shoot for a carry gun? I'll gladly pay $1 per bullet if it will stop an attacker.
First, the weight of a 1911 is a benefit to the range shooter.

Second, if you pump a half dozen 22 rounds into even the

most determined attacker, I'll guarantee thoughts of a

hospital visit are going to cross his mind. I'd rather have my

GF hit someone with a 22 than miss with a .380.

1$ a bullet? Strange, my 45 ACP hollowpoints cost 2$ each.

Lucky you...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #22

That is what I am saying. I just picked up some stingers for my chiappa 1911-22.come attack me if you want but while your trying to hit me once with a 45 I will have shot you 10 times in under 10 seconds.plus an attack can't tell just from looks weather its a 22 or 45...atleast not at first glance

Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddleman View Post
That is what I am saying. I just picked up some stingers for my chiappa 1911-22.come attack me if you want but while your trying to hit me once with a 45 I will have shot you 10 times in under 10 seconds.plus an attack can't tell just from looks weather its a 22 or 45...atleast not at first glance
I look at it like this:

Someone who's not familiar with guns will think a .22 range pistol is a cannon.

Someone who is familiar with guns will be even more afraid of your

22. I just can't imagine an attacker saying "Oh, I'm not worried,

you've only got a 22!" ...

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I only started to carry. 22lr about two weeks ago fir warm weather carry.

Before that I carried a 5shot .38 special.
Hated to shoot it and was inaccurate without very careful shooting.

Then I realized I'd rather have 20 rounds of. 22 placed where I want them before I could have the revolver reloaded.

I will eventually split the difference with a single stack 9mm but until then I feel fine with the p22.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #25

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

That Kel Tec .22 Magnum is interesting, for sure!

I fell for the .380 craze. I bought two of them. They've since been sold. I got sick of the cost and availability of the ammunition. I would not carry a .22 for my EDC. I carry a 9mm and I think that's what I'll stick with. I just wouldn't trust it because I would bet my accuracy is going to be just as bad as my 9mm if a situation goes pear shaped and I have to use my gun. Hitting someone in non-lethal area is most likely going to piss them off. Some people will change their mind, some won't. I'm not taking the chance over any amount of money.

I love all my .22s, but I use them for target practice and just having fun plinking. As for being the most deadly caliber, I think that has a lot to do with the mob. It was a favored gun because there were no serial numbers and they're practically silent with the suppressor. And when you're shooting an unnamed person, assassination style, at close range it's pretty easy to take them down.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have two .22s and I love them. One is a ISSC M22 the other is a ruger Mark III. I however tend to carry my bodyguard .380 or my LC9. I would carry the M22 as I am more accurate with it than with either of the others but I am a big man and concealing something that big is problematic the .380 and the 9mm do better at that. Her in the PR of Massachusetts, people will freak out if they see a gun. I also have a M&P 40 but would not dream of carrying that.
Regarding the efficacy of the .22LR I for one would not want to be shot with one.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 443

I carried a Taurus PT22 for a long time. Once a month I took it to the range. I would bring a box of fresh 40 grn solids and set aside 17 rounds. I would shoot all the ammo that was loaded and the other 33 rounds. I would reload the mags and the pistol with the remaining 17 rounds. One day I went to the range and the round in the tube failed to fire. I stopped carrying the 22. If you are going to carry a 22lr use solids not hollow points. The hollow points wont open up anyway at the velocities generated in small handgun and you need penetration. Dont fool yourself that stingers and similar rounds will do any better. There is simply not enough barrel and you are handicapping yourself with a lighter bullet. If I were forced to carry a 22lr again, it would be a revolver like the Ruger LCR 7 shot 22lr because with a second strike there is a new cartridge.
I know of several people that keep a 10-22 for home protection. The longer barrel makes a big difference in velocity and power. It does not require as much training as a pistol. Timid shooters are not as afraid of them. They are especially useful in places where handguns are hard to get. The S&W M&P 15-22 would be another good one as it is easier to attach a flashlight and/or a laser. Load preference would be the most reliable ammo in your rifle in 38 grain HP or 40 grain solid. (A short 410 pump loaded with 000 buck does a nice job too.)

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #28

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

My new carry is my ruger sr22. I love it

Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #29

Liked 313 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got a .22lr conversion unit for my 1911. It's a lot cheaper to shoot and a great training tool because everything's exactly the same as it is with .45acp. Sight picture, trigger pull, action works the same. It just doesn't make as loud a bang. Is it a first or second choice as a self defense round? Of course not. But one in the brain or heart and you'll be dead as the proverbial door nail.

Last edited by Donn; 04-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #30

I've been thinking of getting a CC 22LR, I figure

"if you're going to go small, why screw around?" .