1911 recoil spring?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 recoil spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

I love the look of the original knurled recoil spring plug in an M1911A1, but doesn't it bother you that they don't have full guide rods? A section of spring just sort of free floating?

I know it's not necessarily a known issue, but seems to me to be a set up for failures. Is this more common in 70 series? I know the new age 1911 and 2011 types tend to use full rods either with open ended plugs or no plug at all. Guess it depends if there's a barrel bushing or not.

Which is the lesser of evils for you?

Do you swap them out for a different style?

Am I being nit picky again? Lol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Well I have only ever shot a gun with a full length rod in it but I always wondered the same. I feel that this thread might expose some deep seated beliefs in the true 1911 lovers.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Recently purchased my first 1911 so I'll b following along to hear more

Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Some Kimber 1911's have the short guide rod and they function just fine. I would upgrade the stock spring to a Wolff recoil spring.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I have a varied selection of both long and short.

I used to fall for the hype that the long rod would stop the "kinking" of the recoil spring during recoil.

Then one night, I was awaken by a presence in my room. Now this was not the dog wanting to go out, but something that had the tallness and a type of aura that would only be of a supreme being. JMB dropped by to discuss some things. I asked him about the full length guide. He revealed a discussion he had with some Lt Col when the 1911 was going under acceptance trials. The Lt Col asked about have full length rods in the 1911 (like the other guns) and kinking. JMB explained to him (and to me) that the dern spring was suppose to kink.

Using this new revelation, I have determined that any 1911 I assemble would not have a full length guide. Although I have not changed any out of those that were in new guns, I would still support the short guide as JMB designed.

My non-extended rods allow the disassembly and reassembly of 1911s per the instructions given to the US military by JMB.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I love the look of the original knurled recoil spring plug in an M1911A1, but doesn't it bother you that they don't have full guide rods? A section of spring just sort of free floating?

I know it's not necessarily a known issue, but seems to me to be a set up for failures. Is this more common in 70 series? I know the new age 1911 and 2011 types tend to use full rods either with open ended plugs or no plug at all. Guess it depends if there's a barrel bushing or not.

Which is the lesser of evils for you?

Do you swap them out for a different style?

Am I being nit picky again? Lol
Think about it...Where does the spring have to go? I've had them with both full and mil spec rods and I've not found any evidence that the longer rod made a difference. The only thing I advocate to new 1911 people is to have a new recoil spring around to use as a measure. If the spring in the gun gets over 2 coils shorter then replace it. They don't cost much so I usually away shave a few in my gun cleaning/tool box. the only issue I've had with 1911's are bad mags and word recoil springs. Honestly the only thing I've noticed that a full length rod gives is more trouble breaking them down. The two piece rods require a tool and the one piece rods make it a little harder to turn the barrel bushing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I have a varied selection of both long and short.

I used to fall for the hype that the long rod would stop the "kinking" of the recoil spring during recoil.

Then one night, I was awaken by a presence in my room. Now this was not the dog wanting to go out, but something that had the tallness and a type of aura that would only be of a supreme being. JMB dropped by to discuss some things. I asked him about the full length guide. He revealed a discussion he had with some Lt Col when the 1911 was going under acceptance trials. The Lt Col asked about have full length rods in the 1911 (like the other guns) and kinking. JMB explained to him (and to me) that the dern spring was suppose to kink.

Using this new revelation, I have determined that any 1911 I assemble would not have a full length guide. Although I have not changed any out of those that were in new guns, I would still support the short guide as JMB designed.

My non-extended rods allow the disassembly and reassembly of 1911s per the instructions given to the US military by JMB.
Interesting, and good point, but the idea of kinking simply bugs the bajezus out of me, too much so.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Kinking is not a problem. Where is the recoil spring going to pop out to?
It is in a "captive" environment.

Compressing it in a pistol is totally different than trying to compress it on a table top.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

Oh I know it's not going anywhere, never questioned that, but that's not the point for me, it's simply a bothersome thought. Rational, perhaps not, but a pet peeve nonetheless.

Like I said, seems a set up for failures and unnecessary jams. Again, I know it's not a known issue, but I'm a preventative type and would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #10

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There is no more side to side wobble in the recoil spring with a standard short rod, than there is with a full length guide rod.

It may SEEM contrary to what you feel is sensible, but the man who designed it, designed his first rifle at (I think) 11 years old. He had a lot of practice before he built the 1911, and it's been working since 1910.