.22 or more?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .22 or more?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .22 or more?

I came across a gator today while fishing and decided I need a little more protection with me than the knife I carry. I own a Beretta .22 cal, so I'm thinking of getting a holster to start carrying it. But now I'm wondering if I should instead look at upgrading to a Beretta 9mm (I just like the feel of that brand). I don't plan to use the gun for recreational use; just something to carry when I'm in the wilderness. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Gators creep me the eff out. Carrying a 22lr wouldn't even cross my mind. I'd go with at least a caliber that starts with a 4 or 5.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

I have a picture in my mind of a .22 bouncing off the gator's head with slightly more umph than a BB gun.

Get the 9.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

I think 'gators have pretty tough hides. I'm too new to guns to know what caliber would be good but I can almost definitely say a .22 is too small.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good post, swing by the new member thread and tell us a bit about you. BTW there is a show called swampmen or something like that, seems they dispatch gators on a regular basis with a 22. If it was me I would would want something a bit more.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

a 22 could work maybe. Ive heard of 22s entering one side of a skull and bouncing around inside. personaally Id go with the 9 or 45.

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides

Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

A 9mm might work fine. But if I wanted a common caliber for these sort of circumstances, a 357mag would be at the top of the list.

I'm certainly no hunting/ballistics/gator expert, but I would be a little concerned about a slower round like a 45acp on tough skinned animal like a gator.

This might actually be one of those rare situations where a Taurus Judge/SW Governor (45lc/410ga) would be quite useful.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
A 9mm might work fine. But if I wanted a common caliber for these sort of circumstances, a 357mag would be at the top of the list.
I have a .357 revolver and I was going to say I think it could easily kill a 'gator. But I was afraid to say it because I wasn't sure. But here's two votes for a .357.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with the .357 suggestion. Wouldn't go with anything less in gator territory.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Good post, swing by the new member thread and tell us a bit about you. BTW there is a show called swampmen or something like that, seems they dispatch gators on a regular basis with a 22. If it was me I would would want something a bit more.
I watch that show too, pretty entertaining. From what they say on the show there is only one spot at the back of skull, where it meets the neck, that a shot will enter the brain. Some of the fisherman say that shooting it anywhere else just angers the gator

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD