Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911vsGlockvsXDMvsM&P...etc

View Poll Results: 1911 or Glock
1911 44 70.97%
Glock 18 29.03%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2414 Times on 1375 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I only see OPINIONS!!! Who carries their firearms pointed at their privates??? Maybe dickless people....
There are none so blind as those who will not see...

FACT: I will carry a 1911 with confidence.

FACT: I won't endanger myself, or anybody else,

by risking carrying a glock

FACT: 66% of this poll agrees with, oh,er, me.

Get a dictionary.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-04-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #242
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6558 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Google complexity theory and applications to mechanical design. Google mechanical design efficiency and examples of mechanical design efficiency.

I believe the same thing. So why do 1911 owners point out that the Glock "safety" is on the trigger? What are they pointing out, aside from the obvious?

Yes, and once you understand how and why mechanical devices fail you may, or may not if you choose to ignore the obvious, realize that anything with more parts in it that accomplish the same operation is subject to more potential and actual failures. In real life and using mathematics, it's provable that more complicated systems have more failures.

I've personally seen 3 of my own 1911's fail to make it half that far or even one tenth that far. I've seen lots of other people with 1911's have failures. I've seen very few Glocks fail, even with very little maintenance. Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical.

I would never advocate doing that, but accidents happen. I want a pistol that has been proven to survive the odd stupid user accident.
Since you don't seem to understand "drop it", let me spell it out for you.

THE OP HAS REQUESTED THAT THIS DEBATE END NOW! THIS IS HIS THREAD, AND IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A 1911 VS GLOCK DEBATE, ONLY A POLL. DO THE MATURE THING AND DROP THE SUBJECT. EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING WHAT THE OP ASKED, YOU SHOULD TOO.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #243
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
KB, the op wants to drop the debate as it's just going round and round. as such, i am not going to argue or debate the issue further with you.

you win. Glocks are better than a 1911. happy now?
I don't want anyone to agree or disagree with me, I want someone else besides me to understand what mechanical design efficiency is and how complexity theory relates to mechanical design by teaching themselves instead of taking my word for it.

Nothing is won or lost here, Axe. It's not a contest and it's not a game. I was ONLY trying to point out how mechanical design efficiency affects the reliable operation of a mechanical tool and nobody wants to forgo their "favorite" mechanical tool for a more "efficient" mechanical tool.

I'll start a new thread so someone can explain to me using mathematics or evidence how a more complex mechanical design is more efficient than a simpler mechanical design, as it relates to pistol design.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #244
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

THE OP HAS REQUESTED THAT THIS DEBATE END NOW! THIS IS HIS THREAD, AND IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A 1911 VS GLOCK DEBATE, ONLY A POLL. DO THE MATURE THING AND DROP THE SUBJECT. EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING WHAT THE OP ASKED, YOU SHOULD TOO.
Actually, Tex, you're still at it but I'll start a new thread so you can post immature things over there.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #245

Quote:
i don't want anyone to agree or disagree with me, i want someone else besides me to understand what mechanical design efficiency is and how complexity theory relates to mechanical design by teaching themselves instead of taking my word for it.

Nothing is won or lost here, axe. It's not a contest and it's not a game. I was only trying to point out how mechanical design efficiency affects the reliable operation of a mechanical tool and nobody wants to forgo their "favorite" mechanical tool for a more "efficient" mechanical tool.

I'll start a new thread so someone can explain to me using mathematics or evidence how a more complex mechanical design is more efficient than a simpler mechanical design, as it relates to pistol design.
no one cares what you want, drop the subject.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #246
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19595 Times on 11123 Posts
Likes Given: 49334

Quote:
I don't want anyone to agree or disagree with me, I want someone else besides me to understand what mechanical design efficiency is and how complexity theory relates to mechanical design by teaching themselves instead of taking my word for it.

Nothing is won or lost here, Axe. It's not a contest and it's not a game. I was ONLY trying to point out how mechanical design efficiency affects the reliable operation of a mechanical tool and nobody wants to forgo their "favorite" mechanical tool for a more "efficient" mechanical tool.

start a new thread if you want. i have no desire to discuss or debate the subject any further with you. have a nice day.
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #247

Quote:
Actually, Tex, you're still at it but I'll start a new thread so you can post immature things over there.
I'm not still at it. I'm done with that debate. Your the one who won't let it go like the OP requested.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #248
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I appreciate everyone dropping the subject here. It was getting out of hand and going back and forth. I hope you do start your own thread, KBD. Rest assured I won't be visiting it.

That doesn't mean this thread is over. People can still post their opinions or maybe simply their reasoning for why they voted one way or the other. Keep voting too if you want. But I think the results at this point are pretty clear.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #249

Liked 2414 Times on 1375 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

Sooo, what are you trying to say?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #250
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Which pistol is more mechanically efficient, 1911 or Glock?

Can some here use mathematics to demonstrate to me how a more complicated pistol design similar a 1911 is more reliable and subject to fewer component or operation failures than a simpler pistol design similar to a Glock?

I don't want to hear about how your 1911 works great, I want you to provide mathematical evidence to demonstrate how a more complicated design is more mechanically efficient and subject to fewer failure modes than a simpler mechanical design.

My contention is that more complicated mechanical designs are subject to a greater number of failures than simpler mechanical designs. Basically, if the gun has more operationally significant parts in it, then more things can and will go wrong.

I want to understand the logical or technical reasons or arguments that some of you may have for a preference for a more mechanically complicated pistol like the 1911 over the Glock.

Feel free to state your opinion, whether you can provide evidence or not, but realize that I am most concerned with an explanation of how a more complicated mechanical design that accomplishes the same mechanical operation is or could be more reliable than a simpler design.

Closed Thread