Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .22 mags and best, economical semi-auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/22-mags-best-economical-semi-auto-18865/)

bradyman1 10-05-2009 05:04 PM

.22 mags and best, economical semi-auto

Why can't I find a .22 that holds more than 10 rounds? And what is the best of the economical semi-auto pistols? I am talking under $300.00. I know rugers and S&W are descent pistols but what about the Phoenix?

sweeper22 10-05-2009 11:28 PM

Did you mean economical 22 pistol, or something larger?

Gojubrian 10-06-2009 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The ruger charger is a pistol that holds more than ten rounds. In a smaller hand pistol you'd have to have the same type of mag as rem. 597's or the 10/22 to hold more rounds. You can't 'stack' .22lr's because of the rims.

Check out the browning buckmarks. (not my buckmarks)

NGIB 10-06-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradyman1 (Post 170291)
Why can't I find a .22 that holds more than 10 rounds? And what is the best of the economical semi-auto pistols? I am talking under $300.00. I know rugers and S&W are descent pistols but what about the Phoenix?

It seems that 10 rounders are about the standard. Going high capacity with rimmed cartridges is a problem as they don't stack vertically - hence the steep grip angle on most .22 semis.

As far as the Phoenix - you get what you pay for...

divinginn 10-06-2009 01:37 AM

I had a phoenix,it was a decent pistol for very close range,no where near a ruger or buckmark for accuracy.

Franciscomv 10-06-2009 04:17 AM

If you're looking for a good quality, inexpensive, .22 semiauto take a look at Bersa. I've got one of their old model 23s (all steel construction with walnut stocks), but I've tried a couple of their modern .22s and they work well.

They are plinking guns, so don't expect match accuracy, but I've been getting good results with mine at 25 meters.

bradyman1 10-06-2009 12:21 PM

Thanks for the responses. I never thought about the rim, and the stacking issue. That is understandable. I thought the phoenix looked nice because you can have a short barrel, for easy carrying, in the woods or while fishing/camping, just throw it in your pocket. But you can also get the longer barrel and use it more for target shooting. I am no marksman, but I do enjoy shooting. I love to shoot my .22 rifle, and love the accuracy. I also have a Ruger P95, and I like the gun, but I am not that accurate with handguns yet. I would like to get a .22 because they are quieter, and cheaper to shoot. I would like to mostly use it to better my skills with handguns. I can't afford alot, and I may end up getting something used.

NGIB 10-06-2009 01:20 PM

I've bought the vast majority of my guns used. Just do your homework on values and condition and there are some deals to be had out there. While some folks try to unload problems, I've yet to get a bad gun on the used market...