Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1911

whats better a rock island armory 1911 or a american classic 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I've never had the pleasure of being acquainted with a RIA. I purchased the AMII a while back and LOVE it. The only issue, and you WILL have this issue if you buy an American Classic, is that they have a feed issue. I fixed mine by using Tripp Research Cobra Mags (I think, I've only run 6 mags through it since getting a Tripp mag). Others say it's a problem with the mag release.

If you are willing to spend the extra effort to straighten out the feed issue when you get it, an American Classic is a hell of a deal for the features you get standard on them.

Again I haven't touched a RIA so I can't compare them for you. Here's a couple of links about the American Classics. The first link IIRC has some brief comparison of the RIA and AC.

American Classic Commander

My New American Classic II

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #3

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I've had both. Citadel (Armscor-made, same as a RIA) and I currently have an American Classic Commander. The Citadel had a very poor, thin finish. It was prone to developing a film of rust. It wouldn't feed a single round of hollowpoint ammo, no matter the make. The front sight would come loose after about 50 rounds and would drift from side to side. You could here it sliding if you shook the pistol. I sold the gun after owning it for a few months.

I just bought the American Classic a few weeks ago. First time shooting, the mag that came with the gun wouldn't hold more than 2 rounds before the follower bound up. When using different mags, the mag catch would cant the rounds downward and they would hit the frame way below the bottom of the feed ramp. It wouldn't feed a single round using 3 different, good quality mags. The gun is currently at a warranty center for the issue.

Wish I had better things to say, but I've had problems with both right out of the box.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Save up a little more and start looking at Springfield, or Remington, or even Taurus. You'll be much happier.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Save up a little more and start looking at Springfield, or Remington, or even Taurus. You'll be much happier.
Words to heed.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default RIA Rules!!!!!

I have a 1911-A1. No problems. Natural pointer. Finish is a little thin. Love it!!

mina1.jpg

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't forget Ruger has just come out with its own Made in the USA 1911, modeled after the Series 70, and decked out in stainless with a beavertail, Novak sights, skeletonized hammer, and adjustable trigger...

Last edited by misterballistic; 04-26-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

There were 2 Philippine 1911 makers.
One was S.A.M. (they supplied Charles Daly and a few others.)
The other is ARMSCOR.
I tried to google SAM with no success, so I think they may have gone out of business.
ARMSCOR and RIA are the same, and my guess is that if the American Classic is of Philipppine manufacture, then it too would be coming from ARMSCOR.

Heed the advice of others and save for a Springfield. I have one I bought over 20 years ago, and it will still shoot better than some newer ones.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There were 2 Philippine 1911 makers.
One was S.A.M. (they supplied Charles Daly and a few others.)
The other is ARMSCOR.
I tried to google SAM with no success, so I think they may have gone out of business.
ARMSCOR and RIA are the same, and my guess is that if the American Classic is of Philipppine manufacture, then it too would be coming from ARMSCOR.

Heed the advice of others and save for a Springfield. I have one I bought over 20 years ago, and it will still shoot better than some newer ones.
American Classics are definitely not made by Armscor.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

That is why I said "...my guess is the if the American Classic is of Philippine manufacture..."

I do not know who Eagle Imports gets them from.

Any ideas?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)