Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   1911 reliability (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/1911-reliability-88843/)

niteglock 04-15-2013 06:16 AM

Are 1911's as reliable as a glock? Not just comparing them two guns like everyone does but I just want to know if having only one .45 firearm in 1911 platform is good enough. I used to have an Hk usp45 but sold it. Was thinking about getting either a sig p220 or a glock21/30.

I currently have a Remington R1 Enhanced. That's my only 45.

SSGN_Doc 04-15-2013 06:37 AM

No. The exposed hammer design opens them up to getting sand and grit internalized in the areas where the hammer, trigger, and trigger springs are located.

I put a 1911 through it's paces in some mud and sand. It took more abuse than I thought, but it definitely didn't like getting dirty with the hammer back and the safety on. Glock 17 and 19 chugged right along.

niteglock 04-15-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1214446)
No. The exposed hammer design opens them up to getting sand and grit internalized in the areas where the hammer, trigger, and trigger springs are located.

I put a 1911 through it's paces in some mud and sand. It took more abuse than I thought, but it definitely didn't like getting dirty with the hammer back and the safety on. Glock 17 and 19 chugged right along.

Thank you doc.

Gatoragn 04-15-2013 11:04 AM

I cannot say with certainty, that is why I own both. Make sure the bases are covered. :D

danf_fl 04-15-2013 11:11 AM

There are different levels of reliability.
If not abused, almost any firearm is reliable (to a degree).

If abused, almost firearm will fail. You just have to know the weak areas.

I've had good luck with the 1911 (so has the US military). No, I don't own a Glock. Why?
I could not get any configured to be "comfortable" for my shooting style.

jyo 04-17-2013 10:29 AM

Comparing a 100+ year old design to a much more modern design is not really fair---but to answer your question, generally, I would have to say no---but 1911s can be quite reliable---I've shot several that just refused to choke---but I come from a time when this was not always so. When Glocks first came out, I was managing a very large retail gunstore---the experienced shooters (myself included) mostly didn't care for the early Glocks---but this feeling changed as many learned one thing about Glocks---they worked! And thirty years ago, this was not the case with many pistols. I, personally don't own any Glocks, but I've found a place in my inventory for several poly-framed HKs, a couple of Walthers and three Kahrs. In 45 cal, I went with the HK 45C and for concealment, a Kahr P45.

Donn 04-17-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyo (Post 1216639)
Comparing a 100+ year old design to a much more modern design is not really fair.

+1, Apples and oranges. Out of the box? Glock. After rounds down range and maybe a little work, the 1911 shines. My 1911 will run all day long, now. That said, it's 40+ years old, had the feed ramp polished and has had thousands of rounds thru it. In most cases, (emphasis on MOST), a 1911 has to be "run in." Glocks don't.

Olympus 04-17-2013 04:01 PM

It all depends on the conditions you're carrying in. Any gun should not be assumed reliable out of the box, that includes Glock. You need to put several hundred rounds through the gun first. In normal shooting and carrying conditions, all of my 1911s are just as reliable as a Glock.

kirbinster 04-17-2013 09:31 PM

I have a Glock and a 1911. I love the 1911 and have a lot of fun shooting it, but it does jam from time to time. I have never had my glock jam.

Chainfire 04-17-2013 09:43 PM

The 1911 is the pistol I trust my personal protection. That is confidence in reliability. The most frequent problems I see with 1911 is the shooter not holding it like he loves it. They do not like a limp wrist.

I am old and set in my ways, and although I understand that the Glocks are fine hand guns, I just can't stand the thought of buying a plastic gun. I understand steel and wood.