Who's all excited about the new open carry law? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oklahoma Gun Forum >

Who's all excited about the new open carry law?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I don't see how you need evidence to show that someone intending wanting to shoot people would try to eliminate the biggest threat to him first. The guy advertising that I have a firearm would be first. Who would you hypothetically shoot first. ? Being armed here would identify you as someone of interest to certain organisations that want to murder you or steal your firearms. People forcing their way into homes here and stealing firearms is a problem the best security is them not knowing you have firearms.
Again, pure conjecture and nothing else.

Feel free to slip on over to this other thread. Maybe you missed the link I posted, so here it is. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/why-anti-oc-argument-90218/

You may be interested to know that so far we've identified exactly one criminal who has targeted an OC, taken their gun, and killed them with it. In the Philippines.

And you could tell me all day long that common sense dictates. Common sense also dictates that you need evidence to support a claim. You can't just pull arguments out of thin air and get sand in your cooter when it's not accepted as the Gospel of the Christ.

Insurance companies don't pay out just on your word that you totaled your car. They collect evidence. Courts don't drop murder charges just because you say you didn't do it. They present evidence to a jury who decides if it's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. Your girlfriend (or boyfriend if that applies to anyone else) may not take your word that your not fooling around, she (or he) will keep their eyes open and see if there's any evidence.

How can you claim anything if you can't prove it's happened? Your argument is automatically null and void if you can't support it. This is a widely accepted rule in the professional and personal world.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 837 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Carry what ever way you want you are in a minority thinking that open carry is the way to go. The only reason that I can see for open carry unless its the only option is posing. PS What reason for open carrying do you see when concealed carrying is a option.

Last edited by manta; 05-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Carry what ever way you want you are in a minority thinking that open carry is the way to go. The only reason that I can see for open carry unless its the only option is posing.
You can think whatever you want, and yes it is the minority way. It is also the only option available to me in particular, and many others as well. Some CHOOSE to do it, and if I had a choice, I honestly wouldn't, but only because I would prefer concealed, not because of any fear of being targeted.

You're avoidance and subject change proves to me that even you know your augment is invalid without any evidence.

I invite you to keep trying to back up your claim. If you don't want to back it up, or address the issue presented to you, but keep driving in circles, that's considered trolling in many online communities, and rude.

I also invite you to go to the thread I started on the subject so that this one is no longer hijacked. That's just rude.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 837 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Who's all excited about the new open carry law the governor's goona sign and what is your opinion on it?
Quote:
I invite you to keep trying to back up your claim. If you don't want to back it up, or address the issue presented to you, but keep driving in circles, that's considered trolling in many online communities, and rude.

I also invite you to go to the thread I started on the subject so that this one is no longer hijacked. That's just rude.
I give my opinion on open carry how is that of topic. As for trolling is having a different opinion to others trolling.

Last edited by manta; 05-06-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #35

Quote:

I give my opinion on open carry how is that of topic. As for trolling is having a different opinion to others trolling.
Now you're changing it up again? Are you addressing me or the thread? If you're addressing me, you're trolling for a couple of reasons:
1 you ARE avoiding the issue I've addressed to you, and going in circles. It was a very simple question. Can you provide any hard evidence to support your claim or not?
2 this thread is about the new laws in Texas, which I'll note, you're far from even this side of the world, much less Texas, which happens to be my next door neighbor, resulting in my taking a personal interest. As this subject of "evidence of OCers being targeted" is only loosely related, I've provided a new thread, and have invited you multiple times to take the discussion there. I've even provided a direct path to said thread. Instead, you insist on arguing the matter on a thread I've clearly indicated I no longer want to clutter with this topic.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Trip since you quoted me I'll respond. I'm not arguing for one or the other. I hate to argue something with somebody when what they do works for em and what I do works for me. Just stating what I've seen and what I do. You can OC, CC, whichever you like. I won't argue for you to do one or the other based on any or no evidence I do or don't have that this, that, or anything else could potentially happen. It's my own personal worry wart that keeps me from OC. Nothing more than just my own personal preference

Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
Trip since you quoted me I'll respond. I'm not arguing for one or the other. I hate to argue something with somebody when what they do works for em and what I do works for me. Just stating what I've seen and what I do. You can OC, CC, whichever you like. I won't argue for you to do one or the other based on any or no evidence I do or don't have that this, that, or anything else could potentially happen. It's my own personal worry wart that keeps me from OC. Nothing more than just my own personal preference
Well since you responded, I'll respond in kind.

I want you to know, it's no personal beef. It's an argument that I've championed for a long time. I've never begrudged anyone their preference, and I honestly prefer CC myself.

I just tire of hearing the myth propagated over and over that eagle eyed criminal is going to target a person if they OC.

It's a myth as far as I can tell, with almost no basis in reality, or at least, not nearly enough that I personally think it should be considered a legitimate fact of life.

If you look through the thread I've linked, which has turned into a huge Pissing match really, you'll see that so far we've only identified ONE case where a man had his openly carried firearm taken and used against him, and it happened in the Philippines. A few other cases of store clerks who have been in similar situations, these were unsubstantiated but considered a viable example, and we've acknowledged that we pretty much know ours happened to cops who have the task of deliberately going into harm's way. Even though we can't seem to remember specific instances, we know it's happened.

But, the idea that an average law abiding citizen who open carries will have their gun snatched and used against them, or be targeted in some other way, so far falls to that one case overseas.

THAT'S all I'm getting at. I have no concern over anyone's preference or opinion on the matter. I have mine, and I'm not that big of a proponent of OC, is just what I have available.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #38

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Ok. Ill bite.

Look at any tactical training system(I dare say any in use today). Be it military or LEO. Any subject with a weapon of any sort is to be a "primary threat" or someone who will get watched a lot as a possible target.

I don't care about precedence. Any person with a visible weapon is a greater threat to me than any other person who I cannot see a weapon on them. If I cannot see a weapon on them doesn't mean they don't have one. But I will be more attentive of a person who has one that I can see.

That is called tactics. Situational awareness dictates that the most dangerous suspect is the one with a weapon that I can identify. Not to say that all others are excluded. They are "possibly" as dangerous.

People are not as stupid as you apparently think. Take two seconds and become a criminal in your mind. The first person you shoot during a criminal action will be the one with the greatest threat against you. i.e. the first mo' fo' you see with a gat strapped to his body.

As has been stated before- to each their own. It is a right. Therefore exercise it if you want to. But don't lie and try to muddy the water with some bs since you want to compare #'s. the real world isn't that simple. If it Is a possibility, then it will happen. It is only a matter of time, circumstance, and being reported correctly.

Threat assessment happens on many levels. One of the first is identifying dangerous objects on or near a person. I don't begrudge anyone their right to oc. I have the same right. I choose not to.

I, however, will choose to be far away from any individual open carrying if I am ever involved in a criminal event(and no I won't be one if the criminals). And I pray you are right and the person with a pistol in his hip on an owb rig gets looked at square in the face by the criminal and the criminal tells him "cool pistol".

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #39

You can think about it however you want, and analyze it however you want. But if it doesn't happen, it simply doesn't happen.

Have your preference, and have whatever reasoning you want for your preference, I'm just saying that no one can state it as a fact without SOMETHING to support that claim.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #40

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Again, pure conjecture and nothing else.

Feel free to slip on over to this other thread. Maybe you missed the link I posted, so here it is. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/why-anti-oc-argument-90218/

You may be interested to know that so far we've identified exactly one criminal who has targeted an OC, taken their gun, and killed them with it. In the Philippines.

And you could tell me all day long that common sense dictates. Common sense also dictates that you need evidence to support a claim. You can't just pull arguments out of thin air and get sand in your cooter when it's not accepted as the Gospel of the Christ.

Insurance companies don't pay out just on your word that you totaled your car. They collect evidence. Courts don't drop murder charges just because you say you didn't do it. They present evidence to a jury who decides if it's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt. Your girlfriend (or boyfriend if that applies to anyone else) may not take your word that your not fooling around, she (or he) will keep their eyes open and see if there's any evidence.

How can you claim anything if you can't prove it's happened? Your argument is automatically null and void if you can't support it. This is a widely accepted rule in the professional and personal world.
The MIT police officer, shot after the Boston bombings, was open carrying, and killed because two bad guys had one handgun, one too few, so the bad guy with the gun, walks up to the officer, politely asking directions, and out of the blue, shoots the officer, point blank in the head.

The officer had a holster that locked down the firearm, so they ended up running away without his gun. Police officer shot, killed to get his gun, which they failed at doing.

Open carry is a kettle of worms. No off duty officer open carries, for a good reason.

Last edited by AR10; 05-07-2013 at 01:20 PM.