Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   2011? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/2011-90673/)

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 06:20 AM

So these new breed of 1911-esque guns...

Mockery of true 1911 form, with their over exaggerated beavertails and skeletonized triggers and hammers, etc, or homages with their own unique adaptation of features in the modern shooter's world?

I'll admit, I'm the first camp. I still like them all, because of the more tamed, simple double stack alterations, but these new 1911 "pattern" guns, in general, just aren't the real deal, for the most part.

It's not that they're poor quality, just poor taste in most renditions, to me. They lack the class of olden day.

texaswoodworker 05-14-2013 10:17 AM

Different people have different tastes. You may love the old GI 1911s, but someone else may love the tactical versions.

sputnik1988 05-14-2013 10:23 AM

That's why they make grocery getters and race cars, different options for those with different tastes and needs.

They way I see it, if you love ANY gun, you should love all guns, even if they don't suit you personally...

Just one persons opinion though.

danf_fl 05-14-2013 11:43 AM

Appreciate what others have done before,
embrace what is coming.

Like what auto racing has done for the cars today. In 1968, you could not buy a car with headers. Only the cast exhaust manifolds. Today, almost every car has headers of some sort.

What the pioneers of firearm manufacturing did is (to me) fascinating. How they created a firearm with what would be considered by today's standard "crude" equipment and tools. How spring rates were decided on without today's test equipment. Would someone consider creating such an ugly thing that looks like the 1911 disconnector today and know how to apply it?

We live in a time where almost anything is possible. 3D printed firearms? Unheard of 20 years ago.

Embrace what is coming. The "2011" that you lament is a product of evolution. I wonder what the "2111" will be like.

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1246301)
Appreciate what others have done before,
embrace what is coming.

Like what auto racing has done for the cars today. In 1968, you could not buy a car with headers. Only the cast exhaust manifolds. Today, almost every car has headers of some sort.

What the pioneers of firearm manufacturing did is (to me) fascinating. How they created a firearm with what would be considered by today's standard "crude" equipment and tools. How spring rates were decided on without today's test equipment. Would someone consider creating such an ugly thing that looks like the 1911 disconnector today and know how to apply it?

We live in a time where almost anything is possible. 3D printed firearms? Unheard of 20 years ago.

Embrace what is coming. The "2011" that you lament is a product of evolution. I wonder what the "2111" will be like.

I guess I just prefer things the way they were, almost always. Cars, sports, games, etc... Too much electric in cars now, too many rules altered in sports now (no helmet contact. physical basketball.) Just seems like all we do anymore is dilute quality with one thing or another, usually for the sake of making a larger spectacle.

I guess that's where these guns stand out, they at least retain the quality, if not increase it in machining through technology. Where other things have become grotesque mutations, these have not replaced, but added to the pool. Okay, I think I've changed my tune here and found a way to appreciate this new breed.

I'll still sick with the old school, but have grown to see these for what they were intended, an homage to greatness. They are neither better, nor worse, they're simply new.

I can't lie, there's a cool factor to all these new 2011 style guns. I guess a revolver only kind of guy could look at me, as a semiautomatic only type of guy, in the same way I was looking at those with these sort of guns... lol walmart cowboys, I tell ya.

Cool, thanks for the input and enlightenment.

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1246273)
Different people have different tastes. You may love the old GI 1911s, but someone else may love the tactical versions.

Don't they call it tacticool?

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1246276)
That's why they make grocery getters and race cars, different options for those with different tastes and needs.

They way I see it, if you love ANY gun, you should love all guns, even if they don't suit you personally...

Just one persons opinion though.

Grocery getters? Lol never heard that term used before. Lol

Though I think a more astute comparison would be this to revolvers vs semiautomatic or something. Here is simply a matter of choice in 4 door or 2, since they fire pretty much the same and one just has more capacity.

texaswoodworker 05-14-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1246545)
Don't they call it tacticool?

Nope, there's a difference. :D

RIA Tactical 1911

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/IMG_1198.jpg

Not a damn clue.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...ne_cbe-tfb.jpg

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1246558)

Nope, there's a difference. :D

RIA Tactical 1911

Not a damn clue.

Lol

I'd shoot them both!

BeyondTheBox 05-14-2013 05:25 PM

So what's the intended purpose of the skeletonized trigger and hammer anyway?

Is it just a look thing, or does it have some sort of mechanical advantage? I could see, possibly, a case for the hammer, being easier to manipulate because of the wrap and angle (though barely and negligible), but other than that I'm at a loss for function.