Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   .22 Cal. semi-auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/22-cal-semi-auto-34294/)

Guns-N-Ammo 11-12-2010 03:59 PM

.22 Cal. semi-auto

Beside looking into getting a Glock for my carry gun, I am looking for a GOOD .22 cal. semi auto. So its not as expensive for me when I practice or go to the range! And would a .22 be a decent BUG to carry also??? And I would like it to look like a Glock!! Just my preference:D So any input would be great! Also I would probably carry it in a ankle holster!!!

Thanks
David

wb_carpenter 11-12-2010 04:26 PM

I dont reccomend a .22 as a bug since better options exist.

For a target .22 you could get a buckmark, ruger mark, 22a, neos you can even get the new glock copy .22 but doubt its target worthy.

JTJ 11-12-2010 05:23 PM

ISSC M22 .22LR Giveaway - Enter Now!
It is on top of the page. This gun looks like a Glock but action is different. I have seen mixed reviews. Seems like you get a good one or a bad one. $300- in gun shops.
22lr is really not recomended for carry but it has killed a lot of people. I carried mine a lot before I got my P3AT. Use solids not HP if you do as you will need all the penetration you can get. Besides a lot of small semi 22lr's are not reliable with HP. The small Beretta is one of the best but pricey.
The Taurus PT 22 is not too bad but Dont use hyper velocity ammo. You will destroy the gun and blow your warranty. Dont load more than 8 rnds in the mag or it will jam. The big advantage is you can get in a lot of cheap practice and they are easy to handle. At least once a month I will take a fresh box of ammo and shoot what is in my mags and all but 17 rnds to reload with after I clean the gun. I use CCI Blazer solids. I still use it to practice with.

dunerunner 11-12-2010 05:27 PM

The Walther P22 is fairly inexpensive and I have heard no complaints about the pistol, yet.

As a back-up, I would not recommend a .22. Look at a Ruger LCR, LCP and 9mm Compact.

DrJason 11-12-2010 05:50 PM

I vaguely remember seeing a conversion kit for Glocks?!?

A 22 that would be a good range gun would not be concealable as a BUG. And as others have said I don't think a 22 is a good self defense round.

Guns-N-Ammo 11-12-2010 06:59 PM

Thanks for all the input!!! So do you guys and gals think a subcompact .380 or 9mm would be useful for a BUG!!!

JonM 11-13-2010 01:21 AM

glock makes various conversions. 380acp is minimum imo for a conceal carry.

Guns-N-Ammo 11-15-2010 04:06 AM

Ya, I was thinking about the .380 for a BUG!!!!

wb_carpenter 11-15-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 385077)
The Walther P22 is fairly inexpensive and I have heard no complaints about the pistol, yet.

As a back-up, I would not recommend a .22. Look at a Ruger LCR, LCP and 9mm Compact.

My p22 had a cracked frame and its pretty common on this pistol. Walther fixed it but it cracked again after about 5k rounds.

HKSlinger 11-16-2010 01:47 AM

IMHO,I would stay with the same cal. as your primary carry piece. If you find your self in a gun fight at a distance, and see just how little damage a pistol round dose (compared to a rifle), you'll wish you could call in an air strike, rather than pulling your hold out that's even smaller. H&K, glock, springfield and others make very good bugs in full size cals.