1911vsGlockvsXDMvsM&P...etc - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911vsGlockvsXDMvsM&P...etc

View Poll Results: 1911 or Glock
1911 44 69.84%
Glock 19 30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
qwiksdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default

mdauben,
Bless your heart.

__________________
qwiksdraw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
icallshotgun88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 391
Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

1911 fans and Glock fans just simply have different characteristics they value about pistols..

Glock guys value a simple gun. A gun that you could never clean and it would shoot every time. They value a very reliable gun with (on average) a high capacity and one that js light weight.

1911 guys like a gun that looks good. A verrrry nice trigger. One that looks good. One they can show off. A good looking gun. A gun that fits good in their hand. They also value a good looking gun. Oh, they also like a gun with cool interchangeable grips as well as a gun that looks good.

Some may say that the 1911s are more accurate. False. It may be easier for the shooter to be more accurate with his/her 1911 that his/her Glock, but the pistol itself is no more accurate than a Glock.

Some say 1911s are a platform that has proven itself over time. Correct, it's proven that the platform is a darned good looking gun for the range and is a blast to shoot. And it's a platform that has been proven inferior to others like sig, glock, etc. when it comes to defending ones life.

Ask a tactical instructor or someone who owns a gun range. Ask someone who has seen thousands upon thousands of pistols over years and years. And ask them which one they would stake their life on.
Like I said, Glock and 1911 fans just have different values.

I value a gun I can bet my life on.
I've shot plenty of 1911s (kimbers being my favorite) and I plan on owning one of those sexy pistols at some point.

__________________
icallshotgun88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,513
Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In rebuttal to this, let me just

simply state I prefer to CC a pistol

which doesn't have a reputation

for blowing it's owner's balls off.

AND it looks like 2 out of three folks

polled prefer their

genitals to glocks...

__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 08-01-2013 at 03:48 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
icallshotgun88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 391
Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In rebuttal to this, let me just

simply state I prefer to CC a pistol

which doesn't have a reputation

for blowing it's owner's balls off.

AND it looks like 2 out of three folks

polled prefer their

genitals to glocks...
See, all the Glock haters have their 'go-to' cons about Glocks they like to point out. (You could have also talked about their ugly look, inferior trigger, etc., but good call out)
And you're correct. With no real good safety on the Glock you could see it as a con or you could see it as a benefit.
I see it as a plus, but that's because I'm smart and aware enough to not blow my leg off...
If I didn't trust myself to carry a Glock, I'd still carry numerous other pistols before I carried a 1911.
__________________

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 08-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.
icallshotgun88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88
1911 fans and Glock fans just simply have different characteristics they value about pistols..

Glock guys value a simple gun. A gun that you could never clean and it would shoot every time. They value a very reliable gun with (on average) a high capacity and one that js light weight.

1911 guys like a gun that looks good. A verrrry nice trigger. One that looks good. One they can show off. A good looking gun. A gun that fits good in their hand. They also value a good looking gun. Oh, they also like a gun with cool interchangeable grips as well as a gun that looks good.

Some may say that the 1911s are more accurate. False. It may be easier for the shooter to be more accurate with his/her 1911 that his/her Glock, but the pistol itself is no more accurate than a Glock.

Some say 1911s are a platform that has proven itself over time. Correct, it's proven that the platform is a darned good looking gun for the range and is a blast to shoot. And it's a platform that has been proven inferior to others like sig, glock, etc. when it comes to defending ones life.

Ask a tactical instructor or someone who owns a gun range. Ask someone who has seen thousands upon thousands of pistols over years and years. And ask them which one they would stake their life on.
Like I said, Glock and 1911 fans just have different values.

I value a gun I can bet my life on.
I've shot plenty of 1911s (kimbers being my favorite) and I plan on owning one of those sexy pistols at some point.
I think there's some amount of truth to your post, but I also think there's an amount of incompleteness to it too, with an obvious bias towards the Glock.

To say the 1911 hasn't proven itself over the course of 100 years in battle is ignorant. Of course militaries prefer higher capacities in their sidearms, nowadays. But, as I have pointed out in this very thread, there is such a thing as high capacity 1911s so the argument about the capacity of a Glock being superior can be invalid.

I would also point out, as has been pointed out, there are units in the military still using 1911s. Mostly "elite" units.

There are no units in the American military which utilize a Glock, nor have there ever been.

Based on all of the above, it should be obvious to all except the most biased that 1911s are proven in more of a sense than just "a darned good looking gun for the range and is a blast to shoot." 1911s have been proven in warfare throughout the last century, whereas no Glock can lay claim to that in the American repertoire.

Therefore, in my opinion, it really comes down to a preference for a thumb safety (with a short trigger pull) or not (with a longer trigger pull).


Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88

A gun that you could never clean and it would shoot every time
I'm not going to argue that point. But I will say, everything I have learned says that 1911s in their original form, meaning loose tolerances, required less maintenance and cleaning than some modern 1911s.

I like the concept of a Glock. But I hate Glock-people.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,920
Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

I see the broken record has commented in this thread!

__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
icallshotgun88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 391
Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I think there's some amount of truth to your post, but I also think there's an amount of incompleteness to it too, with an obvious bias towards the Glock.

To say the 1911 hasn't proven itself over the course of 100 years in battle is ignorant. Of course militaries prefer higher capacities in their sidearms, nowadays. But, as I have pointed out in this very thread, there is such a thing as high capacity 1911s so the argument about the capacity of a Glock being superior can be invalid.

I would also point out, as has been pointed out, there are units in the military still using 1911s. Mostly "elite" units.

There are no units in the American military which utilize a Glock, nor have there ever been.

Based on all of the above, it should be obvious to all except the most biased that 1911s are proven in more of a sense than just "a darned good looking gun for the range and is a blast to shoot." 1911s have been proven in warfare throughout the last century, whereas no Glock can lay claim to that in the American repertoire.

Therefore, in my opinion, it really comes down to a preference for a thumb safety (with a short trigger pull) or not (with a longer trigger pull).

I'm not going to argue that point. But I will say, everything I have learned says that 1911s in their original form, meaning loose tolerances, required less maintenance and cleaning than some modern 1911s.

I like the concept of a Glock. But I hate Glock-people.
I'm not saying they didn't prove themselves in battle over all those years..
But I'm saying they're proven to be inferior for battle NOWadays.
There IS a reason they still aren't in battle.

Bottom line is, if you use a firearm to protect your life, there are plenty of other choices that are much better than a 1911. (Not JUST Glock)
But if your purpose isn't for defending your life, then you can't beat a 1911. It's a darn sweet gun.

Yes, I'm sure some "elite" units carry a 1911, but I would bet it's not your average 1911 you pick up for $1200 at a local gun store. I'm sure it has been highly modified to increase reliability.
And Glocks aren't used in the military because of their demand for a steel frame, which is completely understandable, and something I agree with.
When it comes to defending your life, the 1911 platform is far less reliable than many other pistols (not just Glocks).
Yes, they proved themselves in battle many years ago. Times and technology has changed, which is why the military and law enforcement has moved on to something better.

I love 1911s. I hate the ego of SOME 1911 owners.
I'll own a 1911 soon, but I'll grab my Glock/Sig/Beretta if I ever find my life is truly in danger.

But we all know we're beating a dead horse here.
Love me those Kimber Eclipse 2's.
And it's on my list of firearms to buy...its #2. I'll buy one right after I build another AR
__________________

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 08-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
icallshotgun88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88

and technology has changed, which is why the military and law enforcement has moved on to something better.
Please tell me the difference between a 1911 in high capacity, and a Beretta M9. I would say the Beretta is actually more complicated.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #59
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,732
Liked 21502 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Default

i see someone is showing their lack of knowledge of firearms pretty well.

__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
therewolf Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i see someone is showing their lack of knowledge of firearms pretty well.
I hope not me.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Glock 1911 (lip) Vincine Semi-Auto Handguns 3 04-01-2012 11:01 PM
Glock 21 vs 1911 RedLegX Semi-Auto Handguns 46 01-03-2012 05:24 AM
1911 or glock austin125 Semi-Auto Handguns 45 12-15-2011 05:10 PM
Glock vs m&p vs xd(m) vs 1911 Paulsd Semi-Auto Handguns 3 06-02-2011 01:46 AM
1911 vs Glock saviorslegacy 1911 Forum 46 06-19-2010 07:54 AM