1st Real Handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1st Real Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1st Real Handgun

So I've owned an older .38 s&w special but I had bad vibes from it and got rid of it.

Now I'm coming up on my cc class and would like to get a nice gun. Price was big and quality was also a concern.

I'm down to 2 guns I really want;

kel tec pf9

glock 23

recoil doesn't bother me. I'll eventually have both guns but am back and forth on which to get first. The pf9 is cheaper and would be easier to get at a later date. The glock is about 520 new and I'd have to make pay it out.

I shoot often enough to get good with a weapon.

Do I get the glock now while i have 75% of it paid for, or take the daily carry and price of the pf9 with cash left over for a steak dinner?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Have you taken a look at the Sigmas? Very similar to the Glock with a nicer feel. IMO. Plus a lot less. If the Low Price and Trigger scare you away, try an M&P.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #3

I'm also a big fan of the xd40 service. It's also an option I've considered

Last edited by Sooie; 05-14-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #4

i have seen the sigmas. its just not me. a friend has both calibers and loves them. i just cant see myself having it forever. i want something ill want forever lol. im trying to build a solid collection. the more i think about it, the more other guns pop in my head. ill probly have 400-500 -/+ to work with.

here are some that im thinking hard about;

PF9 - bc of the ease of carry, ease of use, and unlimited cheap ammo supply.

XD 40 4 inch service model - solid round, and sweet gun.

Glock 27 - imo cheaper than the mid size glock .40 and smaller.

Glock 26

i will eventually aquire each of these, but im thinking really hard about the pf9or XD compact or not compact. this is a very tough decision as it will be my first "big" gun purchase to carry/have. im excited. lol its like getting your 1st tattoo, the anticipation kills you, then the addiction sets in.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

What about the M&P, May as well through more choices, all the more fun when you go out to the Gun Shops. Variety is the Spice of Life.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What about the M&P, May as well through more choices, all the more fun when you go out to the Gun Shops. Variety is the Spice of Life.
Yeah I'm excited. I'll give it a look.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If budget is an issue, maybe you should give a look at more 9mm models. Any of the Glock, XD or M&P models are excellent, at least in my experience (can't say one way or the other about Sigma). Prices vary somewhat from one area of the country to the next, so what's cheaper here may be more expensive there.

I think you'll enjoy longer days at the range more with a gun that's bigger than a PF9.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Have you shot a PF9? KelTec has a pretty solid reputation for making quality, affordable carry pieces...but those same weapons are often unpleasant to shoot at the range. They're built for portability and concealability, with comfort way down on the priority list.

I'd tend to recommend a compact the size of a Glock 19/23...or similar XD, M&P, etc. These guns are framed small enough to carry, but big enough to enjoy extended range sessions.

I like the XDs best, personally. But one nice thing about the Glock 23 is that you can pick up a Lone Wolf barrel for about $100 and add a caliber such as 9mm or 357sig. Just something to consider then you're on a budget.

I'd see nothing wrong with the KelTec itself. It's just that it might not fill the multiple uses you'd desire during its tenure as your lone handgun. A compact Glock or XD probably could, however.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #9

As expected, solid advice.

I wanted the pf9 because of it's size and uniqueness. I've never shot one, just though it'd be great for carry. However I do love to shoot.

Updated choice list;

xd40 service model or compact (still dnt know)
xd9

glock 26

Glock 23

Now. Caliber. Leaning toward a 9mm in glock or .40 in xd.

No it doesn't matter but it's a big decison to me lol

Old 05-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #10

If those are your two choices and I couldn't sway you over to the M&P, I would say go with the...the...the X...X...,I can't say it. Go with the XD, there I said it.