.22 Cal. Target Pistols - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > .22 Cal. Target Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, the Rugers are a pain to field strip. People say it gets easier but it never gets easy!

It's not hard to take apart but is difficult to get back together again because it requires a lot of alignment, and recalling the steps.

The upper has to be aligned juuuust right with the lower, then there's that pain in the butt bolt stop pin that you swear is a round peg going into a square hole when trying to insert it back through the receiver and upper. Then you struggle and struggle trying to pop the mainspring back into the rear of the grip only to find the stupid bolt stop pin popping back out! Arrrrrrgh!

Then you finally breathe a sight of relief thinking you've got it reassembled again only to discover you can't cock the bolt back because you forgot to have that annoying mainspring latch flipped over in the right direction! Arrrrrrrgh!

There are lots of good vids on Youtube which show you tricks on making reassembly easier but it's never as easy as something like a Glock.

On the other hand if you don't mind spending time cleaning and reassembly then it's a minor thing since you won't be doing a complete field strip every time you shoot the pistol. Or just think of the cleaning of a Ruger Mk as a hobby in itself because it's like a Rubik's Cube!

Aside from the reassembly issue, Ruger Mk series are really fun to shoot and easy to shoot because of its light single action trigger.

I would also consider the Sig Sauer P226 .22 Classic. You can always convert it later to a higher caliber by buying a conversion kit.

Last edited by misterballistic; 06-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterballistic View Post
I would also consider the Sig Sauer P226 .22 Classic. You can always convert it later to a higher caliber by buying a conversion kit.
That'$ a choice I wish I had. I might still have bought the MkIII though.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger MK 1 and MK 3 with Weaver rails. Love with red dot scope and without.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger MK's field strip easy once someone with experience shows you how to do it. Reading and videos will work but will take hours longer Han a friend with experience after 15 min. Just installed Volquartsen Trigger, hammer and sear in 20 min. If try to do on own with no breakdown training your dead.