Practice shooting at home

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Oklahoma Gun Forum > Practice shooting at home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2399 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 2518

Default Practice shooting at home

Question: Is there any type of gun that can be used for practice shooting at home in town?

I live in Glenpool, OK in one of the developments on the east side of town. I know that I can dry fire all I want at home. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I can live fire anything, like an Airsoft gun or a BB gun or a paintball gun. Does it make any difference whether I shoot inside or outside the house (at an appropriate backstop, of course)?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9571 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

First, airsoft has no real accuracy- smoothbore, as are almost all BB guns. Pellet guns, OTOH, are eerily accurate. They DO make pellet traps that are intended to catch those, and they can be used indoors.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=slv8-hpd10&va=airgun+pellet+traps

There are also cartridges made for indoor target use- no powder, plastic bullet, reusable. Cardboard box with crumpled newspaper for bullet trap.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

There are also lasers that can be used for practice. Or build your own....
http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Shooting-Range-laser-guntarget/

Back in the early dawn of time, the military used a Holifield Dotter Cartridge for training- firing pin made a small rod pop out of muzzle, and make a dot on a paper target a couple of inches from the muzzle. Make your own, using a pencil with masking tape rolled around it to to make a loose fit for the barrel. Sounds simple, but may be harder to get those dots to converge than you think.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Just get some snapping caps and practice in front of the mirror.

All martial arts include a mirror phase to improve your speed and form.

Snapping caps help you improve your trigger squeeze.

Working with your firearm and snapping caps helps you develop familiarity.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I set up a shooting range in my living room, and shoot a Powerline BB pistol to practice trigger control and aiming.
Works great.
http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-Powerline-Pistol/dp/B000WER6MY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1338430123&sr=8-13

powerline-201.jpg  

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Snap caps for dry firing is the best indoor practice you can do.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.