12 Gauge Pump Shotgun vs .45 Semi auto handgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun vs .45 Semi auto handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 876 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default 12 gauge or 1911

I go with the 1911 45. First, because I am an expert with it and it also keeps one hand free. Plus, my home has 7w nite lights though out the home, and when I wake up at night, I have sufficient light to see what I am doing. I have shot the 1911 so much, I do not need to see my sights, I can point and shoot very well at 10 to 20 feet and nail my target.

Practice pays off!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #22

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Interesting point, Dear...the night lights. I actually prefer to have few night lights. I know my home and any BG does NOT. I'd prefer to hear the BG bumping into stuff. If an intruder has NV, I've got bigger problems than some street punk would bring.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21546 Times on 12237 Posts
Likes Given: 53660

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Interesting point, Dear...the night lights. I actually prefer to have few night lights. I know my home and any BG does NOT. I'd prefer to hear the BG bumping into stuff. If an intruder has NV, I've got bigger problems than some street punk would bring.
i too have some that emit a small amount of light, which is much better than total darkness.

if the BG has NV goggles, it means he is well financed and ain't there to steal the DVD player!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #24

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
It's 3:00am. Your house is dark since all the lights are off. The silence is broken with the violent sound of a door being kicked in then multiple footsteps in another room....you know that noone else in your family or acquaintance should be in the house...
You first reach for the cell phone and dial 911! I would then throw my BIB (bug in bag with BHP, six loaded mags, two flashlights and two knives, no, really) over my shoulder. Grab my shotgun and wife and position us in my predetermined defensive location.

You're all dead, except maybe Chris, "I am getting behind my bed with my shotgun facing the bedroom door." and he forgot (along with the rest of you) to call 911 and leave the phone connected.

Hunker down and wait for one of two people to show up; 1. The LEO clearing your house (best case) or, 2. Your target as he enters your line of fire.

MAKE THEM COME TO YOU! This means either the LEO or the goblin.

This is the only safe way to combat home invasion. If you exit the bedroom it can only be viewed as hunting, NOT self defense.

I'm not saying don't be macho, I am saying be smart.

And remember to do it right. If you do, the open phone is your friend!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #25

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Agree with the open line with 911, but the layout of my home doesn't afford me the hunker down method as my sons and daughters rooms are before my room in the hall. I would have to control hallway to keep bg from getting to my children. Line of sight is limited but the way my house is laidout bg would have to cross my LOS to get to any other room besides living room.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 570

1st my alarm should be making a lot of noise and it is monitored. 2nd I keep a cell phone, a regular phone and a remote for the alarm next to the bed at night. There is also a full control panel in my bedroom. 3rd I am not going hunting and no kids to protect. 4th XD45c (11 rounds +2 mags) with light on night stand and shotgun (7 rounds) in the walk in closet along with AR. Wife has a 9mm with 17 rounds on her night stand. We also have an outside access from the bedroom.
We live in a very low crime area and most residents are armed. We also have Castle Doctrine. There are a lot easier targets than my house. I have to figure that someone invading my house at night would be after something specific like firearms and they may find the ammo first.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #27

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Agree with the open line with 911, but the layout of my home doesn't afford me the hunker down method as my sons and daughters rooms are before my room in the hall. I would have to control hallway to keep bg from getting to my children. Line of sight is limited but the way my house is laidout bg would have to cross my LOS to get to any other room besides living room.
My post is what canebrake does, not what all members should do.

That's why I stated, "Grab my shotgun and wife and position us in my predetermined defensive location."

Bear, you have obviously thought out what YOU need to do. That's the whole idea of defensive preparation resulting in readiness.

You'd be surprised how many people are clueless to any form of situational awareness. I call them pre-victims, or liberals.

What do you call a liberal that's just been mugged? A Conservative.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My steps are between the master bedroom and kids bedrooms.

Our plan is to defend the steps from an out of view spot in the hallway above, after calling 911 and making sure everyone is accounted for.
I have a 686 accessible in the night stand in a quick release safe and a mossy 500 ext tube in a shotlock vault in the closet. Nothing downstairs worth being a hero over.

I also have a saferoom on the first floor with a phone line and shotlocked model 12 out of sight in a closet.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7042 Times on 4238 Posts
Likes Given: 8487

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You first reach for the cell phone and dial 911! I would then throw my BIB (bug in bag with BHP, six loaded mags, two flashlights and two knives, no, really) over my shoulder. Grab my shotgun and wife and position us in my predetermined defensive location.

You're all dead, except maybe Chris, "I am getting behind my bed with my shotgun facing the bedroom door." and he forgot (along with the rest of you) to call 911 and leave the phone connected.

Hunker down and wait for one of two people to show up; 1. The LEO clearing your house (best case) or, 2. Your target as he enters your line of fire.

MAKE THEM COME TO YOU! This means either the LEO or the goblin.

This is the only safe way to combat home invasion. If you exit the bedroom it can only be viewed as hunting, NOT self defense.

I'm not saying don't be macho, I am saying be smart.

And remember to do it right. If you do, the open phone is your friend!
This is it. Thanks, Cane.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21546 Times on 12237 Posts
Likes Given: 53660

i think everyones situation might be different based on many different variables, single or married, kids or no kids in the house, floorplan of the house, upstairs or downstairs, dogs or no dogs, alarm sytem or no alarm system, ect., ect....

everyone needs to plan for their own situation. in the situation there are kids in the house, and they are on the opposite side of the home, a parents first reaction will be to put themselves between the BG and their kids. if only single or just the wife, might be better to hunker down and stay in defensable position whil on the phone to 911. i think the main point Cane was making was to think and make some sort of plan to be prepared for a situation like this. probably wouldn't hurt to have an alternate plan also.