Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   To 1911 or 1911A1? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/1911-1911a1-90809/)

BeyondTheBox 05-17-2013 02:48 AM

To 1911 or 1911A1?
 
WWI vs WWII?

I mean really, what are the differences? Both have lanyard loop don't they? The A1 has that protruding hammer spring housing which sits more flush with the grip safety and is way more comfortable to hold because of it. Slight difference in front blade sight and shape of cut out in rear sight?

I'm sure I'm missing some things, but what else? Just curiosity.

danf_fl 05-17-2013 10:12 AM

The cut outs near the trigger
The trigger itself
The grip safety is longer
The hammer is different
The main spring housing

BeyondTheBox 05-17-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249456)
The cut outs near the trigger
The trigger itself
The grip safety is longer
The hammer is different
The main spring housing

I can always count on you to be willing to educate me Dan, thanks for that!

I forgot about the trigger, the A1 has a lower profile trigger right?

Didn't realize the grip safety was different lengths, that's really cool. Do you have a preference? Is like to try a plain M1911 and see the difference for myself.

I think these subtle changes are really cool and, when in hand, maybe not so subtle.

Is the main spring housing what I'm caking the hammer spring housing? Lol

danf_fl 05-17-2013 08:36 PM

Hammer spring housing / main spring housing (depends on nomenclature)

The grip safety was extended in an attempt to stop hammer bite. That, in turn, dictated a different shped hammer.
The trigger was shortened for smaller hands in the 1911a1.
And the arched hammer spring housing was an attempt to compensate for flinching.

Today, manufacturer's are putting the original 1911 parts back on to the 1911a1 frame.

BeyondTheBox 05-17-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249918)
Hammer spring housing / main spring housing (depends on nomenclature)

Gotcha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249918)
The grip safety was extended in an attempt to stop hammer bite. That, in turn, dictated a different shped hammer.

Makes sense. I didn't realize hammer bite was an issue with the original 1911. I'll have to get my hands on one some day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249918)
The trigger was shortened for smaller hands in the 1911a1.
And the arched hammer spring housing was an attempt to compensate for flinching.

I love the lower profile trigger, but either would suit me just fine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1249918)
Today, manufacturer's are putting the original 1911 parts back on to the 1911a1 frame.

Really? Is it more coveted? I consider the A1 a gigantic upgrade in many ways, such as those outlined in this thread. But I can see where WWI stuff is much more sought after, as is anything more true to original form in collectibles.

danf_fl 05-17-2013 11:28 PM

Some new 1911s will have the long trigger, flat hammer spring housing.

BeyondTheBox 05-18-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1250074)
Some new 1911s will have the long trigger, flat hammer spring housing.

I think I've actually noticed that, now that you mention the specifics.

In any case, they're all truly beautiful guns! What a platform! That man was a genius!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.