Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   1911 question? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/1911-question-16447/)

hogger129 08-02-2009 09:49 PM

1911 question?

I am planning on getting a 1911. I am pretty sure I want to get a Colt because everybody tells me Colt is the best, and after going and looking at some and asking around, it sounds like Colt is the best one. Are there other 1911's that are better? I feel a bit like I am paying for name brand and not always quality. I do want to avoid Springfields. From what I hear, they jam alot. I would like a stainless one and I was looking at some Series 70's and Series 80's... just wondering if one is better than the other and what one could expect to pay for one new.

Also, are airsoft guns a good way to practice for having a real gun? One of my friends was asking about it but is uncertain about owning a real firearm and wants to become comfortable with something close first. I told him to get a .22 pistol and practice with that. But I figure an airsoft pistol is built to pretty closely resemble a real firearm, except that it shoots bb's instead of bullets. Plus if he wanted to go shoot it or something outside, you wouldn't have the neighbors complaining about gunshots.

So if someone could answer my questions for me that would be highly appreciated.

General_lee 08-03-2009 01:26 AM

IMO a 1911 is a 1911,I know there are some people that will disagree with me, but you have to understand that it's a matter of opinion, as long as you have a name brand, you can't go wrong. For instance, I own a smith & wesson sigma, some people have told me it's a piece of crap and that i should get a glock instead, the truth is a sigma has the exact same inner guts as a glock, so if my s&w is a POS the a glock is a POS too, I have never had a problem with my smith in any way. But back to 1911's, I know a guy who has had a springfield for about 2 years, has never even cleaned it, (although I have begged him to) and still has not had a problem.
Just about any 1911 is good, para-ordnance makes good 1911's although they are pricey,
springfields are good, taurus 1911's are fairly inexpensive but are still fine weapons.

Slawth 08-03-2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogger129 (Post 138442)
Also, are airsoft guns a good way to practice for having a real gun? One of my friends was asking about it but is uncertain about owning a real firearm and wants to become comfortable with something close first.

Is he looking to hold up a lemonade stand?

I am not sure there is any practice for owning a "real" gun. If he isn't comfortable, he can to read up on his states gun laws as well as firearm safety and responsibility and then spend some time renting at a range or shooting with friends that are more experienced to get comfortable before buying a handgun. He'll want to do this anyway to find out which pistol feels the most natural and best in-hand.

There is no question that Colt is a fine firearm and you can't go wrong choosing one. The best... mmm, that is up for debate.(Cane will surely dispute this- immediately followed by some fancy Colt GIF file) There are a wide range of high quality 1911's out there depending on your budget. You can also buy an inexpensive but solid model and build it to a top notch firearm as your budget allows.

hogger129 08-03-2009 02:14 AM

How are those Gold Cup Colt 1911s? Anyone here own one?

UnderFire 08-03-2009 03:55 AM

Colts are legendary. Period.
Can't go wrong with any 1911 Colt series out there.

Gojubrian 08-03-2009 06:48 AM

Read around and you will find that the colt's just aren't what they use to be.

Specs were widened and overall quality has just dropped from what I've read.

A BIG reason why I chose the kimber over the colt.

canebrake 08-04-2009 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will match my XSE against any Kimber!

Attachment 4987

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...coltlogo50.gif

You're not paying for the name, you are buying a legend!

Don't buy a 1911, buy the Best 1911 - COLT!

And I'm pretty sure that today's kimbers are more expensive than their Colt counterparts.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

Gojubrian 08-05-2009 02:13 AM

Good Cane, how long have you had that Colt?

You don't put good money toward things that are going down in quality just because of a name, atleast I don't.

slammr 08-05-2009 02:22 AM

No knowledge of Colt, but I've been reading a couple of other gun forums and haven't seen a lot of talk about Colt 1911's. Kimber, STI, Springfield, yes. So take some time; ask around, shoot some if you can.

Gojubrian 08-05-2009 02:28 AM

Welcome slammr. Stop by the intro thread and let us get to know you.

I've read several threads abour colt's quality slipping on thr and tfl.

I also talked to my local shops. They've had to send back several new colts and have had disgruntled customers because of it. They haven't had problems with kimbers,etc..