1911 question? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Good Cane, how long have you had that Colt?

You don't put good money toward things that are going down in quality just because of a name, atleast I don't.
Not quite a year. I think you can spend a lot more money on other 1911s but why?

Colt is the original and I'm proud of every Colt I own.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Not quite a year. I think you can spend a lot more money on other 1911s but why?

Colt is the original and I'm proud of every Colt I own.
No doubt about that Cane.

The answer to the why would be the quality issue i talked about, nothing more. However, Colt customer service has high marks.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Read around and you will find that the colt's just aren't what they use to be.

Specs were widened and overall quality has just dropped from what I've read.

A BIG reason why I chose the kimber over the colt.
Agreed, and you were wise to choose a Kimber over a Colt.

The first 1911 I ever owned was a Colt, and I have fond memories of that pistol. However, in the 21st century, Kimber is the king of the hill when it comes to production and semi-custom 1911's.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Default Best 1911

I have a Para and Randall and a Foster Industries(Parent company of Caspian)built up gun that I assembled for parts. The best one is the one that I have in my hand at the time.
Colts are legendary for a lot of things but you will not find many at a national championship match nor will you find them sponsoring many matches anymore.

One thing that makes 1911s great is the diversity of brands and models and endless modifications.

Look hard at all the variations and do not get hung up with any brand.

Have fun and be safe.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Agreed, and you were wise to choose a Kimber over a Colt.

The first 1911 I ever owned was a Colt, and I have fond memories of that pistol. However, in the 21st century, Kimber is the king of the hill when it comes to production and semi-custom 1911's.
Mighty bold statement to make. I'd say the 1st series Kimbers are the equal of a Colt; however, the later model Kimbers - I'd say no...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Mighty bold statement to make. I'd say the 1st series Kimbers are the equal of a Colt; however, the later model Kimbers - I'd say no...
Indeed, I would agree with NGIB on this, based on my experience with both and others I shoot with.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Indeed, I would agree with NGIB on this, based on my experience with both and others I shoot with.

Jack
I expect Cane will drop by and add his 2 cents to this one...

Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think Kimber is experiencing the same thing most companies find when fast expansion occurs.

Glock is a case in point, good concept but zero improvement in each generation. Just the opposite, the bean counters take a shot at cutting costs and the product suffers.

I have no skin in this game. If you like Kimber, knock yourself out! But I’ll bet you in ten years you will still be proclaiming that your Kimber is better than a Colt.

You know what I’ll be saying? “I’ve got a Colt!” (Several Colts)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The hard truth usually is bold.

Are you in the firearms business? I've been on the gun show circuit since the 1980's, and I talk to hundreds of gun dealers per year, from a number of different states. Kimber is the biggest manufacturer and seller of 1911's on the planet.

Springfield Armory is a distant second in sales. Colt isn't even taken seriously anymore. If they had to rely on their 1911 sales alone, Colt would've been out of business years ago. Hardly anybody buys them nowadays.

I currently own three of the "evil" series II Kimbers that the purists love to rant and rage about. With a combined total of over 10,000 230-grain hardball rounds through them, I've had a grand total of ONE malfunction, compliments of one of the magazines. NOT the pistol itself. I adjusted the lip of the magazine a bit, and it's been perfect ever since.

One of them has over 6000 rounds through it, with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION. Not a single malfunction whatsoever, including during the "dreaded" break-in period that the Kimber-haters assured me was going to be so troublesome.

6000 out of 6000 is all the reliability I need. I never got that kind of reliability out of my 1970's Colts, or any of the Springfields I've ever owned.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What are you going to use the 1911 for?

If you are just going to shoot it occasionally, and use it as a home defense weapon, then get something like a Springfield Armory GI model (around 550 dollars). Kahr Arms makes a decent budget level 1911 also for around the same price catagory. The Taurus PT1911 is a great choice also for a budget 1911.

For CC purposes Colt, Springfield and Kimber does have some decent offerings in the compact 1911 arena.

If you are looking for a more top of the line brand, I suggest you go with something from Dan Wesson, Les Bauer, Nighthawk, or Wilson. They are very expensive, though.

Personally, I am a big Springfield Armory guy.