1st Gun Purchase - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1st Gun Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HotMama View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Glock family lol! People seem to either love them or hate them.
I guess if I was to own one...that little guy dslmac2 just bought is the one I'd get

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Buy whatever caliber you like.

Note the guns in red. Personally, I'd steer clear of them...for now at least. For a first and (initially) only handgun, I wouldn't recommend a micro or a 380. They're just not terribly versatile pistols and may very well minimize your skills. But medium compacts (like the P220) and even some subcompacts (like Glocks) can handle as well as full sized pistols for some people.

By no means am I stating that any gun on your list is a bad gun. But I simply wouldn't consider those in red to be ideal first/only pistols.

I couldn't agree more but I would go just a bit further and say you should totally eliminate the Walther PPK. I refer to this gun as a "JAM-O-MATIC"

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslmac2 View Post
1:38pm just walked out with at Glock 26, three magazines, loader and a case for $425. Now I am going to order the tritium sights. Do people name there new guns like cars?? My newest toy.
Thank you everyone for your insight.

Attachment 39713
Nice deal. I held a few Glocks and was never impressed at all. Then a friend and I went shooting and I tried it for a change. Anyways bought a 27, a couple of weeks ago and have a 22 on the way in a couple of weeks. Have fun with it.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #24

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

To my mind, naming a pistol, as one might name a boat, is fine. But it should probably remain a personal thing...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Was gonna name mine "the judge" but since it's a snub nose .38 I went with "the juror"

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslmac2 View Post
1:38pm just walked out with at Glock 26, three magazines, loader and a case for $425. Now I am going to order the tritium sights. Do people name there new guns like cars?? My newest toy.
Thank you everyone for your insight.

Attachment 39713
IMHO, if you "name" your gun, don't let anyone else ever hear you refer to it by its "name". If the SHTF and you are forced to shoot someone, the guy who grins in your face and badmouths you behind your back may become a witness against you, and may bring up your naming the gun to create the illusion that the gun has an abnormal importance in your life. Which can be used to convince a jury that you are some kind of nut, a "kill-crazed maniac".

Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
IMHO, if you "name" your gun, don't let anyone else ever hear you refer to it by its "name". If the SHTF and you are forced to shoot someone, the guy who grins in your face and badmouths you behind your back may become a witness against you, and may bring up your naming the gun to create the illusion that the gun has an abnormal importance in your life. Which can be used to convince a jury that you are some kind of nut, a "kill-crazed maniac".
As an example, a young guy in Texas some years ago shot a perp who was trying to rob him in the parking lot of a shopping center. He used a S&W Model 29, a .44 Magnum revolver. He made a statement about how much he "loved" his gun, referring to it by a "pet" name. The media had a field day with that, painting a picture of him as a "gun nut", and trying to make it look as if he went to the shopping center looking for an excuse to shoot somebody.
So, just don't leave yourself vulnerable for that kind of an attack on your integrity.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #28

Liked 2548 Times on 1653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
If they are all the same, or similar enough for your needs, then here are a few questions to help you:

1) Does "Made in the USA" mean anything for you? For me it means a little, but not everything. (advantage M&P or SA)

2) Does saving some money on the gun so you can buy more ammo or a accessories mean anything to you? For a first gun, having as much ammo as you can afford RIGHT now is important. (advantage GLOCK and S&W)

3) Does having a larger after-market availability of holsters/accessories/parts important to you? Nothing beats a GLOCK on that one.

4) Do you just like the looks of one better than another? This is subjective and my opinion would mean nothing for you.

They are all 3 really good 1st guns.
Made in the USA means a lot to me. Money spent on U.S. made products helps support our economy. People that aren't laid off from any manufacturer spend their money at restaurants, malls, etc. Anyone that says "it doesn't affect me" should put some thought into this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Springfield xd made in crotia? I know they used to be.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Made in the USA means a lot to me. Money spent on U.S. made products helps support our economy. People that aren't laid off from any manufacturer spend their money at restaurants, malls, etc. Anyone that says "it doesn't affect me" should put some thought into this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Springfield xd made in crotia? I know they used to be.
The XD's are imported.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #30

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The XD's are imported.
That is true and I realize you are simply responding to a question. I would like to know why this seems to be an issue with XD's and XDM's. Nobody seems to mind that Walthers (German), SIGs (German), Beretta (some Italian) and of course Glocks (Austria) are imports.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.